At&t Note 5 Reception issues

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I bought my N5 on release day from corporate store and all was well for about the first week. After about a week I started dropping a lot of calls. So I went by a Corp. store and they reset the radios and asked me to see if that helps. I gave it a few days and unfortunately things did not improve. So I called the tech assist line and they "re-provisioned" my sim card and said if this doesn't help to stop by a store and get a new sim card. Well, as I expected the "re-provision" did not resolve the issue. So I stopped by the store again and had them replace the Sim card. At that time I was reminded of the outage we had here in the midwest earlier that day. I explained how this problem has been going on for a while and after looking at the notes on my account and replaced the card. When I left he asked me to give it a few days to make sure their network problems have been resolved.
So last night after a day of multiple dropped calls and no data errors I went back in the store and they said they couldn't help me and that I would have to call a 1-800 number since it was outside of the 14 day return period. As you could imagine I was infuriated with the unwillingness to help. I asked the manager if she was in my shoes how would she feel if this solution was given to her. Finally at this point she started to show that she cared about my problem. I also commented on how my problem was conveniently pushed out of the in-store exchange period. So they called tech support and helped me escalate the issue. So now I am waiting 5 business days for their engineers to determine where the problem is.
I've factory reset the phone to be sure it wasn't a software bug, but at this point I don't know what to do.
So, I've checked the forums here and have yet to find anyone else complaining of reception issues. I have 3 other lines that have had no problems, and I use my phone for work so it isn't a particular area.
Anyone else?

mj0528

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought my N5 on release day from corporate store and all was well for about the first week. After about a week I started dropping a lot of calls. So I went by a Corp. store and they reset the radios and asked me to see if that helps. I gave it a few days and unfortunately things did not improve. So I called the tech assist line and they "re-provisioned" my sim card and said if this doesn't help to stop by a store and get a new sim card. Well, as I expected the "re-provision" did not resolve the issue. So I stopped by the store again and had them replace the Sim card. At that time I was reminded of the outage we had here in the midwest earlier that day. I explained how this problem has been going on for a while and after looking at the notes on my account and replaced the card. When I left he asked me to give it a few days to make sure their network problems have been resolved.
So last night after a day of multiple dropped calls and no data errors I went back in the store and they said they couldn't help me and that I would have to call a 1-800 number since it was outside of the 14 day return period. As you could imagine I was infuriated with the unwillingness to help. I asked the manager if she was in my shoes how would she feel if this solution was given to her. Finally at this point she started to show that she cared about my problem. I also commented on how my problem was conveniently pushed out of the in-store exchange period. So they called tech support and helped me escalate the issue. So now I am waiting 5 business days for their engineers to determine where the problem is.
I
I've factory reset the phone to be sure it wasn't a software bug, but at this point I don't know what to do.
QSo, I've checked the forums here and have yet to find anyone else complaining of reception issues. I have 3 other lines that have had nou problems, and I use my phone for work so it isn't a particular area.
Anyone else?

Posted via the Android Central App

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
So, I've checked the forums here and have yet to find anyone else complaining of reception issues. I have 3 other lines that have had no problems, and I use my phone for work so it isn't a particular area.
Anyone else?

On the store experience, you can't exchange in store once you are outside of the 14 day return period. So all she did was do what you could have done yourself. Call tech support. They will issue you a new device after they have trouble **** your problem.

You can try to factory reset and see if that helps. ATT will have you do that anyway. My N5 had been fine reception wise so you may just have a defective device.

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
On the store experience, you can't exchange in store once you are outside of the 14 day return period. So all she did was do what you could have done yourself. Call tech support. They will issue you a new device after they have trouble **** your problem.

You can try to factory reset and see if that helps. ATT will have you do that anyway. My N5 had been fine reception wise so you may just have a defective device.

I feel like they are trained to push the issue beyond the 14 days. I'm sure the issue will be resolved. It's just a constant annoyance due to the malfunctioning equipment I'm left to deal with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Funny I've had mine going on 20 days now. Mine was fine for about a week but here recently I've been missing calls. I've sat mine near my wife's iPhone and she would have 3 bars and my Note 5 none.

I'm curious to see what they do for you, I've considered going to a Corp store but I doubt I'd get any help.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I figured I'd have to follow their procedures for a warranty claim. So I was able to keep my aggravation to a minimum throughout this process. I was assured by the Corporate store on multiple occasions that because I bought it from them I had no reason to worry, the phone would be exchanged. I guess it's on me for assuming they meant in store. I even asked the first time I went in if the 14 days played into the exchange and I was told no.
Anyways, sorry for the rant. I figured if anyone could sympathize it would be my fellow AC forum members.
I'll be sure to update as the process continues.

mashussein

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I figured I'd have to follow their procedures for a warranty claim. So I was able to keep my aggravation to a minimum throughout this process. I was assured by the Corporate store on multiple occasions that because I bought it from them I had no reason to worry, the phone would be exchanged. I guess it's on me for assuming they meant in store. I even asked the first time I went in if the 14 days played into the exchange and I was told no.
Anyways, sorry for the rant. I figured if anyone could sympathize it would be my fellow AC forum members.
I'll be sure to update as the process continues.

I have the same issue. I haven't gone through the motions yet, but in the NJ NY area was terrible. In FL Melbourne area my wife's iphone6 had 3 bars and minebwas nobsignal and when I had a signal, there was no data connection....I believe there is an issue for sure with either the hardware or the software. From following this chain, seems that we might have gotten a defective hardware!!

Protostar56383

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello! I created an AC account just to reply to your post when I was scrolling through my news stand this morning. You are definitely not the only one with dropped calls and reception issues on the newer samsung devices with the AT&T network. I actually work in the android tech support department there and I've dealt with multiple users with the same issue. Sounds like we've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already with your device and even created a case for it, but I didn't read anywhere in your post if we had you disable the Enhanced 4G LTE services in your settings. AT&T is starting to roll out HD Voice in a lot of markets and a lot of people are having problems with it. It's essentially voice over LTE. I would try turning this setting off, I've had it resolve a lot of call quality issues. The setting is under your mobile networks setting right where you turn off your mobile data. Hope this helps!

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear your having trouble with the note 5. I will have to see how your experience turns out before I get my AT&T note 5.

By the way, does it matter if you're in doors or out?

Posted on my Amazing Note 4!

Last edited:

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised a corporate store fed you that line of bull with your new phone.

Find the nearest AT&T warranty store and drop by there. They are the ones folks on AT&T really need to go to when they are having issues, not the regular stores. Corporate store or not.

I have been with AT&T for quite a few years and it still amazes me what some of these stores pull.

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig black Galaxy Note 5

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised a corporate store fed you that line of bull with your new phone.

Find the nearest AT&T warranty store and drop by there. They are the ones folks on AT&T really need to go to when they are having issues, not the regular stores. Corporate store or not.

I have been with AT&T for quite a few years and it still amazes me what some of these stores pull.

What makes a store a warranty store? I've been a customer for 10 years and never heard of this. I've always been told corporate stores are the ones that can make things happen.

In regards to location, it doesn't matter inside or out. For work I am all over the place so I'm not stuck in a dead spot or anything like that.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
What makes a store a warranty store? I've been a customer for 10 years and never heard of this. I've always been told corporate stores are the ones that can make things happen.

In regards to location, it doesn't matter inside or out. For work I am all over the place so I'm not stuck in a dead spot or anything like that.

AT&T has warranty stores. These are specifically for getting repair work done on your phone. Here in St. Louis we have 2 of them.

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have run into a few connection issues with my Note 5 (AT&T 64GB Black). With the help of tech support at my local store we figured out it was the HD Voice. The tech guy said he has seen this and not just on Samsung. :eek:

Settings > Mobile Networks > Mobile Data > Enhanced 4G LTE services > uncheck.

Even though the service is available in my area, with this set to off all of my connection issues disappeared.
Note: I never had missed calls - just dropped and data on call issues.

Best of luck with your Note.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've only had the phone for a couple of days, but I'very noticed the 4G signal seems to be weak and my mom called me 4 times yesterday and my phone never rang. I haven't had problems with phone calls before or after. I'm concerned about my phone because it suffers from a hot battery when charging, the battery drains when I'm not using it (although with help from the forums, this issue has improved), missed calls, and the weak 4G.

Scottacus

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Haven't had reception issues with my Note 5, but I did exchange my device due to a defective screen. Was after the 14-day return period so did an online chat to talk to tech support. Walked through the issue, they quickly agreed to do an exchange and had the replacement device delivered 5 days later. Actually a very easy process. Online chat was much more convenient than past phone conversations with AT&T.

Don't go to a Device Support Center - they won't have any Note 5 devices in stock yet and will just end up ordering one for delivery to your home anyway.

Technically AT&T will tell you they are sending a refurb device for warranty work, but the Note 5 is so new that you will almost certainly get a brand new unit.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
This is why I always tell people: if your phone isn't PERFECT for for the entire 14 day return period. Return it!

AT&T never wants to exchange a phone, and will try to do whatever it takes to get you past 14 days.
I have had people show up at Apple with a 3 days old iPhone that's isn't working right and AT&T had SENT them to apple, when they KNOW the phone is THIER responsibility for the first 14 days.

AT&T tells them, that's an Apple issue, take it to apple. and i send them right back out the door to AT&T to tell them, replace it with a NEW phone, or tell them you want to return the device and you will buy it from apple instead.
That always works. AT&T exchanged it on the spot.

Carriers are idiots and liars. I wish the general public cared enough to understand why they give a company $300 a month.
I guess working for Verizon at one time and having a wife that worked for another telecom, we learned and KNOW what we are paying for and why.
I just had a coming to Jesus with an AT&T rep and her manager a few days ago. I had to train manager over the phone for 2 hours, but I got what I wanted. Credits the OWED me.
One I got got to understand WHY my charges were wrong, then she was kissing my *** because she tried to say AT&T didn't do anything wrong.
She ate crow and fixed my ****.

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: At&t Note 5 Reception issues

I had a problem a couple of years ago where they double swiped my card when buying a phone. So I had an additional charge of $200+ on my card. It took me nearly 2 weeks before they finally caved and gave me my money back. I provided them all the proof / statements, but "it was out of their hands". Finally I told them to cancel my account and I wasn't leaving until we had resolution. That actually worked so I may be spending my day off there this week. Depending on the outcome of this fiasco I may be looking into another carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22