I have to say that I am very Surprised the Samsung email app does not support the S Pen. Is there a good alternative? I know Nine does not.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-14-2015 07:09 PM
    You mean within the Exchange app you can't use the S Pen? I'll have to try it.

For the first time today, I used the S Pen to reply to a thread via TapaTalk...
    09-14-2015 07:42 PM
    You mean within the Exchange app you can't use the S Pen? I'll have to try it.

For the first time today, I used the S Pen to reply to a thread via TapaTalk...
    I know. I can do it on the AC app but not the stock email app.

09-14-2015 08:01 PM
    Im probably missing something, so I'm curious to find out. What functionality are you looking for that's not there? I've used the S Pen in Nine to scroll through emails and reply via writing with the pen. Is it the Air View functions or something else that's not supported? I'm not a super heavy pen user, so I'm wondering what should be there that's not. I can't imagine not using Nine at this point. It crushes every other Exchange app IMHO at this point.
    Connert likes this.
    09-14-2015 08:25 PM
    Download google handwriting input app from app store and google Keyboard app. In the Keyboard when you hit the globe icon it'll enable the handwriting input and you can write in any app. hope this helps

09-14-2015 08:47 PM
    Im probably missing something, so I'm curious to find out. What functionality are you looking for that's not there? I've used the S Pen in Nine to scroll through emails and reply via writing with the pen. Is it the Air View functions or something else that's not supported? I'm not a super heavy pen user, so I'm wondering what should be there that's not. I can't imagine not using Nine at this point. It crushes every other Exchange app IMHO at this point.
    I tried to write with the s pen in Nine and could not. I will try again.

09-14-2015 08:55 PM
    I tried to write with the s pen in Nine and could not. I will try again.

This is a function of the keyboard. I'm a big fan of Swiftkey, but the one thing I wish it would do is the pen input like the stock keyboard.

I just tested the pen in Nine Mail with the stock keyboard and it worked perfectly. Check the keyboard settings and be sure "Pen detection" is enabled.

Edit: I have to agree with the above post, Nine Mail is awesome.
    09-14-2015 09:22 PM
    This is a function of the keyboard. I'm a big fan of Swiftkey, but the one thing I wish it would do is the pen input like the stock keyboard.

I just tested the pen in Nine Mail with the stock keyboard and it worked perfectly. Check the keyboard settings and be sure "Pen detection" is enabled.

Edit: I have to agree with the above post, Nine Mail is awesome.
    It is not a keyboard issue. I am using the stock keyboard.

09-15-2015 07:14 AM
    It is not a keyboard issue. I am using the stock keyboard.

Did you check the "Pen detection" setting in the keyboard settings?

09-15-2015 08:32 AM
    Here are screen shots of the setting and my keyboard in Nine Mail when I remove the pen.

Attached Thumbnails Any email apps that work with S Pen?-1023.jpg   Any email apps that work with S Pen?-1024.jpg  
    09-15-2015 09:33 AM
    I figured out the answer. I ended up keeping swiftkey installed. I do not like the handwriting feature of the samsung KB and flow works better with swiftkey natively in my opinion. In Nine you can disable "rich text" in the composer settings menu. Then you can use your s pen. This does not fix the issue in the stock email app.

Thanks for the help.
    09-15-2015 11:02 AM
    I figured out the answer. I ended up keeping swiftkey installed. I do not like the handwriting feature of the samsung KB and flow works better with swiftkey natively in my opinion. In Nine you can disable "rich text" in the composer settings menu. Then you can use your s pen. This does not fix the issue in the stock email app.

Thanks for the help.
    Awesome, I'm glad you found what you were looking for. Swiftkey and Nine Mail are my favorites.

09-15-2015 12:32 PM