Please explain "Restrict Background Data"

NatalieB2015

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, sortof embarrassed to ask what must seem to be a pretty simple question, but what exactly does the Restrict Background Data setting mean?

When I change the setting from Off to On the system displays a popup that makes me rethink my decision. My Note 5 is hardly ever running on wifi so I am not sure what the actual ramifications are in using this setting. Will the app only work on wifi or does it do what I think it means, and restrict the app from receiving notifications unless I ask for them.

Thank you.

alex217c

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I had problems with play store, youtube and google search when i had them turned off. Gave me a 'check your network connection' error frequently when i opened the app. I turned background data back on and haven't had the problem. Doesn't really make sense cause data should be allowed again as soon as i open the app.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Please explain "Restrict Background Data"

You can turn off bgd on individual apps as well. Don't have to do it as all apps. Goto Data Usage, then scroll down to specific app(s).

giftedmd

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Please explain "Restrict Background Data"

You can turn off bgd on individual apps as well. Don't have to do it as all apps. Goto Data Usage, then scroll down to specific app(s).
This. I do this for most apps unless I need them to sync in background. A lot of apps run and access background data unnecessarily. It does a lot for battery life in my experience.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781