09-20-2015 09:23 PM
26 12
tools
    When Nexus 6 and Android 5.1 was released, there was lot of news around how encrypting the device slowed down the OS and was not fun to use.

Does that still apply with Note 5? I am planning to encrypt but I don't want to end up with slowness/lag in the OS.

Thanks!
    09-16-2015 12:21 PM
    Encryption invariable slows things down (your phone does, after all, have to encrypt/decrypt 'on the fly', and that takes processing power). Now, as to whether or not it's something that would be noticeable, that's entirely up to your perception. I've tried an Encrypted Note 5 and it felt just as snappy, but a coworker said he did notice a difference with an unencrypted one (if I want to use my personal phone for work, IT requires me to use encryption, that's why we tried it).
    09-16-2015 12:51 PM
    I encrypted mine. Didn't notice any difference

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    James8561 and marcclarke like this.
    09-16-2015 02:48 PM
    I encrypted mine. Didn't notice any difference

Same for me

Posted via the Android Central App
    marcclarke likes this.
    09-16-2015 06:51 PM
    Same for me

How long did it take to encrypt?
    09-16-2015 09:07 PM
    I'm thinking of encrypting mine, but I have a question: Once it is encrypted, do you have to enter the decrypt password after screen look, or only after the device reboots?

09-16-2015 10:59 PM
    I'm thinking of encrypting mine, but I have a question: Once it is encrypted, do you have to enter the decrypt password after screen look, or only after the device reboots?

lock* not look

09-16-2015 11:00 PM
    lock* not look

If you encrypt, then for every reboot you will have to enter the password.

09-16-2015 11:32 PM
    It only take about 7 minutes to encrypt my 76% full 32 GB, not counting boot time
    09-16-2015 11:42 PM

thanks Tintin

Then after that, it's business as usual, with (in my case) fingerprint only needed after a screen lock? That's pretty un-intrusive.... I like it.
    09-17-2015 08:54 AM
    thanks Tintin

Then after that, it's business as usual, with (in my case) fingerprint only needed after a screen lock? That's pretty un-intrusive.... I like it.
    Correct.

dafuse likes this.
    09-17-2015 09:51 AM

Originally it did ask4,but after a while it stopped asking, same as on my s6e

dafuse likes this.
    09-17-2015 09:52 AM
    What about decrypting the phone? Would it delete all contents of the phone if I choose to decrypt?
    09-17-2015 12:06 PM
    What about decrypting the phone? Would it delete all contents of the phone if I choose to decrypt?
    Yep. Both for encryption and decryption, it will be a factory reset.

SpookDroid and marcclarke like this.
    09-17-2015 12:58 PM

Not sure about decryption, but encryption doesn't require a factory data reset.

09-17-2015 05:35 PM
    How much does it affect battery life?

Sent from my smexy T-Mobile Note 5
    09-18-2015 02:24 AM
    I am interested in effect on battery life as well. I have to encrypt my device to use it with my company email if I want it on there.

Also one other thing: If the device is encrypted, can I still use trusted devices to unlock the phone? Like when I am connected to my wifi at home, I have that identified as a trusted device to I don't have to use my fingerprint to unlock my phone at home.
    09-18-2015 11:03 AM

If it is like the Note 3 and Note 4 neither encryption or decryption will alter your apps or data nor require a factory reset. Though I would suggest a Cache Wipe and reboot.
    marcclarke likes this.
    09-18-2015 11:13 AM
    How much does it affect battery life?

Sent from my smexy T-Mobile Note 5
    Battery life is about the same.

marcclarke likes this.
    09-18-2015 11:27 AM
    I am interested in effect on battery life as well. I have to encrypt my device to use it with my company email if I want it on there.

Also one other thing: If the device is encrypted, can I still use trusted devices to unlock the phone? Like when I am connected to my wifi at home, I have that identified as a trusted device to I don't have to use my fingerprint to unlock my phone at home.
    I am not encrypted, and I can't use the trusted device feature now. That's because my company's security policy prevents it. So I think the answer is independent of encryption, but rather dependent on the policy your company will push to your phone in order to get email.
    09-18-2015 12:37 PM
    I was afraid of that dafuse....my prior phone (HTC M8) was fine with a trusted device (ASUS Zenwatch) for unlocking while encrypted. This go-around with the Note 5, they must have seen the 'error' in their ways and adjusted policies....the Smart Locks are not working. I was hoping it was just me...but I dont think so now after 5 days of trying and disabling, reconnecting, resetting watch, etc....makes too much sense.
    09-18-2015 06:41 PM
    I was afraid of that dafuse....my prior phone (HTC M8) was fine with a trusted device (ASUS Zenwatch) for unlocking while encrypted. This go-around with the Note 5, they must have seen the 'error' in their ways and adjusted policies....the Smart Locks are not working. I was hoping it was just me...but I dont think so now after 5 days of trying and disabling, reconnecting, resetting watch, etc....makes too much sense.
    There is a way I have discovered to get around this. You can set up a Knox container and set up your work email within that container. That way, your work email has no effect on your personal phone section. You will be able to use trusted devices again to unlock the phone.

The one problem with setting up Knox that I have found is that it disables USB debugging. I can't use Helium for backups. Sigh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    09-18-2015 10:07 PM
    For those of you who have encrypted your Note 5, is there the option to un-encrypt it ?
    09-20-2015 10:28 AM
    I'm not sure I understand the benefit of encryption. If you can see the data after a fingerprint unlock, won't you see the data whether it's encrypted or not? Wouldn't that be true for a pin or password screenlock? If you can remote wipe anyway, isn't that a better option? I'm sure there is a reason to do it or it wouldn't exist. But is it overkill?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    09-20-2015 01:31 PM
    If someone pulled the sim out immediately after stealing the phone and before you sent the remote wipe signal...

09-20-2015 04:58 PM
26 12