I forgot the backup password on my Note 5, how can I reset it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AC Question

forgot backup password on note 5

This is a note 5 and I setup the thumbprint and it usually works, this time it didnot.I finally got into it but I did forget my backup password.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: forgot backup password on note 5

Older technology is invaluable here as an adjunct to the new....writing things down on a piece of paper.
Now that you have unlocked the phone, can you reset the password? If not, it may be possible via Android Device Manager.

Posted via the Android Central App

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Older technology is invaluable here as an adjunct to the new....writing things down on a piece of paper.
Now that you have unlocked the phone, can you reset the password? If not, it may be possible via Android Device Manager.

Posted via the Android Central App

what can be done if someone did not write down the password(for the phone, Gmail, Samsung acct) and none of the fingers are recognized?

can the phone be completely wiped and start again? (assuming he/she is the rightful legal owner of the Note 5)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

what can be done if someone did not write down the password(for the phone, Gmail, Samsung acct) and none of the fingers are recognized?

can the phone be completely wiped and start again? (assuming he/she is the rightful legal owner of the Note 5)

If you reset you will need to be able to log into the Google account used to set up the phone, when it is reset.

redhat1001

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If you reset you will need to be able to log into the Google account used to set up the phone, when it is reset.

What Kelly said...Yep, if you don't remove the Google account before a reset, you will be required to log into the Google account, even after a hard reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What Kelly said...Yep, if you don't remove the Google account before a reset, you will be required to log into the Google account, even after a hard reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I was just wondering about that issue when you resell a phone. So to stop it feom asking for that you remove the account before reset?

That isn't much of a safety feature. You can remove the Google account without needing a password or anything.

redhat1001

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You know, I was just wondering about that issue when you resell a phone. So to stop it feom asking for that you remove the account before reset?

That isn't much of a safety feature. You can remove the Google account without needing a password or anything.

That's how I understand the new 5.1 security policy works. I guess they are thinking your phone is locked when stolen, and someone does a hard reset to make it theirs. In the past, that's all you had to do and you had a new phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Hmm.. I think these kill switches are unnecessary when your can lock and wipe your device remotely.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Hmm.. I think these kill switches are unnecessary when your can lock and wipe your device remotely.

I actually like them. The person could be in a place where you can't connect to the phone or whichever.. Doesn't hurt to have this extra step. This way a thief can't steal and use the phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Maybe I'm just used to WMD. I can text my phone and lock or wipe it.

But if you don't have a signal on the phone (or they remove the SIM) then ADM or WMD can't reach it for commands... So this extra step makes sure if you wipe it.. You own the account on it before. Only makes sense.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

AMD and Find My Mobile can reach it without a SIM though. Not sure exactly what it is using to reach it. I can locate my Note 4 and ring it with ADM and Find My Mobile. I haven't tested it with WMD.

I had no idea how to keep it from asking for the original Gmail. That is something to look out for when people are buying used phones in person, reset and make sure that is cleared.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

AMD and Find My Mobile can reach it without a SIM though. Not sure exactly what it is using to reach it. I can locate my Note 4 and ring it with ADM and Find My Mobile. I haven't tested it with WMD.

I had no idea how to keep it from asking for the original Gmail. That is something to look out for when people are buying used phones in person, reset and make sure that is cleared.

Is it connected to wifi when you locate it? That would make sense. If the person has it though, no wifi, and takes the SIM out there is no way for it to contact it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22