ZAGG Glass for Note 5 = Halo Free !

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: The Otterbox commuter case causes the Zagg glass to peel up in certain areas when you put on the outer shell. :'(
I guess this glass is not "Case Friendly" like past Zagg glass offerings. :'(
I have a UAG case coming but until then I can't use the commuter. I hope the UAG has a thinner lip?
Just a heads up as I don't know if this "Full Screen Coverage" glass will play nice with any case.

This sucks. :(

I think a lot of the reason is because of the teeny tiny side bezel on the new Note 5... With a larger bezel, the screen protector doesn't rub against the screen protector... Do you think this is what is causing the peeling up is the excessive contact on the sides?

I think it is going to be difficult to find a case with minimal "lip" so that it doesn't' come in contact and push the sides of the protector... I know my current Ringke SLIM will do just fine with a tempered glass protector... My case has no lip at all...

LifesGlitchy

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
For what it's worth the Zaggs are great but their QC is horrific. I recently left best buy and have installed hundreds of these. You can get it perfect and there is still a chance it will halo or develop bubbles in the center. I believe this is due to the difficulty of applying the adhesive to the backside of the glass in a flat and uniform manner. The next issue is the stamping process which likely deforms the adhesive around the edges when the die cuts the screen. Thicker deposits or low spots in the adhesive will cause the bubbling. Bubble lines make it apparent where the adhesive sheets meet. This was very common for iphone 6 screens where we would see lines running vertically and horizontally and intersecting in the upper right and corner of the face. I'd say around 30-40% of the screens we receive have these problem for all models. We sent back an insane amount for write-off. Some haloing can be removed by just working at it for a few days. Rub it enough and the adhesive will flatten out and eventually stick. Some screens are a lost cause.

tldr:
It's not wise to buy a zagg without having a retailer install it for you. Don't pay for anything that isn't perfect because it might take a couple shields to get one that's not defective. Pray you get an installer that actually knows what they're doing.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of the reason is because of the teeny tiny side bezel on the new Note 5... With a larger bezel, the screen protector doesn't rub against the screen protector... Do you think this is what is causing the peeling up is the excessive contact on the sides?

I think it is going to be difficult to find a case with minimal "lip" so that it doesn't' come in contact and push the sides of the protector... I know my current Ringke SLIM will do just fine with a tempered glass protector... My case has no lip at all...

The problem I had with the Commuter was up by the top speaker. Took a nail file and sanded the silicone lip of the Commuter and it fits perfect now.

chan_xo

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Bought this from best buy and has a horrible halo. Definitely gonna return!

Attachments

• 1443891263390.jpg
    1443891263390.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 115

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
People who bought the Zagg Glass protectors directly from Verizon corporate stores are not reporting any halos.... I suspect Best Buy's version is slightly different and causes halo.

Lol u have not seen my posts about the halo effect. They put 2 on there with the same results.

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5

gdgtmom

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Installed the Zagg Glass today on my black Note 5 and I'm happy to report that I have no halos at all. I did have some stubborn bubbles that took a while to press out but everything came out prefect (except my sore thumbs). The is the Zagg Glass I purchased from Verizon and is the Full Screen Coverage Version. :)
Here are a few pictures.

View attachment 196543View attachment 196544View attachment 196545View attachment 196546View attachment 196547View attachment 196548View attachment 196561

Installed the zagg glass on my note 5 without a hitch. Nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wizard11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
You guys don't like the blue tint. Does it give the screen a bad look. And is it the one for UV protection outdoors

Posted via the Android Central App

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Lol u have not seen my posts about the halo effect. They put 2 on there with the same results.

I suspect that Zagg has quality control problems. I bought one from my local Verizon corporate store. It went on my 1st Note 5 perfectly with no bubbles/halos. I've put on at least 25 tempered glass screen protector over the last few years, so I think I know what I'm doing. :)

The next day, I ordered one from VerizonWireless.com because I also had other accessories on order. They arrived overnight. I put it on my 2nd Note 5. Halo city. :( I shipped it back to Verizon and received a credit 6 days later.

I then went to my local Verizon corporate store again.(didn't go sooner because they are on the other side of town) After paying for it(billed to my VZW acct), I took it out and used their counter to put it on. It went on perfectly with no halo. There was one bubble that I couldn't press out, so I lifted it up, used tape to get rid of a speck of dust, reapplied it... perfect. No halo and no bubbles.

Fast forward to this morning. I went to the Verizon store again to pick up a 3rd Note 5 because today is the last day of the $400 promo. I got another Zagg protector. Again, I put it on in the store. This time... it has halo all around. :( The manager took out another one and tried to put it on. Nope, still halos. He tried 3 more times and basically gave up. I asked him to open another one and let me try it. The last one went on perfectly!

One thing I did notice is that none of the 5 Zagg screen protectors that were used at the VZW store today had the exact same shape. This is especially so around the top and bottom, near the home button cutout. They were clearly cut differently.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that Zagg has quality control problems. I bought one from my local Verizon corporate store. It went on my 1st Note 5 perfectly with no bubbles/halos. I've put on at least 25 tempered glass screen protector over the last few years, so I think I know what I'm doing. :)

The next day, I ordered one from VerizonWireless.com because I also had other accessories on order. They arrived overnight. I put it on my 2nd Note 5. Halo city. :( I shipped it back to Verizon and received a credit 6 days later.

I then went to my local Verizon corporate store again.(didn't go sooner because they are on the other side of town) After paying for it(billed to my VZW acct), I took it out and used their counter to put it on. It went on perfectly with no halo. There was one bubble that I couldn't press out, so I lifted it up, used tape to get rid of a speck of dust, reapplied it... perfect. No halo and no bubbles.

Fast forward to this morning. I went to the Verizon store again to pick up a 3rd Note 5 because today is the last day of the $400 promo. I got another Zagg protector. Again, I put it on in the store. This time... it has halo all around. :( The manager took out another one and tried to put it on. Nope, still halos. He tried 3 more times and basically gave up. I asked him to open another one and let me try it. The last one went on perfectly!

One thing I did notice is that none of the 5 Zagg screen protectors that were used at the VZW store today had the exact same shape. This is especially so around the top and bottom, near the home button cutout. They were clearly cut differently.

Yea one of the reps at best buy said the same thing about the Zagg glass screen protectors being different sizes. He said it was hit or miss with putting them on. U can't tell until u put it on. My thing with Verizon is that they have their own glass protector. Why aren't they selling that one? I have never had an issue with the Verizon one on any of my other phones.

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yea one of the reps at best buy said the same thing about the Zagg glass screen protectors being different sizes. He said it was hit or miss with putting them on. U can't tell until u put it on. My thing with Verizon is that they have their own glass protector. Why aren't they selling that one? I have never had an issue with the Verizon one on any of my other phones.

you mean the Verizon-braded tempered glass screen protector? the VZW corporate store manager advised me against trying that one.. he said the return rate on that one was nearly 100%.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You did a great job BTW! But why does everyone think the Note 5 and other S6 look great! It looks just like my Note 3 black from the front! And is losing the microSD and removable battery really worth the same phone?! 75% of us put our phones in cases so who cares what it looks like?! Samsung is NOT Apple where they cut out the back in a circle on cases to show the Apple logo!

The back of the Note 5 and curved design look a million times better than fake leather and the plastic bumps meant to look like stitching on the Note 3. Also, depending on the lighting, the color of the Note 5 looks more blue at times. But since you don't care what it looks like, we'll move on.

You want to call it the same phone but aside from improved internals the Note 5 also has better battery life, better screen, better camera, better SPen features, and fast charging.

Bluejayy

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
have my Zagg on since first day,, no halo, looks awesome.

Note 5 is DOPE

LOL lol lol lol lol lol

Couldn't agree with you more. Note 5 is beautiful. I can't put down the phone from my hand.

Lol lol lol lol lol lol

Posted via the Android Central App

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site
What is the purpose of the UV protection on the best Buy version of the Zagg Glass? I understand it for sunglasses and cameras but what does it do for a phone? Does it provide a clearer display in the sun?

I'm using this now but like everyone else I have the halo. I really only see it when the screen is off and have to look hard for it when the screen is on. If the UV will be a lot better in the sun, maybe I'll live with the halo.

For all of you that switched, have you noticed any difference? (besides no halo)

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
What is the purpose of the UV protection on the best Buy version of the Zagg Glass? I understand it for sunglasses and cameras but what does it do for a phone? Does it provide a clearer display in the sun?

I'm using this now but like everyone else I have the halo. I really only see it when the screen is off and have to look hard for it when the screen is on. If the UV will be a lot better in the sun, maybe I'll live with the halo.

For all of you that switched, have you noticed any difference? (besides no halo)

or perhaps it blocks the UV light coming out of the screen so your eyes won't be bombarded with UV light? :) (like those computer reading glasses)