S Pen broken

chretts

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I hate to be that guy...
I love this phone. Hands down the best I've ever owned.
I was entering some calendar events and the S Pen broke...the same way a crappy regular pen does.
Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 366

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Man, glue that thing back on....! or drop 37.00 bucks for a new one at Amazon.com

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Others' pens have broken too. I wouldn't glue it; I would complain to Samsung. Of course out of sheer corporate stupidity they'll probably make you send in your entire phone for warranty repair, but at least they'll know they shouldn't have cheaped out on the ONE moving part in this entire $800+ device. I have a feeling they're going to be replacing a lot of these.

I guess you're lucky it broke when it was out of the phone. I'm not sure how you would get it out if that part snapped off inside the phone and all that came out was the clicky end.

Unbelievable that less than 1/4" of plastic and maybe some glue is all that keeps that together right where your hand puts pressure on it, too. The s-pen folks really dropped the ball on this one, IMO. Pen should have been metal, screwed together, and beveled at the edge.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Others' pens have broken too. I wouldn't glue it; I would complain to Samsung. Of course out of sheer corporate stupidity they'll probably make you send in your entire phone for warranty repair, but at least they'll know they shouldn't have cheaped out on the ONE moving part in this entire $800+ device. I have a feeling they're going to be replacing a lot of these.

I guess you're lucky it broke when it was out of the phone. I'm not sure how you would get it out if that part snapped off inside the phone and all that came out was the clicky end.

Unbelievable that less than 1/4" of plastic and maybe some glue is all that keeps that together right where your hand puts pressure on it, too. The s-pen folks really dropped the ball on this one, IMO. Pen should have been metal, screwed together, and beveled at the edge.

I agree, there is a lack of durable materials used to make this new S Pen, but the amount of time and stress to get them (samsung) to replace it, I'd just fix it or get a new one and call it a day...they won't do a mass recall and send us all metal S Pens, so press the easy button and just fix or replace it

chretts

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking you may be right. I'm sure a little gorilla glue is the answer. I just don't like having to repair a part of my $800 electronics after 3 weeks of very limited use.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Idk about glue.... I notice that when I pull the spen out it's sometimes slightly warm from being inside the phone and who knows if the glue would melt or cause some bigger issue from being so close to the internal parts of the phone. That's just my take on it.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Glue is temporary, I would order a new one right away, but I can't live without my S pen so I'd be gluing it til the new one comes

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Drill, countersink, eyeglass type set-screw, plus superglue. Should be pretty indestructible then, until the click part breaks, at least.

chretts

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
OK I gorilla glued it. Of course the gorilla glue worked just fine and it's super tight now. But beware I suppose...if it broke like that in the phone you may be SOL.

barry99705

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I super glued mine. Still have a piece of string wound around the clicky part. It doesn't click if it's in the pen well. So I keep it extended all the time.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
"glue this, glue that, tie a string around..."

This is ridiculous! For a device that costs $600-$900, this type of crap should not be our (the consumer's) problem. We shouldn't need to come up with little half-assed fixes to get our phones to work the way they are intended to. Samsung seriously needs to address this stuff ASAP. There are always some defective phones, but some of these issues seem way too widespread. If it is as widespread as it seems on these forums, it could be grounds for a class action lawsuit. Maybe Samsung should consider a recall on the pens. If it continues, a petition might not be a bad idea either.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

twitch3488

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

This is ridiculous! For a device that costs $600-$900, this type of crap should not be our (the consumer's) problem. We shouldn't need to come up with little half-assed fixes to get our phones to work the way they are intended to. Samsung seriously needs to address this stuff ASAP. There are always some defective phones, but some of these issues seem way too widespread. If it is as widespread as it seems on these forums, it could be grounds for a class action lawsuit. Maybe Samsung should consider a recall on the pens. If it continues, a petition might not be a bad idea either.

#clickgate

Sent from my SM-T800 using Android Central

barry99705

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

They will, you just have to send in the whole damn phone.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Good luck, I'll just buy a new one, not that big a deal, petitions and recalls....pssssh meanwhile I have no S pen, no thanks...fix for now replace when necessary....or maybe Samsung will redesign the S pen without the click out button and send it to all of us free of charge..dream on

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

In this forum you are getting a concentrated group talking about specific issues. This is not a widespread issue and certainly not one would call for a class action lawsuit. There are OEM S pens available on Amazon. Samsung says they will be available through them in a couple of weeks. Relax. Don't get the retainer money together just yet.

ROCKYLOCO

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Can you explian to me how on amazon and ebay companies have "OEM" spens for sale but samsung the actual manufacturer has none for sale?? Not trying to come off like a **** hole..i just need a explanation...i find it fishy.

And i talked to them yesterday and they have no estimated date of when they will have in stock for sale..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech