IF you considered 6 edge+, why did you decide on the Note 5?

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
No need to sell me on the Note. I love my Note 3. Adore it. Not just my favorite phone ever, but one of my favorite tech devices ever. Maybe my favorite.

But I'm also shallow and easily distracted by shiny things, so in addition to the Note 5, I'm sorely tempted by the 6 edge+.

You've obviously largely settled on the Note 5, but I'd like to know SPECIFICALLY why, in the SPECIFIC context of the 6 edge+, and SPECIFICALLY from people who put both of 'em in their hands, maybe have a family member with an edge+ so you've been able to compare at close quarters, or any other kind of intense scrutiny that you've applied to BOTH of them.

That is, just as I don't need to be sold on the Note, I don't need to be persuaded that the edge+ is shallow, useless or whatever. I'm conceding that. BUT IT'S SO SHINY. And what's life without a little shiny shallowness?

It seems to me to come down to the Pen vs. The Curve.

For me, the Pen is not necessarily a plus. (See what I did there?) As crazy as I am about the Note 3, I'm at the Fifth Stage of S Pen Grief: 1) Frustration, 2) Dismay, 3) Embarrassment, 4) Disgust, and now, 5) Hatred.

I look forward to hearing all the ways that this is FINALLY the S Pen that makes me want to do something other than cry or scream.

The curve looks cool to me, and I do like the illusion of bevel-less-ness on the edge+, but it kinda does make the pictures seem a little smaller (which I swore I'd never do)....but IT'S SO SHINY. I can't get over how sleek I think it looks, which is part of the reason we buy the phones we buy...or really, anything else. Looks count.

And also, being honest here, part of my hesitation of just doing it is feeling like the Note is the King of the Beasts...albeit a bit less so these days.

So is that all it comes down to in the end? The Pen vs. The Curve? Plus my ego having a hard time going Note-less?

I genuinely appreciate any guidance you can offer me.

nasc2k

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I got the note because of the pen. If the edge plus had the s pen, I would have gotten that. I love the curved screen, it looks and feels awesome. But it's purely an aesthetic thing for me. I use the s pen anytime I copy and paste text, anytime I need to take a note of something, anytime I have a very small annoying menu, or whenever I don't feel like using my thumbs on the phone. When tasked with making a choice, I always choose the thing that is more practical. Note 5 features are just much more practical to me than a cool looking curved screen.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
It's a cool effect, but to me pictures and websites look strange where it curves on both sides. Like kind of distorted or something. Also, I was worried that if I dropped the phone on its face that a case wouldn't protect it as well as with the regular flat screens. I drop my phone a lot...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

eclectic11

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
More for less and it's that simple for me. Plus I'm a Note fan. But I did consider using my Note 4 and getting the edge +

Posted via the Android Central App

OldTrader

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I toyed with both of them some before making a decision. I didn't think I would use the S-Pen much, but thought it would be nice to have. The Edge+ was available in titanium which I liked, but I just wasn't able to warm up to the curved edges. I ended up going with the Note 5 in white and am very glad I did. I like using the S-Pen to hover over and delete emails and being able to write notes on the screen while locked is handy. No regrets here.

djroy03

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I think for me, I didn't see the features on the edge part of the screen that useful for me. It's more of a gimmick. Also, I was somewhat distracted by the glare on either side of the Edge screen. Ultimately, I just really love the look and the feel of the Note5. PS - The S-Pen isn't too bad, either!

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
For me it comes down to this; the added capabilities and usefulness of the S Pen (whether you use it all the time or rarely) having it allows you to do so much more. And most importantly, the curve is on the correct side ;)

vlfifthdawnlv

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I feel like the novelty of the edge screen will wear off in like 2 months or less but the functions of the note 5 would not. The edge design seems easier to drop and the curse seems like it makes the glass less structurally stable. Drops happens, its really hard to get by a year or 2 years on a phone without having dropped it a few times. Case are ugly and bulky, which means the easier it is to drop and easier it is to crack, the bigger of a case you need.

Not to mention, I need to have tempered glass on my phones and the tempered glass on a S6 edge+ looks really weird. Oddly, this was a big factor in why I chose the Note instead

Last edited:

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I purchased both but kept the Note 5 and gave the lady my edge+ (iPhone 6 convert). Only reason was the ergonomics. I use the spen but don't like the click to remove feature. The curved screen is the real deal but where I do a lot of one handed things the Note 5 was the better fit. I love everything about the s6+ and it really boils down to personal preference in the end. Can't go wrong with either.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the S6 Edge and it was honestly one of of the best devices (Design wise) that I ever owned. Really have to give kudos to Samsung for pushing the envelope with the curved screen game. Sadly the edge design, I just lost interest in and really wasn't using it as much as I would have liked. I wanted a bigger screen so when the N5 was announced, it was a no brainer 4 me. Plus the S-Pen, I have used that more in 2 weeks than I used the edge screen in 2 months.

floss776

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Had the edge plus for 2 weeks and now I'm using a note 5. The edge plus looks great, but the limited edge features will find you not even using the edge and the s pen is really awesome for the note 5(had a note 3 and4) and really helps me out for reminders with work, getting to pin the action memos to the home screen. Another reason I switched, I went to the store and held the note 5 in my hand and it felt so much better than the edge plus. With and without a case, the note 5 feels so much better. A problem with the edge plus I found myself doing, only sometimes, is my finger would be on the edge screen as I was browsing or whatever and hit something and I'd just be irritated. If i had to do it all over again, I'd go note 5 in a second. Maybe next year the edge will be much better with the functionality, but for right now it's not worth it (unless you just want a cool looking phone)

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
The number one reason to choose the note 5 over s6e plus is because people that steal phones would leave it alone and rather steal the s6e plus. It's more expensive and a much better looking phone than the note 5.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I had the S6 Edge and it was honestly one of of the best devices (Design wise) that I ever owned. Really have to give kudos to Samsung for pushing the envelope with the curved screen game. Sadly the edge design, I just lost interest in and really wasn't using it as much as I would have liked. I wanted a bigger screen so when the N5 was announced, it was a no brainer 4 me. Plus the S-Pen, I have used that more in 2 weeks than I used the edge screen in 2 months.

I too had the S6 edge and did want a larger version. The only edge app I liked was the quick contacts. The edge night clock would stop working during the night and my alarm would not go off in the morning. The novelty of the edge just wore off by the time the Note 5 and S6 edge + went on sale. I went to T-Mobile and used my Jump upgrade to get the Note 5. The S-pen is just more useful to me than the edge apps. No regrets with my choice.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I too had the S6 edge and did want a larger version. The only edge app I liked was the quick contacts. The edge night clock would stop working during the night and my alarm would not go off in the morning. The novelty of the edge just wore off by the time the Note 5 and S6 edge + went on sale. I went to T-Mobile and used my Jump upgrade to get the Note 5. The S-pen is just more useful to me than the edge apps. No regrets with my choice.

Did the note 5 costing less than the s6e plus influence your choice?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the S6 Edge for a shirt time, had the function worked without having to have lockscreen notifications for everything and without having to be upside down, it might have been worth it.

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I came from the S6 Edge.
The curve is a nice feature but seriously underutilized. For now.
Still, there were more than a few apps where the curve interfered with the usability of the app. This drove me back to a flatter screen.
Hence the Note 5.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Why? Because the wife took my Edge+ and gave me her 6 plus and apple watch. Seeing as I had those two to sell and fund my purchase, why not a nice gold International unlocked non carrier branded 64GB Note 5? The math says I win and come out on top selling the two apple devices before everyone else floods the market with i6 & 6Plus for there next hot apple crap.

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Why? Because the wife took my Edge+ and gave me her 6 plus and apple watch. Seeing as I had those two to sell and fund my purchase, why not a nice gold International unlocked non carrier branded 64GB Note 5? The math says I win and come out on top selling the two apple devices before everyone else floods the market with i6 & 6Plus for there next hot apple crap.

Are you sure the wife had given you the okay to sell the iPhone and Apple Watch? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21