At&t Note 5 Reception issues

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
It has to do with the metal frame for the antenna. Samsung hasn't learned how to do it and metal phones in general are simply bad signal carriers anyway.

Look how horrible the S6 (basically a small Note 5) does for signals:

Best for LTE: Galaxy S6, Huawei P8, LG G4 - AndroidAuthority

Naaaa.. I have great reception with mine. He just has a bad phone and is getting the run around from the store. That's all

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig black Galaxy Note 5

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday my wife and I were sitting at a restaurant. I could not use data on my phone. It showed 4g LTE 3 bars would not work. So I tried my wife's S6 and it worked wonderfully. So I don't think it's the metal frame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Candroids

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi All, yes I have a Note 5 which I purchased Aug 22 and as of Sep 10th its been acting up in exact same way as you describe. I'm from Canada and my provider is Rogers so it can't be network retailed issue. It worked perfect since day one and now it has an issue where I cant even make calls and even if I am able to make one it drops it with in 1 min. I get a lot of missed calls and my LTE reception drops too as my Viber account comes and goes off line all day long. This I assume is some kind of internal hardware issue.

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
So I received a message from AT&T this morning to call them. I called the number and as soon as the technician answered I told her I was calling from my phone and the call may drop. So we went through the usual sim card, master reset, etc. and about 4 min into call it dropped. She called me back and I now have a new phone on the way. I paid for expedited shipping so hopefully my problem will be resolved by Wednesday.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
So I received a message from AT&T this morning to call them. I called the number and as soon as the technician answered I told her I was calling from my phone and the call may drop. So we went through the usual sim card, master reset, etc. and about 4 min into call it dropped. She called me back and I now have a new phone on the way. I paid for expedited shipping so hopefully my problem will be resolved by Wednesday.

Good. Hopefully all will be well.

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig black Galaxy Note 5

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
So how do you explain how bad the S6 does in signal performance?
I don't bother myself with what online reviews say about a product. The phone I am receiving a replacement for is the first Samsung product I've owned that has had any issues with the radio.
I've personally had 5 Samsung phones and all worked great until the Note 5. My wife had an S4 Active and now the S6 and she has not complained to me once about signal.
The Note 5 is defective and I'll be receiving a new one later today. I'll be sure to report on its reception.

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
New phone in hand. Using LTE data to post and all seems fine. The real test will be calling my wife on the way home from work.

RJMullins

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
This is not a Note issue, my family is having issues since AT&T started rolling out HD Voice in the Minneapolis area on Note 5, Note Edge, S6, and iPhone 6.

Posted via the Android Central App

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: At&t Note 5 Reception issues

Well apparently for me it was a phone issue. I've been using the new phone for close to 8 hours now and no problems what so ever. It had become so bad my phone was pretty much useless. Only way I was able to use the old phone was wifi for data and very quick conversations on the phone.

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: At&t Note 5 Reception issues

Okay, I received the replacement phone Tuesday morning. I will have to admit I was impressed with the turn around once the technician approved the exchange over the phone Monday morning. The phone has worked flawlessly. I am so relieved the problem is now behind me. A few things I learned along the way that may help others in my predicament.
If you don't have an At&t service dealer in your area you will have to resolve this over the phone. Unfortunately, I do not have a service dealer where I live. The only reason you may need to go to the At&t store would be to exchange your sim card. This is one of the steps I had to do when determining the problem. Best advice.. Call tech support, do not expect the retail store to be of any help in regard to service issues.
All in all the problem was resolved and I now own a fully functional phone. Hopefully I won't have to go through this ordeal again. Thanks again for all the input!

tmp3150

Banned
Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I created an AC account just to reply to your post when I was scrolling through my news stand this morning. You are definitely not the only one with dropped calls and reception issues on the newer samsung devices with the AT&T network. I actually work in the android tech support department there and I've dealt with multiple users with the same issue. Sounds like we've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already with your device and even created a case for it, but I didn't read anywhere in your post if we had you disable the Enhanced 4G LTE services in your settings. AT&T is starting to roll out HD Voice in a lot of markets and a lot of people are having problems with it. It's essentially voice over LTE. I would try turning this setting off, I've had it resolve a lot of call quality issues. The setting is under your mobile networks setting right where you turn off your mobile data. Hope this helps!

