02-23-2016 12:24 AM
32 12
tools
    With today's new updates for latest Samsung Galaxy flagships lineup, T-mobile has taken another huge step in separate themselves from the rest of the so called large carriers, the same that month by month just add more and more bloatware with a real benefit for the customers. T-mobile has begun to update their latest flagships to be able to use the latest in technology and after proven the Video calling I can honestly say that it's GREAT.

In order to use the Video calling you'll need to have VoLTE on, and I'm glad to report that finally they activated that for my area recently because now I just turned it back on after turning it off to prevent Cell Standby drain, and it's working as expected, great LTE speeds while in a phone call, and the Video call went through without a hiccup.

Now, the new killer feature, the RCS, by nature is a great addition, I just checked at the new settings on the default messaging app (sorry to not being able to use Textra now) and now I see a setting under Chat settings that ask you for the multimedia limit, by default is 9765 MB and you can change it to No Limits.

IMHO, this 2 new features from T-Mobile are killer features and possible Game changers in the Industry, what do you think?
    09-10-2015 09:58 AM
    What game are they changing? Verizon has had video calling and VOLTE for a long time now. It's not killing anything else. For me it works like Skype and Hangouts. Basically, meh.. I don't know what RCS is, but why would I want to send large files by text anyway? I don't see any of this as anything more than catching up ...
    jimd1050 and Geezer Squid like this.
    09-10-2015 10:04 AM
    Not sure I would say game changer as Verizon has been doing it for some time now(I could do it on my note 4 now my s6 edge+). It's convenient if both people are on the same network with volte capable phones. Won't be a killer feature though until you can use these features with people on different carriers. That's what I'm waiting on to truly rival apples facetime.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    09-10-2015 10:06 AM
    What is RCS???

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-10-2015 10:11 AM
    What game are they changing? Verizon has had video calling and VOLTE for a long time now. It's not killing anything else. For me it works like Skype and Hangouts. Basically, meh.. I don't know what RCS is, but why would I want to send large files by text anyway? I don't see any of this as anything more than catching up ...
    You may not know what RCS is and may not want to send large files but MOST people with iOS love so much iMessage that it's practically the same, so having it finally on Android on one of the OEMs Default message app is a huge step, this will undeniably move the other large carriers to do the same eventually, isn't that a game changer?

Not sure I would say game changer as Verizon has been doing it for some time now(I could do it on my note 4 now my s6 edge+). It's convenient if both people are on the same network with volte capable phones. Won't be a killer feature though until you can use these features with people on different carriers. That's what I'm waiting on to truly rival apples facetime.
    Yes, I know Verizon had that before but now with another carrier will also force others to follow the leaders and who knows maybe something may happen between all of them.
    09-10-2015 10:21 AM
    What is RCS???

Check this.

Announcing Advanced Messaging. Only at T-Mobile | T-Mobile Newsroom
    debdroid1a and geekaren like this.
    09-10-2015 10:22 AM
    Sprint has this also called advanced messaging

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-10-2015 10:26 AM
    What is RCS???

T-Mobile's RCS-based Advanced Messaging service will support a number of new services, including group messaging, message delivery and read-mail notices, and the ability to send high-resolution photos and videos up to 10 MB. (source)
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    09-10-2015 11:02 AM
    Sprint has this also called advanced messaging

Posted via the Android Central App
    Here are some important points on the article linked above:

- I’m excited to announce T-Mobile is now the first and only wireless provider in the nation to offer messaging built on a standard called Rich Communications Services (RCS). We call it T-Mobile Advanced Messaging and it takes text messaging into the mobile internet age.

- Advanced Messaging comes with a range of new messaging enhancements …
    Rich 1 on 1 and group messaging, including near real-time chat
    See when others are typing, when your message is delivered and even read
    Share high-res photos and videos up to 10 MB just as you would a regular text message
    And T-Mobile Advanced Messaging is built to work across all devices, makers and operating systems—and wireless operators.

- For now, this is something you can only get at T-Mobile— though I expect our announcement will be a wake-up call for the old carriers to get moving with RCS, so customers can enjoy these next-gen services working across wireless providers.

That last paragraph is exactly what I meant by Game changer, we can just hope other carriers hear the wake-up call.
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    09-10-2015 11:50 AM
    Just to add something that I forgot in the OP. You don't need the Wifi calling on, just VoLTE. Also, I just tested and VoLTE needs to active in just the device that originates the call, the recipient may have it turned off and it still works.
    09-10-2015 11:55 AM
    Just to add something that I forgot in the OP. You don't need the Wifi calling on, just VoLTE. Also, I just tested and VoLTE needs to active in just the device that originates the call, the recipient may have it turned off and it still works.
    Did you know that it also functions like Imessage and hangouts(where it shows you if the other person has read the message and if they are typing)? It's only for T-mobile customers but I personally don't like that feature. I like my privacy lol...
    09-10-2015 01:24 PM
    Did you know that it also functions like Imessage and hangouts(where it shows you if the other person has read the message and if they are typing)? It's only for T-mobile customers but I personally don't like that feature. I like my privacy lol...
    You can turn both of those things off if you don't like them.
    09-10-2015 01:55 PM
    Where do you go in settings to view if VoLTE is enabled or not (I looked for it but couldn't find it)?
    09-10-2015 01:57 PM
    Where do you go in settings to view if VoLTE is enabled or not (I looked for it but couldn't find it)?
    Open the phone app, and you will see it on it's settings.
    wookiee2cu likes this.
    09-10-2015 02:26 PM
    Thanks, found it.
    09-10-2015 02:50 PM
    The video calling -- yes T-Mobile is catching up on that. T-Mobile had VoLTE up and running before Verizon did though. In all honesty it doesn't matter that much but just wanted to let you know how it rolled out .
    09-10-2015 02:54 PM
    The video calling -- yes T-Mobile is catching up on that. T-Mobile had VoLTE up and running before Verizon did though. In all honesty it doesn't matter that much but just wanted to let you know how it rolled out .

Thanks. It is great to have these things for sure. Sometimes the hyperbole is a bit much is all. VOLTE, HD calling, Video carrier calling and RCS are all good things. just maybe not "game changing" is all.
    Almeuit likes this.
    09-11-2015 10:47 AM
    I'm not seeing the features of the RCS other than the larger file size allowance. I don't see the real-time (chat) feature that shows when a person is writing back and has read my messages. Can anyone provide with help on how to activate that?
    09-11-2015 12:19 PM
    So its pretty much like iMessage for iPhone?
    09-11-2015 12:33 PM
    I'm not seeing the features of the RCS other than the larger file size allowance. I don't see the real-time (chat) feature that shows when a person is writing back and has read my messages. Can anyone provide with help on how to activate that?
    I was looking at different messaging apps a couple of weeks ago and checked every setting on every messaging app I had and I did notice that there was a no limit size back then. I don't think that's new.

09-11-2015 12:49 PM
    Thanks. It is great to have these things for sure. Sometimes the hyperbole is a bit much is all. VOLTE, HD calling, Video carrier calling and RCS are all good things. just maybe not "game changing" is all.
    What I meant was that it may be a game changer if the others carriers begin to feel the pressure T-mobile is clearly putting them by being the first one with the Device launches, Updates, new great features on the phones, keep having Unlock bootloaders, being the first saying yes to OEM requests (like Samsung pay, while Verizon is still deciding if they will allow it or not), adding the GREAT Advance Messaging using latest RCS protocol while the others still use the same antique SMS and MMS services. That talking just about phone features, if we begin to talk about Account services then we have another story with their Uncarrier new features and moves.
    09-11-2015 01:25 PM
    I was looking at different messaging apps a couple of weeks ago and checked every setting on every messaging app I had and I did notice that there was a no limit size back then. I don't think that's new.

You can have a No limit size on the apps if available but that message will need to go through the carrier's network, and once there it will be rejected or in best case scenario downscale or compress to meet their requirements. Actually, the carrier will allow an MMS with a size larger that what they allow. iMessage can do that because they don't use the carrier to send the message if it's between iOS users, that message goes through their server instead, but if one of them is not an iOS user it will go through the carrier network with the same maximum size limit than all Android users have.

If I'm right the maximum size limit on the 3 major US carriers are the following:

1-) Verizon - 1.2 MB
    2-) AT&T - 600 KB
    3-) T-Mobile - 1 MB
    09-11-2015 01:32 PM
    So its pretty much like iMessage for iPhone?
    Yes, pretty similar, but cross-devices once they release the firmware to other non-Samsung devices, iMessage as you know is just between iOS users.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    09-11-2015 01:33 PM
    While testing this yesterday I can tell you that you need to have VoLTE on in the Phone App settings and in order to see when a person is Writing and if they read your message you need to be in Chat mode, I mean that both must have a compatible device (so far just S6, S6 edge, Note 5 and S6 edge+) and they must be in the conversation at the same time, if one of them is not in the conversation screen it doesn't show anything.
    09-11-2015 01:39 PM
    T-mobile has taken another huge step in separate themselves from the rest of the so called large carriers, the same that month by month just add more and more bloatware with a real benefit for the customers. T-mobile has begun to update their latest flagships to be able to use the latest in technology and after proven the Video calling I can honestly say that it's GREAT.
    You sound like an infomercial. I'm paying less on AT&T than I would on T-Mobile and their high voice frequencies make connections and call quality atrocious indoors and in dense urban areas. The magnifiicance you describe only works if you're calling another T-Mobile subscriber with one of four of Samsung's latest phones. I don't even know anyone on T-Mobile; my circle is either AT&T or VZW. All the wireless carriers have strengths and weaknesses; T-Mobile just happens to have a better bubble machine.
    09-11-2015 01:57 PM
32 12