02-25-2016 09:27 PM
107 1234 ...
tools
    Just put some superglue on it and move on with your day. Everybody is a design engineer all of a sudden. Out of millions of S pens there a handful of broken ones. That is pretty good actually. Hate to see people slam a company and talk trash over trivial stuff. If it bothers you that bad, buy a different phone. It really is that easy.
    11-11-2015 06:26 AM
    Just put some superglue on it and move on with your day. Everybody is a design engineer all of a sudden. Out of millions of S pens there a handful of broken ones. That is pretty good actually. Hate to see people slam a company and talk trash over trivial stuff. If it bothers you that bad, buy a different phone. It really is that easy.
    Personally, i'm not slamming anyone. I've never had the Note 4, or the Note 5, but after considering buying the "5", i do have concerns. Samsung makes a quality product, but they may have dropped the ball on their stylus. As for myself, i would refuse to pay a high price for any phone, and then have to use glue to repair any part of it. I believe that a further investigation is needed by Samsung. The phone is glass and steel, so why would they "cheap out", and add a plastic stylus? Something isn't right. Just my opinion.
    11-11-2015 07:20 AM
    Personally, i'm not slamming anyone. I've never had the Note 4, or the Note 5, but after considering buying the "5", i do have concerns. Samsung makes a quality product, but they may have dropped the ball on their stylus. As for myself, i would refuse to pay a high price for any phone, and then have to use glue to repair any part of it. I believe that a further investigation is needed by Samsung. The phone is glass and steel, so why would they "cheap out", and add a plastic stylus? Something isn't right. Just my opinion.
    Well the plastic isn't an issue. The spen has always been made of polycarbonate plastic, which isn't just cheap, fragile plastic.

This spen is two pieces and in the past, they have been one piece. Anything that is one piece is going to be stronger than two pieces.

Issues with a broken spen is not a thing. There have been a handful of people that have a broken spen out of all the devices sold.
    11-11-2015 07:32 AM
    I'm not sure that's entirely fair to say. Any manufacturer is going to have issues at some point with a mass produced product. None of them are exempt from these things. And I'm not sure how big of a problem it is. All I know is that I have a Note 5 and my s-pen has stayed together for the month I have had it. This issue reminds me of the issue with the Nexus 6 last year with the battery door coming unglued. I had a Nexus 6. It was fine. Never had an issue.
    grunt0300 likes this.
    11-11-2015 07:34 AM
    I'm not sure that's entirely fair to say. Any manufacturer is going to have issues at some point with a mass produced product. None of them are exempt from these things. And I'm not sure how big of a problem it is. All I know is that I have a Note 5 and my s-pen has stayed together for the month I have had it. This issue reminds me of the issue with the Nexus 6 last year with the battery door coming unglued. I had a Nexus 6. It was fine. Never had an issue.
    O.K., I had narrowed my search for a new phone down to the LG V10, and the Note 5, but was leaning towards the Note 5. Now, it's back in the running. Believe it or not, i've never had a mechanical problem with any of my phones, nor have i ever dropped one. Thanks for the clarification.
    11-11-2015 07:56 AM
    O.K., I had narrowed my search for a new phone down to the LG V10, and the Note 5, but was leaning towards the Note 5. Now, it's back in the running. Believe it or not, i've never had a mechanical problem with any of my phones, nor have i ever dropped one. Thanks for the clarification.
    I just think that you run the risk buying any device that there is going to be some defect or issue. And you can just return it if that's a problem. I just don't understand why people pick and choose what to get upset about. When I go to the iMore forums, you can find many threads of people complaining about dead pixels on the screen. But you don't hear anyone say there needs to be a recall on iPhones. And I'm sure there are more iPhones suffering from dead pixels than there are Notes with a broken s-pen.
    grunt0300 likes this.
    11-11-2015 08:01 AM
    I just think that you run the risk buying any device that there is going to be some defect or issue. And you can just return it if that's a problem. I just don't understand why people pick and choose what to get upset about. When I go to the iMore forums, you can find many threads of people complaining about dead pixels on the screen. But you don't hear anyone say there needs to be a recall on iPhones. And I'm sure there are more iPhones suffering from dead pixels than there are Notes with a broken s-pen.
    Except for my Nexus 5, i've never owned a phone that didn't have an ext.sd card. The Note 5, with 64gbs. and my Google Drive app (100gbs. for $1.99 a month), i should have ample space for all my documents, music, and pictures. I guess that "no ext.sd card" is the wave of the future.
    11-11-2015 08:56 AM
    Except for my Nexus 5, i've never owned a phone that didn't have an ext.sd card. The Note 5, with 64gbs. and my Google Drive app (100gbs. for $1.99 a month), i should have ample space for all my documents, music, and pictures. I guess that "no ext.sd card" is the wave of the future.
    Yes. But the cloud storage is kind of like a micro SD card. And I prefer it that way because I can manage it even when I don't have my phone on me. I hated micro SD cards. So glad that Samsung did away with them in their latest offerings.
    11-11-2015 09:04 AM
    I'm in the exact same boat. Also Google photo gives unlimited photo and video for free.

