Help with Data Usage and Battery Life

NatalieB2015

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,
First, the data question:
I am new to the Note 5. Day 17 to be exact. I am on the AT&T plan (long story short) I was "accidentally" moved off the unlimited plan I've had for years to a 3GB plan. AT&T is resolving this issue but it has made me aware of the data usage on the Note 5.

I moved from the iPhone 5S. For years, my monthly average data usage was quite low, maybe (big Maybe) 4GB in a month if I streamed videos. I have had this phone since 9/4 and I am already over 4GB. The only thing that has changed is we no longer have wifi in our home so instead of using my iPad at night I am using my phone, but even that usage is limited to simply reading email and facebook. Maybe looking through Pinterest.

I do not play any games and have not streamed any videos. Not even short youtube clips. I have used the phone strictly for email, facebook, text messaging, streaming music (20 minutes / day while I drive, benign Internet activity that I have always done. I have had to download apps but I downloaded apps with the iPhone all the time. The only config difference between the iPhone and Note 5 that I see today would be Facebook notifications. Facebook did not provide any banners or notifications on my app icon or on the locked screen.

Does the Note 5 date/weather widget use a lot of data? What about the pull down notification screen? I am guessing that the notifications indicate background data usage and if I turn them off I can reduce the amount of data I am using. Is this assumption true? << HOW do I turn these notifications off? >>

Lastly, any tricks I can take to reduce data usage?

Battery Life:

I've read all the threads about how the Note 5 battery is either a love or a hate relationship. I don't want to start that debate, but I do feel that I drain the battery much faster than I did with the iPhone 5S. I charged overnight, took the phone off the charger at 6am, have done minimal phone use since then (checked email, responded to 3 text messages, read notifications, scrolled facebook) and at 8am I am already below 80 percent.

I am sure I have a setting or two that is creating this drain. Can you please describe some tricks I would use to reduce the battery drain? I do not have any fancy smansy themes; just the standard default.

Can you give me the steps I would take to reduce battery drain if I do have settings causing this problem?

Thank you!
Natalie

NatalieB2015

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
thanks, I did find that thread and a few others by searching in Google rather than the forum search. I have started to turn off the location services and notifications for many apps. Target's shopping app is a BATTERY HOG! I couldn't reduce the battery usage so I deleted the app entirely. I'll use the website if I need Target merchandise. I also found a thread to change my weather widget from "follow me" to the specific cities I am interested in.

I am learning quickly that the Note 5 is much more sophisticated than the iPhone where settings and alerts are concerned. I had made very few customized settings in the iPhone as was very happy. The Note 5 is making me work and think, that is for sure!

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
thanks, I did find that thread and a few others by searching in Google rather than the forum search. I have started to turn off the location services and notifications for many apps. Target's shopping app is a BATTERY HOG! I couldn't reduce the battery usage so I deleted the app entirely. I'll use the website if I need Target merchandise. I also found a thread to change my weather widget from "follow me" to the specific cities I am interested in.

I am learning quickly that the Note 5 is much more sophisticated than the iPhone where settings and alerts are concerned. I had made very few customized settings in the iPhone as was very happy. The Note 5 is making me work and think, that is for sure!

Also if you use Facebook and Instagram apps, they are heavy battery users. Not saying you should uninstall them, but just know they are draining battery.