09-17-2015 10:08 AM
26 12
tools
    The other night I was busy and without thinking or looking... actually put it in backwards...it was so easy...
    in the nano second I did it...I realized it!
    I'm a dummy...now what...?
    So I did my you tube searches and learned about and tried using the paper trick...
    let me tell you... go find some paper....or plastic...thin and strong enough to do that task...
    when the pen did come out... I realized it was useless...all the features of the s pen were gone...
    Brought it back to BB where I bought it over 14 days ago and they said bring it to Samsung...
    I'm AT&T , so I then thought about going to the store, which has a service center...
    When I told the salesman what I did, he said to me... just go into the service dept, next door and don't tell them what I did.
    Just say it stopped working!
    So I did that, they did a flash reset to "test" the software and much to our surprise, it still didn't work...
    They said they would order me a replacement and it's on it's way via Fedex!
    The issue must still be too new as they were unaware of it...
    Thumbs up for AT&T this time!
    kaienish likes this.
    09-13-2015 07:16 AM
    Wow
    I'm sure is very stressful to realize what you did.
    But as long as you're getting a new phone that's all it matters.
    Accidents happen

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    debdroid1a likes this.
    09-13-2015 07:46 AM
    The manual clearly says not to do it backwards. Nobody these days reads manuals. Its a shame because samsung could easily turn around and not replace the phone a lot of peope take advantage of that. This is my first note and im always extra careful when i put the pen in. Then again as with any object we dont needs to put them other way around
    09-13-2015 08:11 AM
    The manual clearly says not to do it backwards. Nobody these days reads manuals. Its a shame because samsung could easily turn around and not replace the phone a lot of peope take advantage of that. This is my first note and im always extra careful when i put the pen in. Then again as with any object we dont needs to put them other way around
    The manual that doesn't come with the phone? Is that the manual you're talking about?
    AdamHLG likes this.
    09-14-2015 07:08 AM
    On my third note and have yet to put the pen in backwards. I was careful back when you couldn't go backwards on how to do it. I go from having the point aiming at the screen to having it aimed at the hole. Very simple.

Posted via the Android Central App
    pdqgp and Gray Area like this.
    09-14-2015 09:50 AM
    On my third note and have yet to put the pen in backwards. I was careful back when you couldn't go backwards on how to do it. I go from having the point aiming at the screen to having it aimed at the hole. Very simple.
    This. I have no clue how anyone could put the pen in backwards and not realize it. My entire life of writing with pens that have caps, I never once picked up a marker and put the cap on the wrong end when I was done using it and then tried to put it back in the box/holder. I watch my kids color all the time and never once have they done it either.
    09-14-2015 01:06 PM
    The manual that doesn't come with the phone? Is that the manual you're talking about?
    You seriously need a manual to tell you which direction to insert the stylus for storage?
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    09-14-2015 01:08 PM
    You seriously need a manual to tell you which direction to insert the stylus for storage?
    Apparently so it would seem
    AdamHLG likes this.
    09-14-2015 01:51 PM
    No, I don't need a manual. I'm just tired of all the "read the manual" bull crap, when the manual that Samsung points to doesn't come in the box! Yes, it's a design flaw. You shouldn't make something that breaks this easily for such a simple mistake.
    09-14-2015 05:31 PM
    I got a manual in the box. Why doesn't everyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-14-2015 05:44 PM
    Because VZW puts their own "get started" thing in the box, and then loads the manual electronically on the phone. OH, and BTW, the manual that VZW puts on the phone doesn't have the warning about the S-Pen either. Accidents happen, and Samsung is fixing the issue without a whole lot of stink about it.
    AdamHLG likes this.
    09-14-2015 05:50 PM
    There are two design flaws here: the first is how easily the S-Pen goes in backwards without any type of resistance. This simply didn't happen on previous Note devices, such as the Note 4, where the design causes an immediate and noticeable resistance when attempting to insert it backwards (you'd have to actually forcefully try to push it in). The second design flaw are the new plastic levers inside the silo that are used to detect the presence of the S-Pen. These levers get broken when pulling out a backward inserted S-Pen resulting in damage to the phone. Previous Note devices, again such as the Note 4, have NO levers inside the silo at all. Instead the Note 4 has a sensor built into the outer top edge of the silo that detects a magnet on the top end of the S-Pen.

Sure the end user has a little responsibility (let's say 20%) to try to ensure the S-Pen is inserted properly, but the vast majority (80%) of the issue rests with how Samsung chose to design the Note 5's S-pen and silo. IMHO, this is a consequence of their focus on form over function (in getting the S-Pen to sit completely flush with the edge). Otherwise there was NOTHING wrong with the previous S-Pen design (I'd say it's actually superior!).
    barry99705 and nahoku like this.
    09-14-2015 05:57 PM
    I got a manual in the box. Why doesn't everyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My At$t phone didn't come with a manual. It came with a quick start pamphlet, but there's no mention of the s-pen backwards thing. There was also no manual on the phone.
    09-14-2015 06:02 PM
    My At$t phone didn't come with a manual. It came with a quick start pamphlet, but there's no mention of the s-pen backwards thing. There was also no manual on the phone.
    Maybe that's what I got to. I didn't pay much attention to it. I just know I got some kind of manual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    09-14-2015 06:10 PM
    This has nothing to do with the manual. Even if someone read the manual and understands completely the pen is not supposed to go in backwards, it is still possible to accidentally insert it backwards. this is why it is called an accident, and this is what happened to the OP

Samsung is supposed to do their best to prevent these type of accidents with smart design.
    nahoku likes this.
    09-14-2015 07:22 PM
    The more and more I read about this topic, the more I tend to blame Samsung. Everyone makes mistakes, I don't care who you are! The Note 5 pen should have been designed to not even fit into the silo backwards. This is a definitely a design oversight and I'm sure someone at Samsung got reamed for it!
    09-14-2015 07:57 PM
    I used to think the same thing that it made no sense that someone would put their pen in backwards. But the other night I was using my phone in bed in the dark and I shut off the phone with the s-pen in hand and felt the point on the wrong end as I tried to insert it. I was half asleep but awake enough to know that i was so close to making that dreadful mistake.

It is too easy and entirely possible even for those of us that have heard the stories and read the posts of how it happens. All it takes is a split second and being a just little unfocused.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    nahoku likes this.
    09-14-2015 08:02 PM
    To all the people who dont think its posible. It can happen with running a business from home and having young children anything is posible. If you can get it out via the youtube method your good. If you have it stuck or rip it out its on you or your insurance. The other option is doing it yourself which is also on YouTube check out Max Lee hes has some really good videos for the Note 5. Just remember that if you dont heat the back glass enough it will shatter.
    09-16-2015 12:43 PM
    Easy fix to get pen back out, try this....
    09-16-2015 02:49 PM
    Sure the end user has a little responsibility (let's say 20%) to try to ensure the S-Pen is inserted properly, but the vast majority (80%) of the issue rests with how Samsung chose to design the Note 5's S-pen and silo.
    It's comments like this that typify the difference between U.S. and other Westernized societies. The lack of personal responsibility teamed with how litigious the U.S. is make us comedic fodder abroad. The expectation that suppliers and manufacturers have to protect each and every customer from their own ignorance and sometimes outright stupidity boggles the mind.

I've had a Note 10.1, Note 10.1-14, Note 12, Note II, Note 3, Note 4, and now Note 5. Across years of using all those devices I've never inserted the S Pen wrong. Lost it? More times than I can count. Gotten it wet rendering it useless? Many times. But it's not like you can't feel the difference between the narrow pointed end and blunt end when you're handling it. Team that with the fact none of those devices cost me less than $700 and my heightened sense of awareness probably played a role in not abusing them or doing something stupid with/to them. And if I did do something stupid I'd own it and bear the consequences. There are people here and on the other forum that admittedly stuck it in backwards on purpose after this became news to see if what people were talking about was true and how easy it was to get it stuck. Is Samsung responsible for that?

This is no different than the cracked display threads where people say "I only dropped it from [insert number of feet] and it shouldn't have cracked so it's obviously [insert manufacturer's name] fault because the [insert phone type] is badly designed and too frail."

With or without a manual and not knowing the consequences of sticking it in backwards it's not too difficult to figure out that the pointy side of the S Pen should go in the silo first.
    09-16-2015 03:33 PM
    It's comments like this that typify the difference between U.S. and other Westernized societies. The lack of personal responsibility teamed with how litigious the U.S. is make us comedic fodder abroad. The expectation that suppliers and manufacturers have to protect each and every customer from their own ignorance and sometimes outright stupidity boggles the mind.

I've had a Note 10.1, Note 10.1-14, Note 12, Note II, Note 3, Note 4, and now Note 5. Across years of using all those devices I've never inserted the S Pen wrong. Lost it? More times than I can count. Gotten it wet rendering it useless? Many times. But it's not like you can't feel the difference between the narrow pointed end and blunt end when you're handling it. Team that with the fact none of those devices cost me less than $700 and my heightened sense of awareness probably played a role in not abusing them or doing something stupid with/to them. And if I did do something stupid I'd own it and bear the consequences. There are people here and on the other forum that admittedly stuck it in backwards on purpose after this became news to see if what people were talking about was true and how easy it was to get it stuck. Is Samsung responsible for that?

This is no different than the cracked display threads where people say "I only dropped it from [insert number of feet] and it shouldn't have cracked so it's obviously [insert manufacturer's name] fault because the [insert phone type] is badly designed and too frail."

With or without a manual and not knowing the consequences of sticking it in backwards it's not too difficult to figure out that the pointy side of the S Pen should go in the silo first.
    I used to think that way too as I've NEVER attempted to insert the S-Pen backwards on three different Note devices (ex. OG Note 10.1, Note 2 and 4). But that's missing the point all together as those devices were designed in such a way that made it VERY obvious the S-Pen was going in backwards to the point you'd have to actually force it to go in. That's NOT the case with the Note 5 where they changed the design to the degree you can very easily insert the S-Pen backwards with so little effort you may not even notice until it's too late! To add insult to injury, they also re-designed it in such a way that inserting it backwards actually causes damage to internal components. Again, this wasn't the case at all on previous Note devices EVEN if you could insert the S-Pen backwards. So the fault here is mainly on Samsung for changing the design in such a way to where this is even possible when it previously was not.
    09-16-2015 03:49 PM
    You can very easily insert the S-Pen backwards with so little effort you may not even notice until it's too late!
    That's really not true. The opening on the body of the phone is the same diameter as the clicky end cap on the S Pen.

The pointy end is about 1/3 that at the tip. So someone would have to have extraordinary aim in order to get the clicky end of the pen to line up with the body opening without missing and having to try multiple times. I have problems getting the smaller pointy end lined up sometimes when I'm walking or not paying attention and trying to reinsert the pen.
    09-16-2015 05:07 PM
    That's really not true. The opening on the body of the phone is the same diameter as the clicky end cap on the S Pen.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/690/2...da28bd9a15.jpg

The pointy end is about 1/3 that at the tip. So someone would have to have extraordinary aim in order to get the clicky end of the pen to line up with the body opening without missing and having to try multiple times. I have problems getting the smaller pointy end lined up sometimes when I'm walking or not paying attention and trying to reinsert the pen.
    The video below shows how easily the Note 5 S-Pen goes into the silo AND slides all the way in with just gravity. I can just as easily put my Note 4 S-Pen in backwards, BUT only about a quarter of an inch before it stops and won't go in further unless I apply excessive force.

09-16-2015 05:49 PM
    The video below shows how easily the Note 5 S-Pen goes into the silo AND slides all the way in with just gravity.
    It also makes my point that it's pretty hard to put it in backward accidentally. To make the video you were looking at what you were doing and had already aligned the clicky cap with the body opening. Anyone that conciously puts the pen in backwards probably won't get a lot of sympathy. No matter how distracted I am it's pretty easy by feel to know which end of the pen I'm holding. Add to that my previous comment about the increased difficulty of lining up two same sized objects (the clicky cap and opening) vs. inserting the pen tip side first which requires far less accuracy and you can see how hard a "true" accident would be.

One camp isn't going to change the views of the other so let's agree to disagree on both the scale of this issue and whether responsibility lies with Samsung or the user; nothing's going to happen regardless. Samsung's official position is "don't put the pen in backwards." It'll take a lawyer or regulatory body to change that. If someone wants to go with the former the Note 9 will be out by the time they receive a $20 voucher to use in the Samsung store as settlement. The class action lawyers though will pocket 10's of millions of dollars in fees. That's the way a letigious society works.

So bottom line is don't buy the Note 5 if you're prone to distraction. And if you do buy it know you need to be conciously aware enough to always put the pointy end in first.
    09-16-2015 08:29 PM
    What they could have done was to make the click head a little larger then added a counterbore at the end of the shaft

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    09-17-2015 10:04 AM
26 12