S Pen broken

CraigS26

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
$15 Vs $25 -- I DON'T have 10 Posts so I was DENIED posting a Link for an eBay site that has $15.35 Pen I ordered Vs $25 Pen site posted earlier. Prompt Arrival w/5 Tips -
Keep Looking.
Note (pardon pun) that when I tried it out of the mailer nothing happened.
AFTER I INSERTED it into the N5, Extracted it, THEN it worked.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Same here in having the Note 2 and 4 (no Note 5 for me though due to lack of a user-replaceable battery) and I've never seen a single post over the years in those two respective forums that has been anything like this issue with the Note 5 S-Pen. So I can only come to the conclusion the issue is related to the redesign of adding the spring-release mechanism and the pressures it may be adding to how the end is secured (or lack thereof) to the S-Pen. To be frank, I hope they go back to the older, simpler design of using a single motion to remove the S-Pen (ex. just pull it out by grabbing the outer edge with a fingernail). :)

P.S. - nice avatar! Go Broncos!!!! :p

There is no spen issue. Every Note that has come out, there has been people posting right away, on this very forum, their spen broke, it dropped out and they lost it, it stopped working, etc.

This spen is no different than previous. The only difference is someone stuck their spen in backwards, posted about it, every tech site and numerous forums posted about it. Many people looking for bad stuff about the Note 5, starting tweeting, posting to Facebook and tech sites about this. Tech people started intentionally putting their spen in backwards and declared it a flaw. Users started trying it and put their spen in backwards. I guarantee you, had people not taken the person that first did this and posted about it like it was some issue and intentionally doing it themselves, no one would have heard of it and it wouldn't have kept happening.

I'm willing to bet that there are or will be some issues of failure at the clicker end, because many people are clicking the spen when they have it out. I had to really pay attention and break the habit of clicking the spen over and over while I had it out.

Of the millions of devices sold, I have heard of a handful of spens having an issue where people say nothing happened. I've heard of some dropping their phone and then they have an issue.

Out of millions of anything made, there will be a failure here and there and that doesn't indicate an issue, that is manufacturing.

The Note 5 battery does much better than the Note 4 battery, there is no need for battery switching for the vast majority of users. Only a tiny niche of people actually "NEED" to be able to change batteries and many of those just want that option.

From what I heard today when the person from Samsung called me, it seems to me that replaceable batteries in their flagship devices look to be retired.

There never was an spen issue, it was a made up issue.

ashleytct3

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine broke the day after I got my phone. Disappointing. I glued it back together, but now it doesn't sit flush in the bottom of the phone. Sigh.

Posted via the Android Central App

ashleytct3

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I actually dropped the phone. Even though the pen was all the way in, it popped out and broke at the seam. No damage at all to the phone thought.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.. If it isn't sitting flush, that sounds like it wasn't put back together exactly, that the place where it came apart isn't meeting together like it should.

If that is the case, the good and bad news is that it is likely to come apart again. Hopefully if that happens, it will be while the spen is out of the phone and it happens when you are aware and you don't lose part or part of it gets stuck in the phone. Since doesn't seem to be back together exactly, if I were you, I would buy one of the less expensive replacements and use that. If you can't do that, then when and if it comes apart, very gently scrape and pick off the glue with a thin, sharp knife. I'm assuming you used super glue. If you can get it all off, and not scrape down any of the actual spen, then you can get it back together exactly and it should hold it well.

To glue it back, at minimum, I would use a very thin layer of the gel super glue. Less is really more with applications of super glue. The most important aspect is getting it lined back up perfectly.

The glue that would probably be better, but is more difficult to work with, is Gorilla glue. If you aren't familiar, it takes a light mist of water to activate and it expands almost like a spray foam does. If you use the Gorilla glue, you need a very, very, very, very, very, VERY thin layer and just a tiny, tiny mist of water before putting the two ends together. Even though I've used Gorilla glue a few times, I would still practice first on a couple of plastic pens that I break in half. That will give you an idea of how much it expands and how much to use. The Gorilla glue can be good if a tiny piece chipped off where you are gluing it back or if the ends are no longer exactly perfect to meet together completely. It can fill those tiny areas and make it strong there instead of it being a weak point. You just can't have too much and you will want to make sure that as the glue expands over the few hours it takes to dry, it doesn't push the two pieces apart any and make it longer than it is supposed to be.

remarsh2003

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine broke as well. I called Samsung and they told me to just send in the pen. They will send me a new once they get it but they said it would be a few weeks before I get the new one..

TV417

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Just put some superglue on it and move on with your day. Everybody is a design engineer all of a sudden. Out of millions of S pens there a handful of broken ones. That is pretty good actually. Hate to see people slam a company and talk trash over trivial stuff. If it bothers you that bad, buy a different phone. It really is that easy.

Wow!! I'm not slamming the company, but I'm disappointed that the SPEN broke and my only option according to Samsung is to send in my PHONE and my Pen!!!! Why do I need to send in my phone when it's the pen that is broken in 2!!!
And why are there so many complaints of I breaking?
And WHY are there none in Stock????
It's no big deal to you, but of course yours is not broken!!!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow!! I'm not slamming the company, but I'm disappointed that the SPEN broke and my only option according to Samsung is to send in my PHONE and my Pen!!!! Why do I need to send in my phone when it's the pen that is broken in 2!!!
And why are there so many complaints of I breaking?
And WHY are there none in Stock????
It's no big deal to you, but of course yours is not broken!!!

Call back and get a supervisor about this. I have had to send in an spen on my Note 3 before and I never had to send in my phone.

Make sure the supervisor knows you did not insert your spen backwards and that your broken spen is not stuck inside the spen housing.

You can call back, try one more time for someone that answers the phone to understand your issue. If they say the same, ask for a supervisor. If they still say send your phone in, ask the supervisor why. Then ask them to open a ticket and escalate your issue.

goldenmonkey

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Welp. Half of my pen is stuck in the phone, the other half came out. Pen had zero issues until now, I went to pull it out, and the thing must have snapped or broke while pulling it out. So now half of the pen is in the phone, and the top is on my desk.

Can't just buy a new pen, because the old one is still in there.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Welp. Half of my pen is stuck in the phone, the other half came out. Pen had zero issues until now, I went to pull it out, and the thing must have snapped or broke while pulling it out. So now half of the pen is in the phone, and the top is on my desk.

Can't just buy a new pen, because the old one is still in there.
Oh wow. That's horrible.

TV417

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Call back and get a supervisor about this. I have had to send in an spen on my Note 3 before and I never had to send in my phone.

Make sure the supervisor knows you did not insert your spen backwards and that your broken spen is not stuck inside the spen housing.

You can call back, try one more time for someone that answers the phone to understand your issue. If they say the same, ask for a supervisor. If they still say send your phone in, ask the supervisor why. Then ask them to open a ticket and escalate your issue.

Thank you. I escalated it all the way up to the Supervisor. She gave me 3 options
●Send the phone and pen in and she will send me a loaner, not necessarily a Note 5.
●Go to a Samsung repair shop, there's only 1 in NY
●Wait until they have one in Stock and purchase a replacement.
All great choices!😐😕

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I escalated it all the way up to the Supervisor. She gave me 3 options
●Send the phone and pen in and she will send me a loaner, not necessarily a Note 5.
●Go to a Samsung repair shop, there's only 1 in NY
●Wait until they have one in Stock and purchase a replacement.
All great choices!😐😕

I don't understand why they don't have s-pens in stock. Doesn't make sense to me.

ashleytct3

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I gave up after they told me no. For what these phones cost, the material of the a pen should be a bit sturdier. I'm a bit disappointed at how they are handling this, but not so bad that I will get an iPhone. Lol

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine has a really hard time clicking in and out. Leave it out in the silo. Contacted Samsung Canada. They asked me to send a couple of photos. Had to do the same when my headphones stopped working. Ended up sending me née headphones. Still annoying but at least I'm not required to send my whole phone in.