AT&T vs. International Note 5 Information

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I have both the AT&T (N920A) and International version (N920I) of the Note 5.

Here's what I have found thus far:

1) The symbol for 4G-LTE shows only "4G" on the N920I while the N920A shows "4G LTE" , but they are both on the LTE network that's a good thing.

2) I get 2 signal bars on the N920I, while I get 3 signal bars on the N920A. There must have been some tweaking from AT&T obviously. The only time I've seen equal bars between AT&T and an International brand was from the HTC M7 - M9. The HTC were US unlocked and unbranded.

The N920I on Left and N920A on right. Obviously by logos.

IMG_20150910_124327.jpg

Next you can see that's there is an update for the N920I, but not for the N920A.

IMG_20150910_122256.jpg

Also S-voice is not correctly installed and cannot install on the AT&T version, while the International version have the correct high quality Samsung Voice TTS Engine. If you notice, they both have the same Samsung Voice Engine version.

IMG_20150910_141546.jpg

The notifications are setup different, I like the N920I better, It's quicker to get to list of features. The N920I scrolls up and down, while the N920A scroll left to right.

IMG_20150910_124220.jpg

IMG_20150910_124159.jpg

Not sure if you can see it, but the N920A on the right has a slight yellow tint, while the N920I is more white. Just a little!

IMG_20150910_142028.jpg

***IMPORTANT NOTE: N920I International does NOT come with Samsung Pay installed, I tried to look for it and install it, but it's no where to be found. I thought it would be already installed like the N920A, but it isn't. So, if Samsung Pay is important to you, then the N920I is not for you.

Other things I noticed:

1) The N920I definitely runs just a little more fluid and faster without lag than the N920A. The N920A has just a little lag at times. I believe it's due to the AT&T bloatware.

2) N920I unlocks faster than N920A in fingerprint mode. And time settings to lock the device are different. N920A doesn't have 5sec, but has 1hr. It's vise-versa for N920I

3) the N920I cost $719.99 and the N920A cost $739.99 (w/o tax).

So, that's what I have discovered so far. I hope this helps some of you trying to decide on which N5 to get. Hopefully, I can answer your questions before I get rid of one of them soon.

dudeman702

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: AT&T vs. International Note 5 Information

Thank you for posting this. Interesting that SP isn't supported on the international variant.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked the actual signal readings to see if there's a true difference in signal reception? AT&T may have tweaked the software to be a little "optimistic" in how it's displayed. Would have liked to get the international version myself but went the easy route with a carrier version.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Good point. You can check signal strength and snr using the signal check app

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
This is a prime example of why Samsung needs to start selling direct and offering ways to get customers set up with trade in options. You want customer loyalty sell them the phones they want without the bloat they don't want with software updates that the carrier dosn't mess up.

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked the actual signal readings to see if there's a true difference in signal reception? AT&T may have tweaked the software to be a little "optimistic" in how it's displayed. Would have liked to get the international version myself but went the easy route with a carrier version.

Ok, I'm not a super tech tester, but I used an app to test signal strength and they were both the same in strength and both calls were clear. However, while I made a few phone calls, the N920A signal stayed on LTE, while the N920I switched to HSPA+ on all calls. So, I think that some extra tweaking was done from AT&T. Also, my HTC unlocked M8 stayed on the LTE network during calls. As you know the HTC made U.S. unlocked versions specifically, whereas Samsung has not.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
What capacity were the two phones and how much space was available before you installed apps? Just curious about how much space the att bloatware actually takes up. Thnx.

Posted via the Android Central App

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
What capacity were the two phones and how much space was available before you installed apps? Just curious about how much space the att bloatware actually takes up. Thnx.

Posted via the Android Central App

Storage available straight out the box for N920I is 24.80GB. For N920A it's 23.80GB.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the international version in Dallas and my signal stays at 4 bars never go on two could be the area I will post some of my screen shots as the phone stays on LTE

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Diraan

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm actually about to get my N920i tomorrow morning - at least that's what the tracking says.

Interesting that it does not have Samsung Pay on it. Is there a way to sideload it? The MST hardware should be inside, so I don't believe there is any reason why it would not work assuming that there are not any regional restrictions built into the hardware.

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually about to get my N920i tomorrow morning - at least that's what the tracking says.

Interesting that it does not have Samsung Pay on it. Is there a way to sideload it? The MST hardware should be inside, so I don't believe there is any reason why it would not work assuming that there are not any regional restrictions built into the hardware.

Based on the information (IMO) I believe the carrier and security firm will to work together with Samsung Pay on the specific model N920A. As a result, the N920I may not have the support, so it may not work, unless some rooting is done which opens security risks. If sideloaded, it still may not work due to carrier and security configurations specifically for N920A. Here is a link from PC Advisor:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-prod...ate-features-august-unpacked-gemalto-3600790/

I'm am truly disappointed.:-\

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the international version in Dallas and my signal stays at 4 bars never go on two could be the area I will post some of my screen shots as the phone stays on LTE

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Yeah it definitely, depends on location to stronger signal. I'm on the Mountains. Try making a phone call to the N920I, answer by speak in order to watch the 4G change to H+. Please let me know what happens, I've already done it a few times and I get the same results. Thanks.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'm not a super tech tester, but I used an app to test signal strength and they were both the same in strength and both calls were clear. However, while I made a few phone calls, the N920A signal stayed on LTE, while the N920I switched to HSPA+ on all calls. So, I think that some extra tweaking was done from AT&T. Also, my HTC unlocked M8 stayed on the LTE network during calls. As you know the HTC made U.S. unlocked versions specifically, whereas Samsung has not.

On the LTE while in a call is simply because most of the carrier's phones has the VoLTE or HD enhanced or whatever they call it that does just that, the International version doesn't have that specific software to be able to do it.

About the Samsung Pay, yes, that was my main concern and the reason I bought the T-mobile branded instead of an Unlocked this time, remember that for now, Samsung Pay is just available for Korea and in US in a couple of weeks, so right now unless you have a US or Korea version you won't have Samsung pay. I do think that once the rest of the world catch up with Samsung Pay then all phones will get the firmware update to add it.

Last edited:

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
On the LTE while in a call is simply because most of the carrier's phone has the VoLTE or HD enhanced or whatever they call it that does just that, the International version doesn't have that specific software to be able to do just that.

About the Samsung Pay, yes, that was my main concern and the reason I bought the T-mobile branded instead of an Unlocked this time, remember that for now, Samsung Pay is just available for Korea and in a couple of weeks then US, so right now unless you have a US or Korea version you won't have Samsung pay. I do think that once the rest of the world catch up with Samsung Pay then all phones will get the firmware update to add it.

Simply well said and agreed!

Impact2oo

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
One of the main reasons I purchased the Note 5 was for Samsung Pay. But as others stated the N920i doesn't have it. Samsung pay isn't coming out globally until Q2 2016. That just stinks.

I originally had the N920A and thought I can do without the bloatware and ourchased the 64gb N920i. To be honest there's really no speed difference. One the N920A you can disable all the bloatware and the fingerprint scanner is just as fast. I'm planning on going back to N920A so I can use the featurer for US like samsung pay.

stu5797

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
You guys have me pumped to get the SM-N920I to use on At&t!!!
Can someone please point me where to buy this phone at the best price. I am in the USA.
Thanks you!

Scottacus

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that overview. The differences between the two screens are probably normal production variation vs a real difference between the 920I vs 920A versions.

The software differences are pretty interesting. On top of what's shown here, there are a number of features that aren't available on the 920A version, such as a scheduled daily reboot, Samsung Backup Service, and a number of other features primarily accessed through the settings app. The AT&T version does have a Visual Voicemail app that is not in the 920I, and it's better than the ugly AT&T visual voicemail app on the Play Store.

The signal bars difference is 100% for show - the actual reception is the same, AT&T just has their phones show more bars to give the appearance of a stronger network. Most US carriers do this actually. However, AT&T is just starting to add LTE Band 29 and 30 support in congested markets, and this will actually give the AT&T version an advantage when it comes to data speeds. VoLTE isn't ready for prime time yet, but it is good to know that the 920A version is capable of it.

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Xavier_NYC

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Have you noticed a difference in battery life? I'd assume since the N920i doesn't have any added carrier stuff and runs smoother it would have better battery life and SOT as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance