Likely returning Note 5 Today

Ted Gartland

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
For the past week I've used the Note 5 (Verizon). It is a great phone in most ways. The reason for the return is that it isn't as easy to use as the Droid Turbo or the Moto X I had before it. Why? The Moto voice feature. I am so used to interacting with my phone with "OK Google Now" without even touching the phone. I thought S-voice would be a worthy adversary but it isn't even close. Am I missing something?

davem2421

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
have you gone into the Google app (blue icon with white g) go into Settings>Voice>"Ok Google" detection and enable "From any screen".

I use it all the time, however, the screen does need to be on that is the only caveat but it's really easy to hit the home button and say "Ok Google".

just a thought.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
For the past week I've used the Note 5 (Verizon). It is a great phone in most ways. The reason for the return is that it isn't as easy to use as the Droid Turbo or the Moto X I had before it. Why? The Moto voice feature. I am so used to interacting with my phone with "OK Google Now" without even touching the phone. I thought S-voice would be a worthy adversary but it isn't even close. Am I missing something?

Svoice is garbage. Ok Google works on Note 5. Not sure why you are not using it. Ok Google is not a Moto voice feature. It's a Google Android feature.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

I use my Note hands free to use Google now but there is one step you have to add!
You have to say " Hi Galaxy", when you hear the tone say "OK Google", you're in!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I use the Google voice engine as default in svoice TTS, and it works well, better than the Samsung voice engine TTS.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I cant say i blame you. I go back and forth between the droid phones and the notes. The Turbo is probably the best experience (for me) of pure android. I disable the verizon bloat i don't use. The Turbo is fast, long lasting and just plain cool as hell!

I am loving my note5, i pulled out my Turbo the other day and played with it. I still love it, and in my eyes those are the two best phones... again, for me.

I am worried that this years droid will not live up to the Turbo, but oh well, the note5 has me hooked.. for now lol

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Google now is such a massive improvement from just two years ago. I've mumbled stuff and thought no way it heard me and it's very accurate.

I kind just holding the home key is super easy. I had iPhone 6+ and this is world's better.

Although I wish you didn't have to say OK Google every time. Should be a way to just hold it down and then it comes up talk.

Posted via the Android Central App

tripjnj

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I've been going back and forth between S-Voice and Google Now. While I much prefer the Google Now voice (S-voice sounds very robotic), I like how I can tell S-Voice to read me unread messages. Is there a way to get Google Now to read text messages without installing another app, like Commandr?

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been going back and forth between S-Voice and Google Now. While I much prefer the Google Now voice (S-voice sounds very robotic), I like how I can tell S-Voice to read me unread messages. Is there a way to get Google Now to read text messages without installing another app, like Commandr?

I use S-Voice for texting and making voice calls because it defaults to speakerphone and it will do this when my phone is locked. I use Google Now for everything else. But lately I am finding S-Voice is activated without my exact command! It it did it in court last night!!

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I use S-Voice for texting and making voice calls because it defaults to speakerphone and it will do this when my phone is locked. I use Google Now for everything else. But lately I am finding S-Voice is activated without my exact command! It it did it in court last night!!

I was having that problem with my Note 4. All of a sudden it would just activate. It was very annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Actually you can use the voice controls without touching the phone even when the screen is black. You have to go into Google settings and control the features under Google now.

Quote The Note 4 Never More😤

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Did you still return the device, or?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually you can use the voice controls without touching the phone even when the screen is black. You have to go into Google settings and control the features under Google now.

Quote The Note 4 Never More😤

Not when it is secure locked. You can only do that with S-Voice from the secure locked phone.