I have until Sept 25 to decide if I'm keeping the Note 5...

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
September 25 is keep or return deadline for my AT&T Note 5. I own the iPhone 6+ and I have been trying out the Note 5. I am not new to Android at all. I enjoy both operating systems, they both have their strengths and weaknesses without a doubt. Like many of us here, 99.9% of our friends and family use iPhones so the disconnect is fairly large with them in terms of FaceTime and iMessage. Nearly everyone I have sent a text to from the Note 5 immediately mentioned "Whats wrong with your iPhone or mine?? iMessage is not working", and most of them have not texted me back or as often because I'm not using iMessage, personally I HATE iMessage because it seldom worked and sent as a regular SMS or when sending even simple text it took FOREVER to send, however it does send videos you can actually see which is great.

On to my office uses. I use Mac's exclusively in my office. I guess the only real thing I miss out on by using Android is Photo Stream. If I keep the Note 5 it looks like Google Photos is my go to picture keeper. I do have a Dropbox account but despise the link thing just to share a pic.

I just don't know yet which one will win.....

So far these are my likes/dislikes on the Note 5 in no particular order.

Like:

1. Display
2. S-Pen
3. Size, smaller than iPhone 6+
4. Build quality
5. Speed
6. Camera. Wow!!
7. Fast charging
8. Launching Google Maps direct from a contacts name. Apple Maps launches from contacts name which we all know will send me in the wrong direction LOL.

Dislikes:

1. NFC keeps turning on by itself.
2. Cannot remove com.facebook.appmanager & com.facebook.system
3. AT&T song jingle when powering on, wakes up the whole house.
4. New notifications will not light up the display briefly to view what arrived, must press home button to view.
5. Sending a video via MMS is so compressed it is unwatchable. iMessage wins big here.
6. Cannot move app drawer icon from lower right corner of home screen, I don't want to install separate launcher just to move it.
7. Clock icon on home screen is either not functioning or very poorly designed. It should constantly be running but it only refreshes when the screen initial comes on. Would be nice to see the second hand actually moving.
8. Unable to save all Touchwiz/Note 5 settings and individual app settings just in case I have to do a factory reset. It took me days to get this Note 5 set up and tweaked to my exact liking...If I have to reset the Note 5 it is back to setting up from scratch all over again. iPhone wins big here.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Anything that starts with a small "i" ain't gonna work. From your use case you're better off with the iPhone. A lot of my friends and family use iPhones/Pads and based on how deep they're embedded in Apple's ecosystem and how little interest they have in technology it's where they belong.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm still loving my Note 5, but I'll try to 'help' with some of your dislikes:

1) You either have an NFC app that auto-enables it or it is, indeed, a bug. Mine doesn't do it, but I'm using a T-Mobile unit. If you've tried factory resetting the phone and the bug is still there, I'd report it to AT&T.
2) Facebook is one of those 'system' apps that cannot be uninstalled, only disabled. Unless you root, you can just force it into exile but not banish it from your phone.
3) Again, not sure if this'll work as I don't have an AT&T unit, but in mine if I set the phone to vibrate/silent before shutting off, the jingle doesn't come up when turning on.
4) And that might be a good thing! Battery wise, at least. Only some apps (Messaging I think does that, and most of us use a 3rd party app just to get rid of it). You can activate the Gesture Wake Up in Accessibility and avoid having to press the home button when you get a notification; just swipe your hand over the phone. Third party notification apps might also have a similar behavior.
5)iMessage is not MMS. That's just a limitation of MMS. iMessage should only be compared to other instant messaging apps like Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, Whatsapp, Kik, etc. Yes, Apple did a good thing with iMessage but bad at having iUsers discern from regular texting VS iMessaging (which attests to how well they integrated that into their messaging system. I can only hope Android had a similar experience).
6) No choice here, really. 3rd party launcher.
7) Not sure which widget you're using, but you can also find tons of other widgets for that on the Play Store. (My stock clock widgets don't have an analog option, so might be a custom AT&T one)
8) Yes... and no. You can use Kies to do a similar thing to iPhone and most settings are backed up to both your Samsung and your Google account should you choose to (even WiFi passwords and stuff). But yes, iPhone does have a big advantage over Android on this regard, no denying it. You can also back things up with 3rd party apps, but some require root.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
September 25 is keep or return deadline for my AT&T Note 5. I own the iPhone 6+ and I have been trying out the Note 5. I am not new to Android at all. I enjoy both operating systems, they both have their strengths and weaknesses without a doubt. Like many of us here, 99.9% of our friends and family use iPhones so the disconnect is fairly large with them in terms of FaceTime and iMessage. Nearly everyone I have sent a text to from the Note 5 immediately mentioned "Whats wrong with your iPhone or mine?? iMessage is not working", and most of them have not texted me back or as often because I'm not using iMessage, personally I HATE iMessage because it seldom worked and sent as a regular SMS or when sending even simple text it took FOREVER to send, however it does send videos you can actually see which is great.

On to my office uses. I use Mac's exclusively in my office. I guess the only real thing I miss out on by using Android is Photo Stream. If I keep the Note 5 it looks like Google Photos is my go to picture keeper. I do have a Dropbox account but despise the link thing just to share a pic.

I just don't know yet which one will win.....

So far these are my likes/dislikes on the Note 5 in no particular order.

Like:

1. Display
2. S-Pen
3. Size, smaller than iPhone 6+
4. Build quality
5. Speed
6. Camera. Wow!!
7. Fast charging
8. Launching Google Maps direct from a contacts name. Apple Maps launches from contacts name which we all know will send me in the wrong direction LOL.

Dislikes:

1. NFC keeps turning on by itself.
2. Cannot remove com.facebook.appmanager & com.facebook.system
3. AT&T song jingle when powering on, wakes up the whole house.
4. New notifications will not light up the display briefly to view what arrived, must press home button to view.
5. Sending a video via MMS is so compressed it is unwatchable. iMessage wins big here.
6. Cannot move app drawer icon from lower right corner of home screen, I don't want to install separate launcher just to move it.
7. Clock icon on home screen is either not functioning or very poorly designed. It should constantly be running but it only refreshes when the screen initial comes on. Would be nice to see the second hand actually moving.
8. Unable to save all Touchwiz/Note 5 settings and individual app settings just in case I have to do a factory reset. It took me days to get this Note 5 set up and tweaked to my exact liking...If I have to reset the Note 5 it is back to setting up from scratch all over again. iPhone wins big here.

1.you probably have some app turning on nfc

2. Use Package disabler from the play store.

3. Use silent boot from the play store.

4. You can also press the power button. Or you can install dynamic notifications from the play store.

5. I don't use mms, I always use youtube for videos.

6. See 8.

7.there are a number of clock widgets in the play store that you can try

8. That's one of the reasons why I use a third-party launcher, so I can save the layout

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
#8 has a solution with Google's backup & restore functionality. Go to Settings > Backup & Restore and select Automatic Restore prior to doing a factory reset.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much spot on except for a couple things. You have to remove your number from imessages account and then it will take a couple of days to clear up. Then you can use any texting app normally to anyone who has a iPhone. My son just went through this with his girlfriend going from a iPhone to a S6 Active.

NFC.. You either don't have it disabled or you have a app that uses it keeping it on.

Not wanting to install a different launcher... That's just keeping you from really setting up your phone the way you want it to be. Take the plunge and try Nova and you will quickly see just how much you are loosing out on.

Google is pretty good at backing up your apps but not like iTunes.

Silent Boot from the play store really does work.. I just downloaded it and am enjoying the silence on boot up with it.. Thanks dpham00👍

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig black Galaxy Note 5

Last edited:

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
3. Turn the volume down on system sounds. I hate that sound too.

4. Another user reported this problem too, but my ATT model lights up for notifications.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Let me try and respond to all of you who replied so far:

My NFC is absolutely off. Verified. Here are the apps I have installed that did not come preinstalled on my AT&T Note 5, maybe by this list you can tell which one might be turning on my NFC:
LinkedIn
Fandango
Hotel Tonight
Flipboard
Open Table
Pandora
WPS Office
Squid(Papyrus)
Zedge
TypeMail
9 Mail
Textra
Google Keyboard
Google Handwriting

The clock app I'm using is the clock app on the home page that came preinstalled on the phone. It is supposed to be a dynamic app that actually runs when your home page is open showing the current time but in fact hat is when it is not working. If I close the home page at say 6:17:43 and reopen the home page 7 seconds later it shows 6:17:50 but the second and minute hand are not moving. On the iPhone the hands actually move constantly on the home screen.

The biggest reason for not running Nova Prime which I have paid for is two fold. Nova customer service SUCKS bad, non existent actually. I had a big problem with unread counts not showing up or grossly inaccurate on several apps on past Note series devices and I still see the issue hasn't been addressed years later. Plus, Touchwiz overall is not that bad anymore, it would be near perfect if we could move the damn app icon.

I'll try Googles Backup & Restore option. Is it something I turn on now and leave on OR turn on before a factory reset??

Will the app Package Disabler totally remove com.facebook.appmanager & com.facebook.system?? Remember my phone is not rooted.

I'll try the Silent Boot app to keep the start up AT&T jingle turned off..

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
3. Turn the volume down on system sounds. I hate that sound too.

4. Another user reported this problem too, but my ATT model lights up for notifications.

Hi Katrina,
So when your display is off or dark and you receive a new text or new email your saying that your display lights up briefly to show you a snippet of what you received without you having to press your home button?

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Katrina,
So when your display is off or dark and you receive a new text or new email your saying that your display lights up briefly to show you a snippet of what you received without you having to press your home button?

Yes. I hear the sound, and look over to see who its from. No pressing.

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes. I hear the sound, and look over to see who its from. No pressing.

Crap....What is not working on my notifications? If my screen is dark (off) and a new email or text comes in I hear the notification and the LED starts blinking but my display stays off. The only way I can see a snippet or notification is by pressing the home button, then I see the notification on the lock screen.

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm confused now because Katrina's Note 5 is awakening the display briefly when she gets new notifications, mine does not. Unless Katrina is running an app like Dynamic Notifications......

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm confused now because Katrina's Note 5 is awakening the display briefly when she gets new notifications, mine does not. Unless Katrina is running an app like Dynamic Notifications......
Mine was doing this as well when I first got the phone, though I don't recall if it was all notifications or just texts.

Either way, I didn't like it, so I disabled it... though I don't recall how. No 3rd party apps involved, though.

m_webb

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I think this only happens when you use the stock message app. If I remember the screen lights up. I use message+ and it does not light up for a notification. I hope this is what you are talking about..