Used Samsung Pay, almost got arrested

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Walked into Taco Bell today for a snack. I checked out the register just to see what kind of card reader they used. I rarely use credit cards for anything, but I have been using Samsung Pay during the beta. I'm hoping debit cards can be used, so I thought I'd try it out. Anyway....made my order. bill was $7...I waved my phone at the nice lady and she said, oh no sir, that will not work. I said, can I try....she said...go ahead sir, know your socks off. I did the stuff and the first pass there was no reaction...she said..told you....then the register blinked and beeped as it registered the transaction. The girl screamed ...Oh My God....you should see what he did !!!! I take a couple of steps back and hold up my hands...Look !! He did it !! It worked!! She was really carrying on...ALL the employees came running to the counter to 'see what I did'....1 young man, holding a knife said....'what you do'...Paid my bill....Then, and ONLY then, after everyone was there and I was fearing for my life, did she say...he paid his bill with his phone.. The manager said, you know Apple Pay doesn't work here. I know I replied and if I had an Apple Pay device I would not have tried. So how did you pay with out an Apple....I was scratching my head at this point wondering how this guy was in charge of stuff....I explained, this is Samsung Pay...it read the scanner differently...will work almost everywhere. He asks..where won't it work....my order was ready and I was hungry...but I told him ....it won't work in any place that absolutely requires a card insertion....Oh really.....

I left, but kept under the speed limit the entire way home....just in case.

And that's how Samsung Pay also cost me my life......

PS

dems1986

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow, that's an awesome story...I can't stop giggling to myself, lol

I wouldn't be surprised if a few more people have a similar type of experience...I think a lot of people who aren't tech savvy just aren't going to understand how that's possible without the physical card swipe. (at places that aren't technically set up for mobile pay that is)

HE'S A WITCH...BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Lol.............Now, that's a story. Still annoys the heck outta me when I just about every day have to tell cashiers that this is not an iPhone nor is it Apple pay. Really grinds my gears!! Oh, and I love Taco Bell, so you know I'm gonna try it tomorrow. :)

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Lol, everytime I've used Google Wallet in the past people would ask if I was using an iPhone before apple pay ever even came out. Lol

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I know I am going to have to get used to that, but I kind of already am. I have a Moto 360 (until I upgrade to the Gear S2) and pretty much everyone who notices it asks the same exact question: "Oooh, is that the Apple Watch?" No, no it is not......
Only 3 people have actually recognized it as a Moto 360......2 had Moto 360's of their own, and the other guy actually had an Apple watch....

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That's a nice story.....lol. I wish I could surprise some people. Unfortunately, where I live they just yawn. No one cares. If they ask about it, they ask in reference to pay security n' protection. Unless there's a huge tragedy, it's not a big deal here. :-\

EDITED UPDATE:

Man!.....today I went to a new sub place that just opened this week. I purchase two subs and when I went to pay for them, the young lady said; Oh! We don't do that here, I don't think our pay system is up-to-date. She asked her boss and he said; No...it won't work. That's Apple Pay right? I said, "no it's not it's something different, It should work." I was patient and sure enough...."BEEP".... the receipt shot out instantly. The young lady said, Wow! I guess you taught me something. I learned something new. here's your subs sir. Wow, I was wrong, you taught me something today. I said, thank you have a nice day. I may not have almost been arrested, but I liked the doubt from the lady. That was interesting. I look forward to surprising more people....lol.

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
WOW...its funny how people react to these things!
I was also doubted at the grocery store...clerk told me it wouldnt work, but I did it and he was so shocked haha!

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
how long before they put samsung pay stickers like they have apple pay... bet never... man im so damn tired of seeing apple this and apple that. iphones are over rated.

everyone always looks at my phone like wow thats really nice is it an iphone... i try to hide my murderous look lol.. "no ma'am its not an iphone"
but inmy head im like [language removed] no its not a GD iphone. GTFO." hahah jp.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
how long before they put samsung pay stickers like they have apple pay... bet never... man im so damn tired of seeing apple this and apple that. iphones are over rated.

everyone always looks at my phone like wow thats really nice is it an iphone... i try to hide my murderous look lol.. "no ma'am its not an iphone"
but inmy head im like [language removed] no its not a GD iphone. GTFO." hahah jp.

LMAO!!! That's exactly how I feel..........

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Walked into Taco Bell today for a snack. I checked out the register just to see what kind of card reader they used. I rarely use credit cards for anything, but I have been using Samsung Pay during the beta. I'm hoping debit cards can be used, so I thought I'd try it out. Anyway....made my order. bill was $7...I waved my phone at the nice lady and she said, oh no sir, that will not work. I said, can I try....she said...go ahead sir, know your socks off. I did the stuff and the first pass there was no reaction...she said..told you....then the register blinked and beeped as it registered the transaction. The girl screamed ...Oh My God....you should see what he did !!!! I take a couple of steps back and hold up my hands...Look !! He did it !! It worked!! She was really carrying on...ALL the employees came running to the counter to 'see what I did'....1 young man, holding a knife said....'what you do'...Paid my bill....Then, and ONLY then, after everyone was there and I was fearing for my life, did she say...he paid his bill with his phone.. The manager said, you know Apple Pay doesn't work here. I know I replied and if I had an Apple Pay device I would not have tried. So how did you pay with out an Apple....I was scratching my head at this point wondering how this guy was in charge of stuff....I explained, this is Samsung Pay...it read the scanner differently...will work almost everywhere. He asks..where won't it work....my order was ready and I was hungry...but I told him ....it won't work in any place that absolutely requires a card insertion....Oh really.....

I left, but kept under the speed limit the entire way home....just in case.

And that's how Samsung Pay also cost me my life......

PS

Were the cops called at anytime? Or did they even threaten to call the cops?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Gdefender

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm enjoying people reactions to Samsung Pay too. The girl at the gas station yelled out, "What'd you just do? That was awesome." I could hear her carrying on about it to the other workers as I walked out of the store.

I had another experience at the hardware store. When I took out my phone the guy was like, "No we don't... Oh!" The transaction had gone through before he could finish his sentence. The only glitch I ran into was that the hardware store register required the clerk to enter the last 4-digits of my card. I had to click around in Samsung pay until I found the last 4-digits of my digital card. I found the digits and the transaction went through.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The only glitch I ran into was that the hardware store register required the clerk to enter the last 4-digits of my card. I had to click around in Samsung pay until I found the last 4-digits of my digital card. I found the digits and the transaction went through.

There was an update yesterday and it seems that they took care of that by showing the last 4 digits of your virtual number besides the real one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney