Default App Question

cre8tivspirit

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Since I'm new to the whole Android experience, I'm struggling with setting certain things up. I want to use my Outlook app as my default email app. I've done some searches on the internet for help but nothing seems to be what I need. The closest thing I found was instruction to go into settings > device > Applications > Application manager > "All" > then scroll down to the app I want to make default and select "set as default". I don't have that option. See screenshot. From what I can see, there is no default for email set but I couldn't say for sure. Can an email app even be set as a default?

Screenshot_2015-09-15-19-14-43.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Usually, when you're presented with the option to send an email to someone while you're in another app, it will ask you which app you want to send the email with. When you select it, it will ask you if you want to use that app to complete the task Just Once, or Always. Select Always, and it will become the default.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Is that the case? I don't have one to check--I'm basing it on the typical Android interface. Sorry if I'm misleading anyone!
Sorry, I thought you had a Note 5. I was actually double-checking "my" knowledge, not yours! I heard the "Just Once" was dropped on the Note 5. I'm sure someone will clarify shortly.

cre8tivspirit

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've seen the "Just Once" option for my browsers on my Note 5. I was hoping that there would be a way to simply select a default without going through that process. So I guess my next question would be how do you change defaults if you chose the "always" option before?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't own a Note 5, and I'm not even running Lollipop, much less 5.1.1... however, I can't imagine they changed much. Go to Settings > Applications > Default Applications. There you should find a list of all the apps you have set as defaults. All you have to do is Clear the app that's currently set as default, and the next time you open whatever you cleared, the phone will again ask you which app you want to set as the default.

EDIT: One other thing... not all defaults will show up in Default Applications. You may have to go into specific Settings to change the default, like for your messaging app, you would need to go to Settings > Applications > Messages.

Hopefully, they didn't change much in where things are.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can also select the app in the App Manager and tap the Clear Defaults button. You can see it in the screenshot you had originally posted, but it's greyed out there because a default hadn't yet been set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12