I'm close to making the jump -- need the extra push!

Glap86

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I've been with Apple and the iPhone since the original. I currently have the iPhone 6. I'm on Verizon.

[waits for boos to die down]

Recently, however, I've started my own business (law firm). I'm looking for a more "professional" oriented device. The other day my girlfriend asked me what I thought about the iPad Pro. I said if I were a creative professional, maybe, but for more traditional business, I would shoot myself if I had to do anything serious on iOS. That got me thinking about all of my devices.

I work on Windows 10; I recently purchased a Windows laptop and I have my eyes peeled for the Surface Pro 4 announcement. I'm gearing more and more of my devices toward work and play, rather than just play. I have no desire to buy a Windows phone however. I toyed with the idea of adding a second line with the Note 5 strictly for business, but then I'd be that guy with two phones.

The Note 5 seems to be a fantastic business phone from what I've read, and I'm thinking of taking the plunge. I love the SideSync feature, which seems underrated, at least on paper. Not having to look away from my computer to take or make a call is great, especially if I'm in the middle of writing something.

I've always had a couple of with the Android eco-system that has kept me from taking the plunge previously:

1. The "scattered" update schedules. Some devices ship with one version, others with a different version, some get upgrades quickly, some never do. That bothers me, especially as someone prone to "latest and greatest" envy. Has this been addressed at all? Is it possible to get updates on your device before they're officially released by carriers (torrents, etc)?

2. App disparity. However, I know there is almost no difference these days, so this concern is not really one.

So my primary concern is with 1.

I would also like to hear from anyone else who has made the switch from iPhone to the Note 5, and their experiences, especially when it comes to business.

Thanks for humoring me!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and soon Android.

In regard to updates, here is roughly how it goes:

1. Google releases Android version 6.0 (Newest one called Marshmallow).
2. Samsung accepts the update, then modifies it to their liking. Since Android is Open Source, they can, the only thing they can't do is alter Google's apps.
3. Samsung tests the update to remove bugs (even though some always slip through)
4. Samsung releases their Android OS update to your carrier.
5. Your carrier then accepts the update and makes changes.
6. Your carrier tests for bugs (again some still slip by)
7. Your carrier then releases the update.

It does seem rather drawn out. Samsung is pretty good about keeping the flagships somewhat updated for at least a year, if not two. But they are usually always behind by at least one major version of Android.

The best way to look at it is, with the N5, you will get at least one update. That is better than a majority of other devices out there, even a lot of Samsung's lower end devices.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have never used an Apple product. But I am an intellectual property attorney who has used and uses the Note 3, Note 4, and Note 5. What the Note series gives you is a professional grade device designed for work, be it commercial, industrial, or artistic. It provides you with a specialized stylus (S Pen) integrated with the Samsung TouchWiz interface and special apps that allow you to do many operations with the S pen that speeds up your work. Quite simply there is no other smartphone that can compare because non of the others have the S pen functionality at hardware and software levels.
I have found the Note series and especially the new Note 5 to be such an efficient workhorse that I gave away my Note 8. Additionally, my Note Pro 12.2 is now only a travel work backup as is my laptop for when I need to do major document drafting projects..
My suggestion is to get the phone, work it hard for a week and if it isn't your thing, return it to Verizon for the $35.00 restock fee.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Another aspect that bogs down the release of updates is with your carrier. I believe Verizon to be the slowest of all carriers at rolling out updates and new software such as samsung pay which is not even going to be offered by verizon.

I also do no understand why everyone has to have the latest version of the OS if the version that you have is stable. If it works great on the current version and is stable is what I care about. I have added a launcher instead of touchwiz and no one looking at my phone can tell what version of Android I am using.

The.note series of phones and tablets are great and the note 5 goes beyond anything that I have seen on the competition.

I was using lecturenotes and it is an outstanding app especially when you combine it with lecture recordings, but I have recently made the switch to MS Onenote for compatibility. I use ink with the stylus to take notes in meetings (not an attorney) then I can go and open up those notes on my windows 10 computer.

It is just a great all the way around.

Then if you want to go even further with these phones, check out an app named tasker and a plugin for it named autovoice. You can do some amazing things with these phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I used to worry about getting updates to the os all the time, then one day I woke up and just started enjoying my phone.

The Note 5 is a awesome phone that you can use for business or pleasure.

Your carrier is another matter all together.

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig black Galaxy Note 5

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been a big fan of the iPhone in the past but when Samsung came out with the Note series, I took the chance and jumped over and haven't looked back or regretted the move.
As a working professional that needs to access all kinds of files and have to flexibility to manipulate them as needed, the Note series can't be beat.

Try it, you will be happy that you did and realize how much more freedom you have.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
1. The "scattered" update schedules.

Surrender Dorothy. Samsung's track record on updates is pretty pitiful. They've gotten better internationally but if you have a carrier phone, especially VZW, updates will be few and far between. And when you do get them it'll be months after something like 6.X has started hitting international devices. Apple controls their ecosystem. Samsung and in your case VZW will control yours.

2. App disparity. However, I know there is almost no difference these days, so this concern is not really one.

If you devote the time to learn its features the Note-series is a business person's dream. I religiously use S Pen, S Note, SideSync, SamsungLink, Remote PC, Scrapbook, Action Memo, Multi View and find their stock e-mail client (connected to Exchange and GMail for Business) to be clean, effective, and efficient. Get a Gear S or S2 and you can do almost everything you need from your wrist and fly your geek flag high to your Apple Watch toting friends.

I've had 7 Note-series products (you'll pry my Note 12 out of my cold dead hands) since 2012 and can't imagine switching OS's or using traditional Android products. But, what you get out of the Note-series depends on how much you invest in learning and adopting to their capabilities. They aren't devices for those with ADD; especially upon initial use.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Updates aren't that big a deal as far as functionality goes. In fact some people try to figure out how NOT to get updates to avoid bugs that sometime come with updates.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Do it. For business nothing better. The S pen alone will make you fall in love. Especially being an attorney and needing to note everything, hours, etc...

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I too came from iOS, so I won't extend the least disrespect...but I've never been happier with both the Note and Android...really than, pretty much anything in my life. LOL What can I say, my life is pretty dull.

1) I'm on Verizon too, and while it can be frustrating to be late for the newest new thing, I stopped caring, and just took pleasure in having this awesome phone. I was never aware of missing anything truly important or that I really really wanted.

The way I fix the "latest and greatest" envy -- which I have too -- is by adding some new apps. LOL Something that makes my phone FEEL newer.

2) App disparity is almost nonexistent, EXCEPT for games. No doubt that iOS has a few cool games that are missing from Android, but all the biggies (Angry Birds, Sim City, etc) are on Android too.

You know what's cool, though? There are a BUNCH of apps on Android that don't exist on iOS! A BUNCH of them. This is a whole 'nother conversation, but there's a long list of things I use pretty much every day that turns iOS users' heads every time they see 'em. Some of it is simple stuff, like launchers and icon packs that allow super-easy customizations. Every iOS-er I've ever met admits that mine looks pretty dang elegant.

(Truth be told, I'm not too fond of the stock Touchwiz interface or Android icons, but it's all so incredibly easy to change. Swing by the "Show Us Your Homescreen" thread to get some ideas -- way, way beyond swapping your wallpapers. And look into Live Wallpapers too.)

Do some searches for best Android productivity apps, and you'll get some great ideas. Here's one from IT Pro and another from InfoWorld to get you started.

The one tip that I'll add is something that most iOS-ers would never think to look into, because they don't exist in iOS: widgets. Widgets are basically apps that stay open on your home screen(s). This may not sound like a huge deal, but you'll find yourself saving tons of time when you can track important information and updates at a glance, instead of opening apps and trying to sort through windows to find the one you're looking for. You may well find that widgets, even more than the S Pen, are the productivity tools that set your Android experience apart.

And yeah, the Note looks fantastic.

lidspinner

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I was a lifer on the iPhone.... Loved them. Still do actually... I phones are very good and a phone that I'll more than likely go back to when I retire and don't need a business phone. Apple has their stuff together and it's geared more towards the personal user and there is nothing wrong with that. It's the demographic they are after and in my opinion they own that demo..

As for business, I switched to note 4 and now have the note 5....there is nothing better in my opinion than the note series of phones for business. I can carry files with me, I can edit them when I have down time at the airport or anywhere really. I use the spen almost as much as I open my phone. It truly is a work of art and a perk that I cannot live without. I see the new iPad is going to carry a pencil as they call it so I'm sure it won't be long before the iPhone series of phones will be having a "pencil" installed on the iPhone. I think apple has seen how useful the s pen truly is.

You won't be disappointed if you go with the note5....however, it will take you a few weeks to get it figured out. My 1st few days to a week I was ready to hand it back in but I stuck it out and I am glad I did.

Notes and I phones are both great phones with awesome features and anyone who beats the other one down is a fan boy.... It's truly about what you want and what you need.... I phones are geared towards ease of use and personal use such as surfing the net and texting and sending photos and texts and snapchats and such, using instagram and Facebook and things like that are awesome on the iPhone.

The note does those things very well also but the note is geared more for the working individual who needs his/her phone all day every day for all the aforementioned items above plus business needs. .

Glap86

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Took the plunge. Playing around with it today. Can't get SideSync to install on my PC though -- keeps crashing on install.

Loving the size and screen quality so far.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been with Apple and the iPhone since the original. I currently have the iPhone 6. I'm on Verizon.

[waits for boos to die down]

Recently, however, I've started my own business (law firm). I'm looking for a more "professional" oriented device. The other day my girlfriend asked me what I thought about the iPad Pro. I said if I were a creative professional, maybe, but for more traditional business, I would shoot myself if I had to do anything serious on iOS. That got me thinking about all of my devices.

I work on Windows 10; I recently purchased a Windows laptop and I have my eyes peeled for the Surface Pro 4 announcement. I'm gearing more and more of my devices toward work and play, rather than just play. I have no desire to buy a Windows phone however. I toyed with the idea of adding a second line with the Note 5 strictly for business, but then I'd be that guy with two phones.

The Note 5 seems to be a fantastic business phone from what I've read, and I'm thinking of taking the plunge. I love the SideSync feature, which seems underrated, at least on paper. Not having to look away from my computer to take or make a call is great, especially if I'm in the middle of writing something.

I've always had a couple of with the Android eco-system that has kept me from taking the plunge previously:

1. The "scattered" update schedules. Some devices ship with one version, others with a different version, some get upgrades quickly, some never do. That bothers me, especially as someone prone to "latest and greatest" envy. Has this been addressed at all? Is it possible to get updates on your device before they're officially released by carriers (torrents, etc)?

So my primary concern is with 1.

I would also like to hear from anyone else who has made the switch from iPhone to the Note 5, and their experiences, especially when it comes to business.

Thanks for humoring me!

That's funny, I carry 2 phones and the iphone I use for business and Note 5 for play.

As far as updates, expect them about 4 months after google ships their version, and only the major ones, don't expect a .01 update or anything. The only way to get them sooner would be to get an unlocked model directly from samsung, but even then it'll be a couple of months after google releases it. And if you expect to hang on the phone for a couple of years, any update you get after one year consider a bonus. Also, don't expect any updates to touchwiz, just the underlying android version.

Yeah, the update situation isn't pretty, but other than that the Note 5 is a fantastic phone, really love mine. But if updates are that important, then apple or a nexus would be your best bet.

Mind if I ask why the iphone isn't "professional"?

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Took the plunge. Playing around with it today. Can't get SideSync to install on my PC though -- keeps crashing on install.

Loving the size and screen quality so far.

Congrats. Give it time. New world of customization. I'm sure there are law apps in play store. Just search the categories

Work with S Note. Can see a huge benefit for you with that. I'm on financial and we have to take notes like you. Very handy.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Welcome aboard. Regarding your original concerns...

The N5 is so far ahead of the pack, there's nothing like it on the market. It's the perfect professional and artistic tool - I use it for both. Hey, Apple is currently convincing the American public that they just invented the "Stylus". They continue to chase tail lights on this front.

For me, being focused on always having the latest update is like being so 2010. Updates these days are mostly incremental and I don't see them as critical to accomplishing my tasks, at all. I love the material design of Lollipop, but was I so unproductive on KitKat? Don't think so.

So go get one and move forward.
Have fun too!

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Again, You have to remember that the design point of the iPhone is a consumption device meant to do one thing at a time. Android design point is a multitasking productivity environment

All Samsung has to do is have a Pro version of the Note series with SD card slot and swappable battery and IR blaster. Paying the same price for fewer features just doesn't make sense.*

The plastic back is durable, easy to manufacture and looks good enough and when it's in a case looks the same as everyone else's. The only people who care about style over function are high school girls and some tech journalist.

sprungson

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have switched twice. .. I even gave up my apple watch apple music and disabled my imessage on my mac which was all really hard to do. .... as soon as the note was in my hand I kicked myself for waiting so long. ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21