I'd like to get an iphone 6s and use both my Note 5 and 6s on the same number, by switching sim cards.
    AT&T tech tells me it can be done, but each time I do it, I'll have to call customer support to change the data from android to iphone, otherwise the data will not be received?
    They both now have the same nano sim card.
    Anyone doing this...thoughts?
    09-23-2015 05:52 AM
    I have been away from AT&T for a while, but I used an iPhone and Android simultaneously with the same sim less than a year ago without issue.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-23-2015 05:59 AM
    I'm on AT&T, been with then for about a decade.
    I used to switch back and forth between my iPhone 6 Plus and my BlackBerry Passport, and even my Z30 (I had a SIM adapter). No issues, even more so if you have a newer SIM card.

The question I now have is, WHY? The Note 5 is a rather brilliant device. I traded my iPhone 6 Plus for it. Not saying you should do the same, merely a question, and I'm curious...
    gdgtmom and digitalbreak like this.
    09-23-2015 06:09 AM
    I have no real answer ...other than I want to try it...I've always liked apple hardware...this is my 5th Galaxy and love the Note 5 too!
    My 3 kids have 6's, so I could probably keep this as an extra cause one of theirs is bounds to break!!!
    anon(153966) likes this.
    09-23-2015 07:33 AM
    Will be doing the same as well, OP. I really wish I could have two sims with the same number

Sent from my smexy T-Mobile Note 5
    09-23-2015 07:42 AM
    So I've called AT&T Tech a few times and each time they tell me the data needs to be changed in their system every time I switch the sim on the phone...
    And in the AT&T Stores they say it will all work fine with no changes...
    Confused...
    I plan on buying it from Apple on the upgrade program...
    09-23-2015 08:00 AM
    Seriously, I've done the SIM swapping. You don't need to call AT&T when you swap. When you place a SIM into a smartphone, it 'authenticates' with the carrier, and data etc. will work, based on the device the SIM is in.

Try it.

Lastly, if you're going to swap back and forth between Android and iOS, I'd avoid getting 'attached' to the likes of iMessage or an application\function that ONLY works on one, versus the other. Try to keep things generic and that you know you can obtain the SAME application(s), etc. for both OS'.
    gdgtmom likes this.
    09-23-2015 08:05 AM
    Tried it a ways back. Like you said, that data path for iPhone vs. all else differs and AT&T has to switch it. 3G works but not 4G or LTE.
    For me it wasn't worth the hassle. Voicemail setup is different also.
    My Note 5 and current 6+ each have their own number.
    09-23-2015 09:33 AM
    I don't think you have to do anything.
    When I had my iphone 6, I was switching my sim between it and my Note 4.
    I never had to call or make any adjustments in either phone. They just worked.
    This was only 6-8 months ago. I can't imagine it being any different now.
    anon(153966) and gdgtmom like this.
    09-23-2015 11:19 AM
    Will be doing the same as well, OP. I really wish I could have two sims with the same number

Sent from my smexy T-Mobile Note 5
    This!
    I have been away from AT&T for a while, but I used an iPhone and Android simultaneously with the same sim less than a year ago without issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    09-23-2015 01:47 PM
    Seriously, I've done the SIM swapping. You don't need to call AT&T when you swap. When you place a SIM into a smartphone, it 'authenticates' with the carrier, and data etc. will work, based on the device the SIM is in.

Try it.

Lastly, if you're going to swap back and forth between Android and iOS, I'd avoid getting 'attached' to the likes of iMessage or an application\function that ONLY works on one, versus the other. Try to keep things generic and that you know you can obtain the SAME application(s), etc. for both OS'.
    Nice write up...

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk
    09-23-2015 10:29 PM
    I don't think you have to do anything.
    When I had my iphone 6, I was switching my sim between it and my Note 4.
    I never had to call or make any adjustments in either phone. They just worked.
    This was only 6-8 months ago. I can't imagine it being any different now.
    I too have switched back and forth with no interruptions to service. The only problem I had was having to de register my number from imessage.

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk
    09-23-2015 10:34 PM
    I do. I switch between my Note 5 and iPhone 6 which I sold a month ago. I even swap my sim with Nexus 5 using sim card adapter. It will just work. I will be getting my iPhone 6s this Friday and will do the same. However this time iPhone 6s will be the unlocked version!

I carry both Android and Apple devices so I stay on top of both the worlds.

09-24-2015 12:43 AM
    And what service do you use?
    Please let us know if it works for all you data...
    09-24-2015 04:42 AM
    And what service do you use?
    Please let us know if it works for all you data...
    ATT. Data, voice including visual voice-mail (if your device supports) works without any issues.

09-24-2015 07:05 AM
    I use the same sim card between multiple devices on AT&T without issue, as well. I have swapped between iPhone and a number of Android phones and it works. As others have said, I just make sure I turn off iMessage on the iPhone.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    09-24-2015 09:48 AM
    A very late reply but I've just dealt with this myself. You can swap the sim but if you don't call customer service the Hotspot feature won't work and you will have visual voice-mail issues on your Android phone.
    04-07-2016 02:15 PM
    I'm currently swapping between both devices, except my iPhone is a regular 6 Plus on AT&T. Absolutely no issues here, knock on wood. Data works, voicemail works don't run into any issues at all and I hope it stay's this way. I'll be carrying a iPhone and Android device for the foreseeable future.
    04-07-2016 10:18 PM
    I have both Note 5 and iphone 6s. I have swapped back and forth all the times. Do you need to call ATT support when you swap phone using the same SIM? Yes and No.

Yes, if you are using personal-hotspot. Once you swapped the phone, the personal-hotspot will no longer work. This feature ties to the phone IMEI number. The Hot-Spot will need to be reregistered. Only ATT support can do it, at store or on phone.

No, if you don't use hotspot. You don't need to call. Everything else seems to work just fine. However, as other had mentioned. You will need to DEREGISTER from iMessage when switching from iPhone to Note 5. This is a self service you can do. Here is the link: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

It is a small inconvenience. I stopped swapping the phone now. I set my iPhone as main phone. I now tether my Note 5 via hotspot and be able to use the Note 5 at the same time, minus phone and text functions.
    04-08-2016 05:36 AM
    I have both Note 5 and iphone 6s. I have swapped back and forth all the times. Do you need to call ATT support when you swap phone using the same SIM? Yes and No.

Yes, if you are using personal-hotspot. Once you swapped the phone, the personal-hotspot will no longer work. This feature ties to the phone IMEI number. The Hot-Spot will need to be reregistered. Only ATT support can do it, at store or on phone.

No, if you don't use hotspot. You don't need to call. Everything else seems to work just fine. However, as other had mentioned. You will need to DEREGISTER from iMessage when switching from iPhone to Note 5. This is a self service you can do. Here is the link: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

It is a small inconvenience. I stopped swapping the phone now. I set my iPhone as main phone. I now tether my Note 5 via hotspot and be able to use the Note 5 at the same time, minus phone and text functions.
    Bouncing this thread. I just did this. ATT told me definitely you need to call to get the hotspot to work. They also said LTE will not work only 3g. I have switched in the past wo issue. My phone's always say LTE. But is it possible I wasn't getting LTE? I would like to swap between an ip 7 plus and pixel.
    10-21-2016 10:16 PM
    I'm going to revive this old thread to say THANK YOU, yes it turns I can flip my AT&T sim card around - and - don't listen to AT&T techs if that's what your sim card is and you have an old plan.

I popped my sim card into an unlocked LG G3; worked for voice but not data. Searched around for info; all I could find was "call AT&T". I did so, the tech guy said the phone would only get 3G speeds but I could do it, he just had to change the "provisioning" - about which I know nothing.
    After trying, he said that it was impossible, because I have a grandfathered-in unlimited data plan, and there is no current comparable plan. Huh? Why would I have to change plans? I said I didn't believe that was the case, but thank you and good-bye. Then found this thread so I knew it was probably possible. It turns out, I just needed to manually enter an APN (whatever that is), voila, it does work, AT&T tech was full of it. But it does only get 3G speeds.
    12-28-2016 12:44 AM