Simultaneous Voice/Data?

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I came from Motorola Droid world where we had to wait on voLTE to be able to do both at same time. Had to have advanced calling on to do it.

Is that the case with this phone? I was going to turn off advanced calling for battery life...

Posted via the Android Central App

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Possibly if another carrier works for them. It is more a technology restriction versus Verizon doing anything.

That's true but why deal with a company who's technology restricts their ability to use their phone to the fullest potential? AT&T and Tmobile can give these users the ability to have their phone take advantage of the latest tech which allows them to make calls and browse whatever app they want during calls.

Besides, AT&T has the greatest 4G LTE coverage in all major areas.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's true but why deal with a company who's technology restricts their ability to use their phone to the fullest potential? AT&T and Tmobile can give these users the ability to have their phone take advantage of the latest tech which allows them to make calls and browse whatever app they want during calls.

Besides, AT&T has the greatest 4G LTE coverage in all major areas.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

As always -- depends on the coverage in the area :).

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
What makes me mad, is verizon has always treated me great, and i get great service, but the droid turbo was the first phone i got from them that you had to have advanced calling on to do siml voice/data. My note 2 3 and 4 didnt. But now the 5 does.

Something to do with removing a radio in the phone?

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
My old thunder bolt could do it lol. So could my m8. My wife's X pure claims to be able to. I haven't gotten that phone in yet though.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
What makes me mad, is verizon has always treated me great, and i get great service, but the droid turbo was the first phone i got from them that you had to have advanced calling on to do siml voice/data. My note 2 3 and 4 didnt. But now the 5 does.

Yes, you are correct. This issue results from the fact that is has only 1 radio now. That said, the replies in this thread might be confusing to folks who don't have it.

The GN5 DOES DO voice & Data on Verizon.

It does require Advanced calling. If you disable advanced calling, it will not. work It's not an issue, and it works fine on Verizon for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

My old thunder bolt could do it lol. So could my m8. My wife's X pure claims to be able to. I haven't gotten that phone in yet though.

Below is why.

GSM Carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile) – Both can use voice and data at the same. Either on HSPA or on LTE (using VoLTE).
CDMA Carriers (Sprint / Verizon) – These carriers can only handle voice or data. Not both at the same time… Unless using VoLTE. Verizon currently has VoLTE whereas Sprint doesn’t. You may be asking – why is this? My old phone did this... which I am sure it did. A more detailed explanation is below.
[INFO]The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.
Now they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE for your calls it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) so it is technically then all data which would bypass this restriction.[/INFO]

babygirl0419

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes this feature on verizon sucks. All my calls dropped even though I'm in a 4g area. I called tech support, they replaced my phone, replaced my sim card and still no luck. I called back after the new phone dropped my call again and she told me that they are having issues with this feature working properly because its still a work in progress. Ok I totally understand that but why make ppl have to deal with this issue while you're still working out the kinks? From what verizon tells me all phones will be made like this. Like I said I'm all for improvements but I just wish they would wait until everything is ok first.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

The x pure on Verizon will not do calls and data without advanced calling turned on. Sorry. ..

Posted via the Android Central App

GPITTS1069

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
This is a real issue for me. I've never had problems with Verizon dropping calls now just like that I'm dropping calls 4 and 5 times. I want to take this damn Turbo back and just use my Maxx until they straighten all this mess out. This is unacceptable. Don't put a product out as the best and brightest until you do a little more research. Smh!!! I'm really hating this!!! I used to talk smack to my friends about them being with other carriers and dropping calls. Now it's me!!! Smh!!!

babygirl0419

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
This is a real issue for me. I've never had problems with Verizon dropping calls now just like that I'm dropping calls 4 and 5 times. I want to take this damn Turbo back and just use my Maxx until they straighten all this mess out. This is unacceptable. Don't put a product out as the best and brightest until you do a little more research. Smh!!! I'm really hating this!!! I used to talk smack to my friends about them being with other carriers and dropping calls. Now it's me!!! Smh!!!
Its not the phone its verizon's advanced calling feature. I hate it too.

Sent from my N5

babygirl0419

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
All of my calls drop. I live in a real good 4g area and my calls still drop. Even when talking to my son, which has an s6 with the feature as well and still get the same result.

Sent from my N5

babygirl0419

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a little cell standby drain when on wifi but it doesn't really bother me much. I still get good battery life.

Sent from my N5