Does Pittsburgh PA have the HD voice? I can't find a map showing what areas have the HD voice.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App using the AT&T Note 5, 64GB

mashussein

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I created an AC account just to reply to your post when I was scrolling through my news stand this morning. You are definitely not the only one with dropped calls and reception issues on the newer samsung devices with the AT&T network. I actually work in the android tech support department there and I've dealt with multiple users with the same issue. Sounds like we've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already with your device and even created a case for it, but I didn't read anywhere in your post if we had you disable the Enhanced 4G LTE services in your settings. AT&T is starting to roll out HD Voice in a lot of markets and a lot of people are having problems with it. It's essentially voice over LTE. I would try turning this setting off, I've had it resolve a lot of call quality issues. The setting is under your mobile networks setting right where you turn off your mobile data. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. I've tried that before but ended with EDGE network connection. Was hoping to at least get 4G without LTE. After working with ATT and the same steps the other consumer did, I contacted Samsung. They said they do not have any reports, however issues a ticket to mail the device back to check. I'm waiting to hear. Will update this post. Thank you again do very much!!!

vblok0910#WP

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
OMG, I am so glad i'm not alone with this issue. I would really like to share with you all my aggravations with at&t and samsung. I have been dealing with this issue about one month after buying my S6 on launch day. I have had 3, S6 replacements and they all do the same thing. I have poor signal strength where I work in a major city in CT.I have spent numerous hours on the phone with both samsung and at&t and they are almost no help. They both either will not admit or know there is a wide spread issue with this phone. I have gone though about every trouble shooting step there could be and nothing has fixed this issue with either 3 devices. Finally I complained so much that I talked with a regional manager ,who talked to his manager and got them to even swap me into a note 5. (that wasn't easy,by the way) I thought my problems were over, but sure enough the note 5 is doing the same exact thing. This is extremely annoying, I am ready to give up on samsung products, I have never had these issues before and i have owned every galaxy since the s3.

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
OMG, I am so glad i'm not alone with this issue. I would really like to share with you all my aggravations with at&t and samsung. I have been dealing with this issue about one month after buying my S6 on launch day. I have had 3, S6 replacements and they all do the same thing. I have poor signal strength where I work in a major city in CT.I have spent numerous hours on the phone with both samsung and at&t and they are almost no help. They both either will not admit or know there is a wide spread issue with this phone. I have gone though about every trouble shooting step there could be and nothing has fixed this issue with either 3 devices. Finally I complained so much that I talked with a regional manager ,who talked to his manager and got them to even swap me into a note 5. (that wasn't easy,by the way) I thought my problems were over, but sure enough the note 5 is doing the same exact thing. This is extremely annoying, I am ready to give up on samsung products, I have never had these issues before and i have owned every galaxy since the s3.
Sorry for your troubles. It is incredibly frustrating when your new device doesn't work as advertised. I have a question for you.. Have you tried operating the new phone while slowly adding your software one app at a time to see if there are any conflicts with software?

An update on my status, my new note 5 has been working flawlessly. Hopefully you can find resolution soon.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

It isn't Samsung products. I've had almost all the Samsung products on AT&T and now T-Mobile. My signal issues with AT&T were in expected areas or when there was a network issue.

My S6 Edge was on TMO and my reception was great.

My experience with AT&T is that it isn't easy to get them to look into a network issue. I worked for over a year with AT&T and that issue. Get a supervisor and tell them you want an ICU case opened and someone to contact you that is handling that case. With that many phones exchanged, and of with a new phone, shouldn't be an issue to get an ICU case opened.

vblok0910#WP

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks! But yes that was one the first things I did. I used the phone with no apps added with each replacement for a couple of days.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers