For those that upgraded from Note 4 to Note 5 - Is it worth it?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, my experience has been different than most. Indeed my former Note 5 ran smoother than my Note 4, perhaps it was a newer phone, but when I replaced my old Note 4 with the 5.1.1 build, performance is very similar. If you are a power user like me, and don't want to be tethered, keep your Note 4. There are other missing convenient features in the Note 5, but it all comes down to you. The Note 5 design and build though are awesome, and the display is to die for.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
It is worth it, very worth it, especially after the lollipop update ruined the Note 4, the camera is exceptional compared to the note 4, and the front facing camera is much better as well, battery life is improved, but to be fair the Note 4 battery was great until the lollipop update, the UI is smooth and responsive, no lag, the fingerprint scanner is much, much better. They've decreased the width of the Note5 and the design makes it much easier to hold...you should upgrade, you won't regret it

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes when you upgrade there are things on your last phone you miss that your new phone may not have, yeah, I'm not experiencing that at all. I'd thought I'd miss all the things you're supposed to miss coming from the note 4, and I just don't. Don't get me wrong, I loved the note 4 and it was my baby, but it got a little sour after lollipop, but beyond that, it wasn't nearly as easy to use with one hand as the note 5 is which is a bigger deal than I thought. The upgraded fingerprint reader and double clicking to get into the camera have been my best friends. The fingerprint sensor is almost too accurate 98% of the time, lol. I find myself forgetting it's so good and will accidentally open my phone just be resting one of my registered fingers on the home button with the screen on. It's definitely worth it if you can let go of the three most common gripes coming from the note 4 to note 5.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'd say yes. My battery seems to last quite a bit longer, with the Note 4 when I put it on the charger at night I would be around 20% left, with the Note 5 I'm usually around 43%. The phone does seem snappier but I wonder if that has anything to do with loading lollipop on the Note 4. The best improvement for me is the camera. When I would launch it on the Note 4 I would have to shake the the phone to get it to focus (wide spread problem), with the Note 5 I launch the camera and it locks focus instantly without having the shake the phone. Then only thing I don't like is the lack of an SD slot but I have the 64GB version and taking advantage of free cloud storage for 2 years through OneDrive so it shouldn't be a problem.

eclectic11

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes! and these are my personal reasons why I kept the Note 5 after my test drive. Smaller footprint (i can use this phone with one hand based on how the back is curved without sacrifice of screen size). Barely any side bezel makes the screen look way better despite having same resolution, Faster ( don't care what anyone says it just is), fast camera launch alone won me over, speaker placement, write on screen when phone is off, scroll capture, themes without having to root, no lag without having to root, battery life is better and I no longer have to use power saving mode to get it, standby time is way better, and the camera is better. Built in wireless charging. I could not return it after experiencing all of that. It was worth every penny to me. The phone feels complete now despite the obvious features not being there. I don't care about that anymore and I am completely satisfied. Was going to keep the Note 4 as a back up, but honestly I don't even want to anymore. Gonna sell it. I would also say, as a current user of both a Note 5 and and iPhone 6, if you always wished for and experience in one phone that was kind of like the best of both worlds the Note 5 is it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It's worth it. I upgraded for speed and Samsung Pay. It's also a little more comfortable to hold.

The only con for me is the lack of IR blaster... I actually used it so I miss it.

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Definitely worth the upgrade to me. I left my note 4 for various issues and went to a Nexus 6. The Note 5 is what a Note should be

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
To the OP. If you don't like or can't root and you'd like a good fingerprint sensor along with Samsung Pay then you should go with the Note 5. I don't think you'll regret it unless you enjoy the power of removable batteries or the flexibility of expandable storage or the convenience of the IR blaster.

Note 4 vs Note 5 Speed Comparison: http://youtu.be/MYkTxA7dcEY

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Better battery life, better camera, lighter, thinner. More premium feel. Built in wireless charging. More features with the S pen. Overall I don't miss my Note 4. Get the 64gb version though.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh my - jump with both feet!!!!

My biggest concern was the smaller 3000 mah non-removable battery. The Samsung folks have really optimized this phone. Lasts as long if not longer than my beloved Note 4.

Having said that I also made a conscious decision to moderate my OCD charging habits......I simply charge more frequently, love the sleek fast charging wireless pads, and purchased a incipio fast car charger - the battery has been a non-issue for me.

However I did pick up two external fast charging battery packs - the oh so sleek Samsung 5200 mah in silver and the Aukey 10200 mah fast charger battery.

The speed of the phone is noticeably faster than my Note 4, the double tap access to the camera is a wonderful feature, but, IMHO, the phone's form factor is beyond dreamy - like a velvet jewel in my hand. I could not be happier!!!!

Make the jump !!!!

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh my - jump with both feet!!!!

My biggest concern was the smaller 3000 mah non-removable battery. The Samsung folks have really optimized this phone. Lasts as long if not longer than my beloved Note 4.

Having said that I also made a conscious decision to moderate my OCD charging habits......I simply charge more frequently, love the sleek fast charging wireless pads, and purchased a incipio fast car charger - the battery has been a non-issue for me.

However I did pick up two external fast charging battery packs - the oh so sleek Samsung 5200 mah in silver and the Aukey 10200 mah fast charger battery.

The speed of the phone is noticeably faster than my Note 4, the double tap access to the camera is a wonderful feature, but, IMHO, the phone's form factor is beyond dreamy - like a velvet jewel in my hand. I could not be happier!!!!

Make the jump !!!!

I agree, even though I returned my Note 5, there's no denying that it's one good looking phone. Curious, how are you able to change your battery charging habit? Like just make sure you're charged when sitting next to a wall outlet? With all the extra charging stuff, I think you would be fine. :)

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I just ordered the Note 5.
Should be here before the weekend which will give me time to install all my apps and use it for a bit.
I'll report back and update this thread when I get a chance.

Thanks all for positive responses.

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I have had all 5 notes, and I can say, this is one of, if not the best of the series. I love everything about it. I thought the lack of a removable battery and external memory were going to make me hate it, but this thing is awesome!

work:G.S.6 edge play: G.S. Note 4
Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Galaxy Gear S & Gear 1 (tizen)
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Galaxy Gear Circle & Level speaker box

Jason Carter3

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I do love the fast charge on the Note 5. I was having issues with my battery draining very fast. I was upset that this seemed to be something I would just have to deal with. I gave it some thought. And I found I had 2 apps that drained my battery. Clean sweep and Cm Security. Once deleted, I LOVE my battery. I also had to delete a battery app called Bataria. It was $2.99 and kept your battery from draining. Had 5 stars, 1 million downloads. After deleting that and just using the settings built into the note 5, my battery holds a charge for days with normal use. And normal for me is using my phone 5-15 times a day for 5-15 minutes at a time. And I also have the wireless charger. It doesn't utilize the fast charge, it's a "overnight" charger.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey