You came from the iPhone 6+, got the Note 5 and did all the tricks

Mcislak

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
this is my second attempt at making the switch from the 6 plus to the note 5. i just can't do it. battery life is horrendous. brought both phones with me all day and did the same things all day. iPhone ended work at 97 and note 5 ended at 52. very disappointing. that and the combination of losing iMessage and the continuity features i just don't think i can leave apple

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I didn't come from the 6+ but I do have a iPhone 6, (work phone) and yes in standby the battery is bleeding on the Note 5 vs. hardly nothing on the iPhone 6. But I really don't mind, using my Note 5 as I would any other I get over 16hrs of battery life. This is a great phone. As per your suggestion, I looked at the Doze app but I don't like the idea of allowing a third party app rights to create a VPN with my phone for the "purpose of monitoring network traffic". So at least for me this app is a no go! But thanks for the suggestion.

It's not a true VPN, it just restricts data usage, but yeh it's your call.

Another thing that you can do to increase standby time is in WiFi settings under 'keep WiFi on during sleep' turn it to 'only when plugged in'.

dreaming of electric sheep

Carl Bloom

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I love my new note but it's not in the same league as the 6+ in battery life. My note after one day of use is usually lower than my 6+ was after 2 days of use. I've made it through every day without having to charge it though, except the first day when I couldn't leave it alone much. Buuuut...the note 5 is awesome and I have zero regrets switching from the iPhone. And it can be topped off quick. So that's nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chan_xo

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
this is my second attempt at making the switch from the 6 plus to the note 5. i just can't do it. battery life is horrendous. brought both phones with me all day and did the same things all day. iPhone ended work at 97 and note 5 ended at 52. very disappointing. that and the combination of losing iMessage and the continuity features i just don't think i can leave apple

what did u do on your phone to lose just three percent ALL DAY on your iPhone!??! that just doesn't even seem right. i open up my iPhone and even just to go into settings and look through there it drops one percent.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
So for me it's almost the same between the two for battery. Iphone 6+ was great in standby so when I wasn't using it NOTHING drained from the battery.

With this phone there's a lot background apps that run even with screen off so it doesn't seem to be better in that respect.

However when I did have SOT for iPhone seemed to drain faster when I did actually use it vs the Note 5.

One difference for me is cell reception. I don't get great reception at my home so I need WiFi on. For some reason with WiFi and cell on in my home I get more drain on the Note.

For iPhone I believe their radios in the device are better and stronger so I never had an issue.

I'm averagong between 10-12 hours with moderate to heavy use on my Note 5. On the iphone it was 12-14 hours.

I also liked the fact that on the 6+ I could tell specific apps if I wanted GPS or not vs Note 5 which is set to use it in different power modes. However the iPhone GPS drained battery MUCH faster when in use. Location on iPhone hurts battery in a big way when using it.

For me I just prefer Android and the camera on this is much better that my iPhone but then again I'm not a pro photographer and thought photos on the 6+ were good.

I just wish I didn't have to change so many things to get battery optimal for heavy use. I use it for work not play and therefore need good battery. It's OK. Not great. But OK.

I've looked at all the long battery life from others and fidn myself laughing out loud because I use my phone constantly and down get that. My SOT is about 4.5-5.5 hours and I'm getting 10-12 hours. I weekends it's more like 15-18 or more but I'm not reaching for it as much.

Posted via the Android Central App

3 of the biggest savers for me have been to turn off locations when I don't need to have it on. Turn on the battery saver setting when I am not playing any games and to buy package disabler and loose a lot of bloat sucking the life out of the battery without gutting the phone.

You have to experiment with it and see what helps and what doesn't but locking up the frivolous AT&T crap along with the Ant stuff has done more than anything else I found in it.

I don't involve myself with the really big battery leaches which is Facebook Twitter and Instagram... so if you are a social media hound it won't be as good as if you aren't . Also I have my brightness set under 45% and only turn it up to torch mode in direct sunlight. As bright as this screen is having it off auto and set this way certainly helps.

Everybody on a Android phone has to tweak them to their usage. Using it as it comes from the box and wondering why you aren't getting great battery life and higher sot is a waste of time and resources. Android phones, especially Samsung's phones have to be tweaked or they can be.... Well they can be dogs. What makes this worse is how each carrier tweaks them differently to begin with.

Quite a few people think by shutting down different apps or services that this is taking away from the enjoyment or usability of the phone and it's not in the least doing this and truth be told is just wasting your battery life. Who leaves everything running in the house when you aren't there.. same holds true for your phone... why have everything running when you don't need it to be..

Androids have so much going on all the time they can get out of hand so you might as well tame this beast and train it to do what you want it to do.

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig black Galaxy Note 5

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
This. Iphones are great with standby because there is less going on in the background. If you want to disable all of the cool things an android phone can do in the background, there are apps for that. The 6 plus is amazing with standby battery, but if you actually use the phone with the screen brightness above 50%, it starts to drain pretty quickly.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

This is in part due to calibration. The iPhone stays at 100% forever, but then drains a little faster. So you may look at your iPhone and see 100, but the battery is actually at 95 or so. Android seems to drain at a more steady rate.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I used the Note 5 for 4 days and maybe that wasn't enough time for me to test it out. But I had to return it and get a 6 plus. I'm a heavy user and hate being tied to a charger and worrying about battery life. My 6 plus will last all day using it heavily. My biggest battery drainers are games and YouTube. But that's true for any smartphone. Also, I'm a social media junky and, well, that will drain the battery quicker. Hated the standby time on the Note. I'm not trying to bash on the Note. It just wasn't for me. Battery life was just one factor. I do miss the camera, screen and design of the Note 5. The footprint is also smaller than the 6 plus.

This is my current status on my battery today.
2d3a6ac3affb6d8533731c449573bfc7.jpg

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
So in summary, "My iPhone had way better battery life because I left it sitting unused all day!"
I've had the iPhone 6+ longer than my Note 5. Performing my daily tasks on my Note 5 as I did on my iPhone 6+, not even close. Even on standby time, my iPhone 6+ destroys my Note 5.

SCD23x

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Had the 6+ for ~10 months. Bought the Note 5 on launch day. To me, the biggest trade-offs can be stated in the simplest of terms: iOS works. It just works- it's dependable and does what you need it to when you need it to. The corollary to this is that it's boring (to me, anyways). Android has it's flaws, but it's far more capable.

For me, the battery life is less of an issue. I've always charged my phone half-way through the day anyways. I would say, through experience, that the Note 5 has a slightly worse battery life than the 6+.

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
My new note 5 seems to get about 50% of the battery life my iPhone 6 plus got. I could easily go 2 days with the 6+, can get a day out of the note 5 but it's very close. I just make it. But I expected that, with a QHD display and more powerful hardware. I'm ok with it. I love my new note.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I totally agreed. I am experiencing the same with both phones you described.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Had the 6+ for ~10 months. Bought the Note 5 on launch day. To me, the biggest trade-offs can be stated in the simplest of terms: iOS works. It just works- it's dependable and does what you need it to when you need it to. The corollary to this is that it's boring (to me, anyways). Android has it's flaws, but it's far more capable.

For me, the battery life is less of an issue. I've always charged my phone half-way through the day anyways. I would say, through experience, that the Note 5 has a slightly worse battery life than the 6+.
I also agreed here. IOS and its ecosystem just works. All Apple devices work well together. The hand-off is great. You don't really appreciated it if you only own iphone. I like IOS and I like Note 5. I like the SPen. That is pretty much the reason I have both. If there was iPNote 7 or something, that will be perfect.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae