02-25-2016 12:45 PM
30 12
tools
    This is a note 5 and I setup the thumbprint and it usually works, this time it didnot.I finally got into it but I did forget my backup password.
    09-09-2015 02:52 PM
    For anyone who lands here and needs help resetting their PW please see the post below.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...read-here.html

Thanks .
    Older technology is invaluable here as an adjunct to the new....writing things down on a piece of paper.
    Now that you have unlocked the phone, can you reset the password? If not, it may be possible via Android Device Manager.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-09-2015 04:51 PM
    Older technology is invaluable here as an adjunct to the new....writing things down on a piece of paper.
    Now that you have unlocked the phone, can you reset the password? If not, it may be possible via Android Device Manager.

Posted via the Android Central App
    what can be done if someone did not write down the password(for the phone, Gmail, Samsung acct) and none of the fingers are recognized?

can the phone be completely wiped and start again? (assuming he/she is the rightful legal owner of the Note 5)
    10-03-2015 10:51 AM
    what can be done if someone did not write down the password(for the phone, Gmail, Samsung acct) and none of the fingers are recognized?

can the phone be completely wiped and start again? (assuming he/she is the rightful legal owner of the Note 5)
    If you reset you will need to be able to log into the Google account used to set up the phone, when it is reset.
    belodion likes this.
    10-03-2015 10:56 AM
    If you reset you will need to be able to log into the Google account used to set up the phone, when it is reset.
    can't I do this by powering on the Note 5 while holding the power, home and vol(up) buttons to wipe the phone?
    10-03-2015 01:46 PM
    can't I do this by powering on the Note 5 while holding the power, home and vol(up) buttons to wipe the phone?
    You can reset there by scrolling through thr recovery menu. Factory reset is in that menu also.
    10-03-2015 01:57 PM
    What Kelly said...Yep, if you don't remove the Google account before a reset, you will be required to log into the Google account, even after a hard reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    belodion likes this.
    10-03-2015 02:35 PM
    What Kelly said...Yep, if you don't remove the Google account before a reset, you will be required to log into the Google account, even after a hard reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know, I was just wondering about that issue when you resell a phone. So to stop it feom asking for that you remove the account before reset?

That isn't much of a safety feature. You can remove the Google account without needing a password or anything.
    10-03-2015 02:43 PM
    You know, I was just wondering about that issue when you resell a phone. So to stop it feom asking for that you remove the account before reset?

That isn't much of a safety feature. You can remove the Google account without needing a password or anything.
    That's how I understand the new 5.1 security policy works. I guess they are thinking your phone is locked when stolen, and someone does a hard reset to make it theirs. In the past, that's all you had to do and you had a new phone.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    10-03-2015 02:47 PM
    That's how I understand the new 5.1 security policy works. I guess they are thinking your phone is locked when stolen, and someone does a hard reset to make it theirs. In the past, that's all you had to do and you had a new phone.
    A good explanation: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/07...urity-lockout/
    10-03-2015 02:48 PM
    Hmm.. I think these kill switches are unnecessary when your can lock and wipe your device remotely.
    10-03-2015 03:01 PM
    Hmm.. I think these kill switches are unnecessary when your can lock and wipe your device remotely.
    Correct, but remember there are sometimes the ADM will not work, https://support.google.com/accounts/.../6160500?hl=en
    10-03-2015 03:10 PM
    Oh I don't use that one, I use Wheres My Droid and Samsung's Find My Mobile.
    redhat1001 likes this.
    10-03-2015 03:10 PM
    I actually like them. The person could be in a place where you can't connect to the phone or whichever.. Doesn't hurt to have this extra step. This way a thief can't steal and use the phone.
    10-03-2015 03:58 PM
    Maybe I'm just used to WMD. I can text my phone and lock or wipe it.
    10-03-2015 04:02 PM
    Maybe I'm just used to WMD. I can text my phone and lock or wipe it.
    But if you don't have a signal on the phone (or they remove the SIM) then ADM or WMD can't reach it for commands... So this extra step makes sure if you wipe it.. You own the account on it before. Only makes sense.
    10-03-2015 04:26 PM
    AMD and Find My Mobile can reach it without a SIM though. Not sure exactly what it is using to reach it. I can locate my Note 4 and ring it with ADM and Find My Mobile. I haven't tested it with WMD.

I had no idea how to keep it from asking for the original Gmail. That is something to look out for when people are buying used phones in person, reset and make sure that is cleared.
    10-03-2015 04:39 PM
    AMD and Find My Mobile can reach it without a SIM though. Not sure exactly what it is using to reach it. I can locate my Note 4 and ring it with ADM and Find My Mobile. I haven't tested it with WMD.

I had no idea how to keep it from asking for the original Gmail. That is something to look out for when people are buying used phones in person, reset and make sure that is cleared.
    Is it connected to wifi when you locate it? That would make sense. If the person has it though, no wifi, and takes the SIM out there is no way for it to contact it.
    10-03-2015 04:46 PM
    Yeah it has been, haven't tried it yet without WiFi. Let me try that.
    10-03-2015 05:23 PM
    Yeah that is what it is, WiFi. Though when I turn WiFi on, it will immediately lock it.
    10-03-2015 05:32 PM
    I actually like them. The person could be in a place where you can't connect to the phone or whichever.. Doesn't hurt to have this extra step. This way a thief can't steal and use the phone.
    Ok, so let me make sure I understand this correctly.

If I lose my Note 5's password and my Gmail passoword, my phone will become a permanent paperweight or coaster?

Guess I better go write down those passwords and keep them in a couple of secured locations.
    10-03-2015 07:04 PM
    Ok, so let me make sure I understand this correctly.

If I lose my Note 5's password and my Gmail passoword, my phone will become a permanent paperweight or coaster?

Guess I better go write down those passwords and keep them in a couple of secured locations.
    Until you get the password for your Google account yes -- You would have to contact Google and work it. IMO I would rather have security. If you're forgetting your own passwords that is another personal issue you will have to deal with. .
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-03-2015 07:51 PM
    Until you get the password for your Google account yes -- You would have to contact Google and work it. IMO I would rather have security. If you're forgetting your own passwords that is another personal issue you will have to deal with. .
    guess I need to find a more creative password... I now use the 1027th word(spelled in reverse) in the 2004 edition of Webster dictionary as my password. (1027 because 10-27 in my birthday)
    10-03-2015 08:48 PM
    Oh I don't get that creative with my phone password lol. I do something I can easily remember but no one would guess.
    10-03-2015 08:51 PM
    Where are we on this, did we reset or just buy a new phone?
    10-03-2015 10:22 PM
30 12