S Pen broken

chretts

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Before I go buy the note 5, how is this breaking? Is it too much pressure on the pen or just the fact that it's plastic?

Sent from my XT1058 using Android Central

I believe, at least in my situation, it's because they've used 2 tiny little daps of adhesive to hold the top piece on...if you look at the pictures I posted in the OP that little brown spot is the glue...there is another tiny spot just like that on the other side.

TV417

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Others' pens have broken too. I wouldn't glue it; I would complain to Samsung. Of course out of sheer corporate stupidity they'll probably make you send in your entire phone for warranty repair, but at least they'll know they shouldn't have cheaped out on the ONE moving part in this entire $800+ device. I have a feeling they're going to be replacing a lot of these.

I guess you're lucky it broke when it was out of the phone. I'm not sure how you would get it out if that part snapped off inside the phone and all that came out was the clicky end.

Unbelievable that less than 1/4" of plastic and maybe some glue is all that keeps that together right where your hand puts pressure on it, too. The s-pen folks really dropped the ball on this one, IMO. Pen should have been metal, screwed together, and beveled at the edge.

I got off the phone with Samsung. And yes they want me to mail the phone to them. Well that's not gonna happen. Oh she said they didn't have any in "stock"
So off to Amazon I go.

Posted via the Android Central App

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Just put some superglue on it and move on with your day. Everybody is a design engineer all of a sudden. Out of millions of S pens there a handful of broken ones. That is pretty good actually. Hate to see people slam a company and talk trash over trivial stuff. If it bothers you that bad, buy a different phone. It really is that easy.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Just put some superglue on it and move on with your day. Everybody is a design engineer all of a sudden. Out of millions of S pens there a handful of broken ones. That is pretty good actually. Hate to see people slam a company and talk trash over trivial stuff. If it bothers you that bad, buy a different phone. It really is that easy.

Personally, i'm not slamming anyone. I've never had the Note 4, or the Note 5, but after considering buying the "5", i do have concerns. Samsung makes a quality product, but they may have dropped the ball on their stylus. As for myself, i would refuse to pay a high price for any phone, and then have to use glue to repair any part of it. I believe that a further investigation is needed by Samsung. The phone is glass and steel, so why would they "cheap out", and add a plastic stylus? Something isn't right. Just my opinion.:-\

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally, i'm not slamming anyone. I've never had the Note 4, or the Note 5, but after considering buying the "5", i do have concerns. Samsung makes a quality product, but they may have dropped the ball on their stylus. As for myself, i would refuse to pay a high price for any phone, and then have to use glue to repair any part of it. I believe that a further investigation is needed by Samsung. The phone is glass and steel, so why would they "cheap out", and add a plastic stylus? Something isn't right. Just my opinion.:-\

Well the plastic isn't an issue. The spen has always been made of polycarbonate plastic, which isn't just cheap, fragile plastic.

This spen is two pieces and in the past, they have been one piece. Anything that is one piece is going to be stronger than two pieces.

Issues with a broken spen is not a thing. There have been a handful of people that have a broken spen out of all the devices sold.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure that's entirely fair to say. Any manufacturer is going to have issues at some point with a mass produced product. None of them are exempt from these things. And I'm not sure how big of a problem it is. All I know is that I have a Note 5 and my s-pen has stayed together for the month I have had it. This issue reminds me of the issue with the Nexus 6 last year with the battery door coming unglued. I had a Nexus 6. It was fine. Never had an issue.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that's entirely fair to say. Any manufacturer is going to have issues at some point with a mass produced product. None of them are exempt from these things. And I'm not sure how big of a problem it is. All I know is that I have a Note 5 and my s-pen has stayed together for the month I have had it. This issue reminds me of the issue with the Nexus 6 last year with the battery door coming unglued. I had a Nexus 6. It was fine. Never had an issue.

O.K., I had narrowed my search for a new phone down to the LG V10, and the Note 5, but was leaning towards the Note 5. Now, it's back in the running. Believe it or not, i've never had a mechanical problem with any of my phones, nor have i ever dropped one. Thanks for the clarification.:p

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
O.K., I had narrowed my search for a new phone down to the LG V10, and the Note 5, but was leaning towards the Note 5. Now, it's back in the running. Believe it or not, i've never had a mechanical problem with any of my phones, nor have i ever dropped one. Thanks for the clarification.
I just think that you run the risk buying any device that there is going to be some defect or issue. And you can just return it if that's a problem. I just don't understand why people pick and choose what to get upset about. When I go to the iMore forums, you can find many threads of people complaining about dead pixels on the screen. But you don't hear anyone say there needs to be a recall on iPhones. And I'm sure there are more iPhones suffering from dead pixels than there are Notes with a broken s-pen.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I just think that you run the risk buying any device that there is going to be some defect or issue. And you can just return it if that's a problem. I just don't understand why people pick and choose what to get upset about. When I go to the iMore forums, you can find many threads of people complaining about dead pixels on the screen. But you don't hear anyone say there needs to be a recall on iPhones. And I'm sure there are more iPhones suffering from dead pixels than there are Notes with a broken s-pen.

Except for my Nexus 5, i've never owned a phone that didn't have an ext.sd card. The Note 5, with 64gbs. and my Google Drive app (100gbs. for $1.99 a month), i should have ample space for all my documents, music, and pictures. I guess that "no ext.sd card" is the wave of the future.:p

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Except for my Nexus 5, i've never owned a phone that didn't have an ext.sd card. The Note 5, with 64gbs. and my Google Drive app (100gbs. for $1.99 a month), i should have ample space for all my documents, music, and pictures. I guess that "no ext.sd card" is the wave of the future.
Yes. But the cloud storage is kind of like a micro SD card. And I prefer it that way because I can manage it even when I don't have my phone on me. I hated micro SD cards. So glad that Samsung did away with them in their latest offerings.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Except for my Nexus 5, i've never owned a phone that didn't have an ext.sd card. The Note 5, with 64gbs. and my Google Drive app (100gbs. for $1.99 a month), i should have ample space for all my documents, music, and pictures. I guess that "no ext.sd card" is the wave of the future.:p

I'm in the exact same boat. Also Google photo gives unlimited photo and video for free.

It takes a bit to get used to not being able to pop your card in the new phone and have ring tones, etc right there. You just have to get used to cloud, it isn't worse, just different. I also find now that I don't keep so much unnecessary junk now like I did on my SD card. I had every single screenshot made since my Note 1 on that card lol

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the exact same boat. Also Google photo gives unlimited photo and video for free.

It takes a bit to get used to not being able to pop your card in the new phone and have ring tones, etc right there. You just have to get used to cloud, it isn't worse, just different. I also find now that I don't keep so much unnecessary junk now like I did on my SD card. I had every single screenshot made since my Note 1 on that card lol

Tomorrow, i'll go into my local AT&T store, and do a "hands on" with the LG V10, Note 4, and Note 5. They're all on display there. I'll have a much better idea, when i walk out.:p

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Tomorrow, i'll go into my local AT&T store, and do a "hands on" with the LG V10, Note 4, and Note 5. They're all on display there. I'll have a much better idea, when i walk out.:p

Well I can tell you, the Note 5 feels so much better in your hands than the Note 4. The Note 4 is slightly larger, same screen size though and a little thicker. It was just a little too wide for me and seemed top heavy in my hands after a long day of use. My hands would actually ache. The Note 4 feels a lot heavier even though it isn't. The Note 5 just feels better in your hands.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I can tell you, the Note 5 feels so much better in your hands than the Note 4. The Note 4 is slightly larger, same screen size though and a little thicker. It was just a little too wide for me and seemed top heavy in my hands after a long day of use. My hands would actually ache. The Note 4 feels a lot heavier even though it isn't. The Note 5 just feels better in your hands.

AT&T gives you 14 days to change your phone. That should be a fair amount of time, to make up one's mind.:p

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Ive had the note 2 and note 4 prior to my note 5, and I never had a problem with the s-pen breaking. I will say that they do seem quite easy to snap but only if I went out of my way to do so. I use the s-pen excessively throughout the day.

But wow, how much pressure are y'all applying to the s-pen while holding it? Hahaha.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca