Ex BB10 users

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been a smartphone user since 2007, in particularly BlackBerry's.
Despite BlackBerry being one of the core smartphones I've used, I also used Android, and iOS.

On 25th Aug, I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Why? Well, there is word on the street that the release of the next BlackBerry device will have an Android OS. With that in mind, I thought let me buy an Android device and at least test it out.

Since 25th Aug, I've not touched a BlackBerry (Passport and Z30 are in my drawer).

All that to say, I think I might be 'stuck' on Android, in particular my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

The question, has anyone else converted from BB10 OS to an Android device? If so, from which device to which device?

Go...

shawnOST

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Not the only one... I just purchased a Note 5 as well. Great device but I find myself using quite a few of the BB10 gestures whenever I'm using it.

pmccartney

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I was a BB user from inception until my Z30. I bought a Note 4 in November 2014. Mainly out of curiosity. It's great but so was the Z30.
If the Venice is released and has key BB10 features like the Hub and Keyboard I will be back on board in a heartbeat.

Posted via the Android Central App

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Had a Z10. Ditched it when the issues became unbearable. I had an iPhone before and went to the M7 which was terrible itself

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Had a Z10, years ago but it stopped functioning and stopped working completely. I went to S4 after that. Then Note 3 last October. Bought the Passport when it came out in November. it was my daily driver, but when the device stopped recognizing the SIM Card, I just stuck to using my Note 3. AUGUST 18th is when my new Note 5 arrived in the mail. Now it's my daily driver. I Do look forward to the new AndroidBerry or DroidBerry Venice Slider, however BlackBerry wants to call it.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
There's a few of us here ;) If it doesn't show up in my signature, my phone history is:

Countless Motorola & LG flip phones > BBCurve > BB Storm (original) > BB Tour > BB Bold 9650 > BB Bold 9930 > BB Q10 > Samsung Note 3, Note 4 & 10.1 > Samsung Note 5 & Note Pro 12.2, BB's from about 2007-13.

I stuck with Blackberry thru so much aggravation because I FLOVE the keyboard (well, the Storm was for literally 24 hours, then gave it to my husband). Dealt with the camera issues of the 9900/9930 (very painful for me), and when the Q10 was rumored, even started writing to dev's so that some of my favorite apps might carry over. I spent an awful lot of time tinkering (even back with my LG phones - was a big bitpim user), but eventually life catches up and you just want everything right, right out of the box. And there's only so much tinkering you can do when there are no work arounds.

My biggest issue in leaving BB was going to a touch screen. I DESPISE touch screens. I can type so fast and accurately, usually with one hand, on a BB, that having to think, look and correct on a touch pissed me off. I did start introduce myself to Android slowly with a Note 10.1 while I still had my Q10. When I found out that the Note series phones also had the S-Pen, I saw the rumor threads on the Note 3. Stalked that, bought it on release. Ditto the Note 4 (also the Note Pro 12.2). And now the Note 5. I went into this purchase begrudgingly because of the lack of removable battery and SD Card, but I do love the phone.

I can't tell you how infrequently I "type" on any of my Note devices. When I see posts about having a Note-whichever, and barely using the pen, I don't get it. I even use it to swipe on Swiftkey! On the Note 5's release day, when the keyboard case was briefly shown, as clunky and fugly as it is, I felt like my two best friends (BB & Note) were having a baby! But then I saw the leaked photos and topics on the BB Venice. My beloved keyboard, housed in a pretty nice phone, running Android. Screw the keyboard baby, I want this kid. BUT, now I don't know what I would do without the S-Pen.

I am so torn over this, that for the first time I may keep two phones to switch between. But if only the Venice had the S-Pen...B-Pen...???

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been a smartphone user since 2007, in particularly BlackBerry's.
Despite BlackBerry being one of the core smartphones I've used, I also used Android, and iOS.

On 25th Aug, I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Why? Well, there is word on the street that the release of the next BlackBerry device will have an Android OS. With that in mind, I thought let me buy an Android device and at least test it out.

Since 25th Aug, I've not touched a BlackBerry (Passport and Z30 are in my drawer).

All that to say, I think I might be 'stuck' on Android, in particular my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

The question, has anyone else converted from BB10 OS to an Android device? If so, from which device to which device?

Go...

I also was a BB user since 2006 as my employers choice of email device. I was quite fond of all the various models I've owned for personal use too.

Couple years ago I switched to my first iPhone 4S. Then a iPhone 5 and 5S. Then BB came out with its first all touch Z10 which I jumped on board with. I liked that OS and the Hub notications but the lack of app support just didn't work for long even with being able to sideload all the major missing apps.

So then I went to my first Android which was the Moto X 2014. I kept that for a few months but I had purchased the Galaxy Gear S smart watch which only worked with Galaxy phones so I bought a used Galaxy S4. Then purchased a new S6 a couple months ago and just recently bought the Note 5.

The Note 5 is the keeper for me.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

shawnOST

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
If BlackBerry release an Android device WITH gestures of BB10, that would be a device that I'd find hard to ignore...

Same here, the BB10 OS was just so intuitive. I'm sure I'll adjust to Android but I do miss being able to peek into the hub when a new message arrived. All that being said, the Note5 is an amazing device and I'm glad that I made the switch.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Same here, the BB10 OS was just so intuitive. I'm sure I'll adjust to Android but I do miss being able to peek into the hub when a new message arrived. All that being said, the Note5 is an amazing device and I'm glad that I made the switch.
The Note 5 is rather impressive, isn't it? I only converted because @GdgtMom told me about it...

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I sure hope the App Gap is fixed. Geez, I hate saying that , but I've become accustomed to having apps that just work with my everyday life style. I miss Peek , the Amazing keyboard and the great Led Customization like BeBuzz. Lightflow is no where close to BeBuzz. I hope with the new Venice device it will collaborate with Android Wear. I have the LG G Watch and really rely on it.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a flip phone to my first smart phone (BB Curve (3310, if I'm not mistaken)) back in Sept. 2007. After a few BB devices I hopped onto the Android bandwagon with my temporary HTC EVO (tried Sprint for a couple of weeks) then made it permanent with the Motorola X on Verizon.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a 'convert', but I've owned a number of BB10 devices for fun. I like experimenting with different operating systems, but Android is always my main one.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping with the adoption of Android, BlackBerry will release their keyboard for purchase. Hub was a nightmare.

"Hub was a nightmare...", really? I feel it did its job. My only issue was once receiving/viewing text messages and it wouldn't go back to the Hub by default...

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
p.s. - Even after being a long time loyal BB user, I'm not really looking for a new phone with a physical keyboard. My keyboard days are over as Swiftkey allows me to type 'decently' enough and my employer recently switched out our BB 9900's to horrendous windows HTC M8's so I'm not really going to type lengthy emails for work anymore. So I guess I'm full fledged convert to android!

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The hub was just a cluster**** in my opinion. I get a lot of emails and I didn't want them with my text messages and other updates. I like android because it groups up notifications and I can expand them if I want. Also the android notifications that happen up top is more convenient than peek

Sent from my smexy T-Mobile Note 5

McNibbler

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is my first android. I've been using BB since the pearl. It's taking some getting used to and I miss my fav apps (BeBuzz was amazing, Blackberry Travel-can't find anything else as complete as it and a few others). I couldn't sideload the apps that I needed for work, so I upgraded. My last was the Q10. I miss the keyboard, but I don't miss the dinky screen. I miss the ability to store on the micro sd but I don't miss the camera. I don't think I will go back. The hub was great, but I am enjoying my Note.