02-25-2016 09:27 PM
107 123 ...
tools
    I hate to be that guy...
    I love this phone. Hands down the best I've ever owned.
    I was entering some calendar events and the S Pen broke...the same way a crappy regular pen does.
    Anyone else have this issue?
    Attached Thumbnails S Pen broken-unnamed-1-.jpg  
    09-16-2015 09:52 AM
    Man, glue that thing back on....! or drop 37.00 bucks for a new one at Amazon.com

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-16-2015 09:55 AM
    Others' pens have broken too. I wouldn't glue it; I would complain to Samsung. Of course out of sheer corporate stupidity they'll probably make you send in your entire phone for warranty repair, but at least they'll know they shouldn't have cheaped out on the ONE moving part in this entire $800+ device. I have a feeling they're going to be replacing a lot of these.

I guess you're lucky it broke when it was out of the phone. I'm not sure how you would get it out if that part snapped off inside the phone and all that came out was the clicky end.

Unbelievable that less than 1/4" of plastic and maybe some glue is all that keeps that together right where your hand puts pressure on it, too. The s-pen folks really dropped the ball on this one, IMO. Pen should have been metal, screwed together, and beveled at the edge.
    09-16-2015 10:04 AM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920F N920A N920V N920T N920P Touch Stylus s Pen Gray | eBay
    I hate to be that guy...
    I love this phone. Hands down the best I've ever owned.
    I was entering some calendar events and the S Pen broke...the same way a crappy regular pen does.
    Anyone else have this issue?
    Gabbz Sorenson likes this.
    09-16-2015 10:05 AM
    Others' pens have broken too. I wouldn't glue it; I would complain to Samsung. Of course out of sheer corporate stupidity they'll probably make you send in your entire phone for warranty repair, but at least they'll know they shouldn't have cheaped out on the ONE moving part in this entire $800+ device. I have a feeling they're going to be replacing a lot of these.

I guess you're lucky it broke when it was out of the phone. I'm not sure how you would get it out if that part snapped off inside the phone and all that came out was the clicky end.

Unbelievable that less than 1/4" of plastic and maybe some glue is all that keeps that together right where your hand puts pressure on it, too. The s-pen folks really dropped the ball on this one, IMO. Pen should have been metal, screwed together, and beveled at the edge.
    I agree, there is a lack of durable materials used to make this new S Pen, but the amount of time and stress to get them (samsung) to replace it, I'd just fix it or get a new one and call it a day...they won't do a mass recall and send us all metal S Pens, so press the easy button and just fix or replace it

09-16-2015 10:25 AM
    I'm thinking you may be right. I'm sure a little gorilla glue is the answer. I just don't like having to repair a part of my $800 electronics after 3 weeks of very limited use.
    09-16-2015 10:31 AM
    Idk about glue.... I notice that when I pull the spen out it's sometimes slightly warm from being inside the phone and who knows if the glue would melt or cause some bigger issue from being so close to the internal parts of the phone. That's just my take on it.
    09-16-2015 10:48 AM
    Glue is temporary, I would order a new one right away, but I can't live without my S pen so I'd be gluing it til the new one comes
    Dhanikz likes this.
    09-16-2015 12:45 PM
    Drill, countersink, eyeglass type set-screw, plus superglue. Should be pretty indestructible then, until the click part breaks, at least.
    09-16-2015 04:22 PM
    Wow....I'm really disappointed in the assembly of this pen......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    09-16-2015 06:10 PM
    OK I gorilla glued it. Of course the gorilla glue worked just fine and it's super tight now. But beware I suppose...if it broke like that in the phone you may be SOL.
    09-16-2015 06:33 PM
    I super glued mine. Still have a piece of string wound around the clicky part. It doesn't click if it's in the pen well. So I keep it extended all the time.
    09-16-2015 07:50 PM
    "glue this, glue that, tie a string around..."

This is ridiculous! For a device that costs $600-$900, this type of crap should not be our (the consumer's) problem. We shouldn't need to come up with little half-assed fixes to get our phones to work the way they are intended to. Samsung seriously needs to address this stuff ASAP. There are always some defective phones, but some of these issues seem way too widespread. If it is as widespread as it seems on these forums, it could be grounds for a class action lawsuit. Maybe Samsung should consider a recall on the pens. If it continues, a petition might not be a bad idea either.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-16-2015 10:06 PM

This is ridiculous! For a device that costs $600-$900, this type of crap should not be our (the consumer's) problem. We shouldn't need to come up with little half-assed fixes to get our phones to work the way they are intended to. Samsung seriously needs to address this stuff ASAP. There are always some defective phones, but some of these issues seem way too widespread. If it is as widespread as it seems on these forums, it could be grounds for a class action lawsuit. Maybe Samsung should consider a recall on the pens. If it continues, a petition might not be a bad idea either.

#clickgate

Sent from my SM-T800 using Android Central
    tomishues likes this.
    09-16-2015 10:14 PM

They will, you just have to send in the whole damn phone.
    09-17-2015 06:42 AM

Good luck, I'll just buy a new one, not that big a deal, petitions and recalls....pssssh meanwhile I have no S pen, no thanks...fix for now replace when necessary....or maybe Samsung will redesign the S pen without the click out button and send it to all of us free of charge..dream on
    09-17-2015 07:24 AM

In this forum you are getting a concentrated group talking about specific issues. This is not a widespread issue and certainly not one would call for a class action lawsuit. There are OEM S pens available on Amazon. Samsung says they will be available through them in a couple of weeks. Relax. Don't get the retainer money together just yet.
    Laserbutt likes this.
    09-17-2015 11:52 AM
    I'd try returning it to wherever you bought your phone
    09-17-2015 12:04 PM
    Mine just broke tonight, the exact same way. Unbelievable that the design on these things is so horrible.
    09-17-2015 10:50 PM
    Can you explian to me how on amazon and ebay companies have "OEM" spens for sale but samsung the actual manufacturer has none for sale?? Not trying to come off like a **** hole..i just need a explanation...i find it fishy.

And i talked to them yesterday and they have no estimated date of when they will have in stock for sale..

09-17-2015 11:18 PM
    Mine just broke tonight, the exact same way. Unbelievable that the design on these things is so horrible.
    Before I go buy the note 5, how is this breaking? Is it too much pressure on the pen or just the fact that it's plastic?

Sent from my XT1058 using Android Central
    09-18-2015 06:42 AM
    Before I go buy the note 5, how is this breaking? Is it too much pressure on the pen or just the fact that it's plastic?

Sent from my XT1058 using Android Central
    I believe, at least in my situation, it's because they've used 2 tiny little daps of adhesive to hold the top piece on...if you look at the pictures I posted in the OP that little brown spot is the glue...there is another tiny spot just like that on the other side.
    09-18-2015 09:12 AM

I got off the phone with Samsung. And yes they want me to mail the phone to them. Well that's not gonna happen. Oh she said they didn't have any in "stock"
    So off to Amazon I go.

11-10-2015 09:38 PM
    I don't know if this is a widespread issue. I have yet to see one article written about it.
    Laserbutt likes this.
    11-10-2015 11:28 PM
    Happened to me also. Super glue worked like a charm. It's really tough now and looks brand new

11-10-2015 11:45 PM
107 123 ...