It takes a bit to get used to not being able to pop your card in the new phone and have ring tones, etc right there. You just have to get used to cloud, it isn't worse, just different. I also find now that I don't keep so much unnecessary junk now like I did on my SD card. I had every single screenshot made since my Note 1 on that card lol
    11-11-2015 09:31 AM
    I'm in the exact same boat. Also Google photo gives unlimited photo and video for free.

It takes a bit to get used to not being able to pop your card in the new phone and have ring tones, etc right there. You just have to get used to cloud, it isn't worse, just different. I also find now that I don't keep so much unnecessary junk now like I did on my SD card. I had every single screenshot made since my Note 1 on that card lol
    Tomorrow, i'll go into my local AT&T store, and do a "hands on" with the LG V10, Note 4, and Note 5. They're all on display there. I'll have a much better idea, when i walk out.
    11-11-2015 03:28 PM
    Tomorrow, i'll go into my local AT&T store, and do a "hands on" with the LG V10, Note 4, and Note 5. They're all on display there. I'll have a much better idea, when i walk out.
    Well I can tell you, the Note 5 feels so much better in your hands than the Note 4. The Note 4 is slightly larger, same screen size though and a little thicker. It was just a little too wide for me and seemed top heavy in my hands after a long day of use. My hands would actually ache. The Note 4 feels a lot heavier even though it isn't. The Note 5 just feels better in your hands.
    11-11-2015 03:44 PM
    Well I can tell you, the Note 5 feels so much better in your hands than the Note 4. The Note 4 is slightly larger, same screen size though and a little thicker. It was just a little too wide for me and seemed top heavy in my hands after a long day of use. My hands would actually ache. The Note 4 feels a lot heavier even though it isn't. The Note 5 just feels better in your hands.
    AT&T gives you 14 days to change your phone. That should be a fair amount of time, to make up one's mind.
    11-11-2015 06:56 PM
    Glue this on to see whether it will work normally, or buy it at Witrigs.com just for 14 dollars.
    11-11-2015 10:03 PM
    Ive had the note 2 and note 4 prior to my note 5, and I never had a problem with the s-pen breaking. I will say that they do seem quite easy to snap but only if I went out of my way to do so. I use the s-pen excessively throughout the day.

But wow, how much pressure are y'all applying to the s-pen while holding it? Hahaha.
    11-12-2015 12:23 AM
    I'm sure with the Note 6 Samsung will improve the s-pen to make it more durable.
    11-12-2015 02:21 AM
    $15 Vs $25 -- I DON'T have 10 Posts so I was DENIED posting a Link for an eBay site that has $15.35 Pen I ordered Vs $25 Pen site posted earlier. Prompt Arrival w/5 Tips -
    Keep Looking.
    Note (pardon pun) that when I tried it out of the mailer nothing happened.
    AFTER I INSERTED it into the N5, Extracted it, THEN it worked.
    11-12-2015 05:25 AM
    Same here in having the Note 2 and 4 (no Note 5 for me though due to lack of a user-replaceable battery) and I've never seen a single post over the years in those two respective forums that has been anything like this issue with the Note 5 S-Pen. So I can only come to the conclusion the issue is related to the redesign of adding the spring-release mechanism and the pressures it may be adding to how the end is secured (or lack thereof) to the S-Pen. To be frank, I hope they go back to the older, simpler design of using a single motion to remove the S-Pen (ex. just pull it out by grabbing the outer edge with a fingernail).

P.S. - nice avatar! Go Broncos!!!!
    There is no spen issue. Every Note that has come out, there has been people posting right away, on this very forum, their spen broke, it dropped out and they lost it, it stopped working, etc.

This spen is no different than previous. The only difference is someone stuck their spen in backwards, posted about it, every tech site and numerous forums posted about it. Many people looking for bad stuff about the Note 5, starting tweeting, posting to Facebook and tech sites about this. Tech people started intentionally putting their spen in backwards and declared it a flaw. Users started trying it and put their spen in backwards. I guarantee you, had people not taken the person that first did this and posted about it like it was some issue and intentionally doing it themselves, no one would have heard of it and it wouldn't have kept happening.

I'm willing to bet that there are or will be some issues of failure at the clicker end, because many people are clicking the spen when they have it out. I had to really pay attention and break the habit of clicking the spen over and over while I had it out.

Of the millions of devices sold, I have heard of a handful of spens having an issue where people say nothing happened. I've heard of some dropping their phone and then they have an issue.

Out of millions of anything made, there will be a failure here and there and that doesn't indicate an issue, that is manufacturing.

The Note 5 battery does much better than the Note 4 battery, there is no need for battery switching for the vast majority of users. Only a tiny niche of people actually "NEED" to be able to change batteries and many of those just want that option.

From what I heard today when the person from Samsung called me, it seems to me that replaceable batteries in their flagship devices look to be retired.

There never was an spen issue, it was a made up issue.
    11-12-2015 05:00 PM
    Mine broke the day after I got my phone. Disappointing. I glued it back together, but now it doesn't sit flush in the bottom of the phone. Sigh.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-12-2015 11:18 PM
    Mine broke the day after I got my phone. Disappointing. I glued it back together, but now it doesn't sit flush in the bottom of the phone. Sigh.

How did you break it?
    11-12-2015 11:21 PM
    I actually dropped the phone. Even though the pen was all the way in, it popped out and broke at the seam. No damage at all to the phone thought.

11-12-2015 11:24 PM
    I actually dropped the phone. Even though the pen was all the way in, it popped out and broke at the seam. No damage at all to the phone thought.

Did you have a case?
    11-12-2015 11:25 PM
    Yes. Happily so.

11-12-2015 11:26 PM
    Hmm.. If it isn't sitting flush, that sounds like it wasn't put back together exactly, that the place where it came apart isn't meeting together like it should.

If that is the case, the good and bad news is that it is likely to come apart again. Hopefully if that happens, it will be while the spen is out of the phone and it happens when you are aware and you don't lose part or part of it gets stuck in the phone. Since doesn't seem to be back together exactly, if I were you, I would buy one of the less expensive replacements and use that. If you can't do that, then when and if it comes apart, very gently scrape and pick off the glue with a thin, sharp knife. I'm assuming you used super glue. If you can get it all off, and not scrape down any of the actual spen, then you can get it back together exactly and it should hold it well.

To glue it back, at minimum, I would use a very thin layer of the gel super glue. Less is really more with applications of super glue. The most important aspect is getting it lined back up perfectly.

The glue that would probably be better, but is more difficult to work with, is Gorilla glue. If you aren't familiar, it takes a light mist of water to activate and it expands almost like a spray foam does. If you use the Gorilla glue, you need a very, very, very, very, very, VERY thin layer and just a tiny, tiny mist of water before putting the two ends together. Even though I've used Gorilla glue a few times, I would still practice first on a couple of plastic pens that I break in half. That will give you an idea of how much it expands and how much to use. The Gorilla glue can be good if a tiny piece chipped off where you are gluing it back or if the ends are no longer exactly perfect to meet together completely. It can fill those tiny areas and make it strong there instead of it being a weak point. You just can't have too much and you will want to make sure that as the glue expands over the few hours it takes to dry, it doesn't push the two pieces apart any and make it longer than it is supposed to be.
    11-13-2015 12:40 AM
    Mine broke as well. I called Samsung and they told me to just send in the pen. They will send me a new once they get it but they said it would be a few weeks before I get the new one..

11-13-2015 01:18 AM
    Mine broke as well. I called Samsung and they told me to just send in the pen. They will send me a new once they get it but they said it would be a few weeks before I get the new one..

Why did they say it would take a few weeks?
    11-13-2015 08:34 AM
107 1234 ...