Android Pay update Magnetic strip

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Just spoke to a Verizon rep who said that android pay will be updating soon to include the magnetic strip reader like Samsung pay! Can't wait.

Posted via the Android Central App

elysm1

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
This would be amazing! I love the app but the ability to use it virtually anywhere would make my life much easier.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yep the rep said they don't have to the date yet, but they have been received some training on it. If android pay will work like that then I don't have to have Samsung Pay. It would be cool to have both though, but as long as the magnetic reader on android pay, I will be happy!

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I doubt it. Magnetic strip method requires the hardware. How would Google make it work with only software? Apple would have done it already if it was possible.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just spoke to a Verizon rep who said that android pay will be updating soon to include the magnetic strip reader like Samsung pay! Can't wait.

May be with the new Nexus devices? This certainly requires hardware to work along with software update.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah that's not gonna happen. Samsung owns the tech and it's a hardware thing not just software. So you've been misled by Verizon they are good at misleading people.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
In an earlier thread someone mentioned that his sales rep at his local Verizon corp store told him he was getting training on Samsung Pay. That would make more sense as the latest Samsung phones have the hardware to connect to the magnetic strip card readers.
I am guessing that we will find out on the 28th.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
That is what the lady said. So those of you telling proprietary what position do you work in Samsung, verizon, or google? And after providing your position with either company please tell me of the contract negotiations that went on between the companies where Samsung stated that Verizon cannot have access to this technology. These companies operate on contracts with one another, so unless you were on either companies contract negotiation team, you do not know what deals were worked out between them. Not only that but these contracts are almost always hidden from everyone.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
The mean think logically here, Samsung is a business who wants to make money. They have this magnetic tech. Are they going to say nope only on Samsung pay or yes I will let you have access to this on my devices for a percentage of each transaction fee? They will make a lot more by allowing even competitors of Samsung pay use their tech then just locking it down to Samsung pay. They could even license the tech to other phone manufacturers for free and say whatever payment method you use we get a cut of the transaction fee.

This will be a huge money maker for Samsung!

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
That is what the lady said. So those of you telling proprietary what position do you work in Samsung, verizon, or google? And after providing your position with either company please tell me of the contract negotiations that went on between the companies where Samsung stated that Verizon cannot have access to this technology. These companies operate on contracts with one another, so unless you were on either companies contract negotiation team, you do not know what deals were worked out between them. Not only that but these contracts are almost always hidden from everyone.

No one is disputing that someone in Verizon sales told you what you have reported. However, as others have stated the Hardware and Software to make it happen are indeed owned by Samsung and they are protected intellectual property. This is easily discovered by searching the business sites for the purchase of the original company to invent the hardware and software by Samsung. You don't have to be an employee of Samsung or have top secret information. As for Samsung licensing the technology, who knows. Since they aren't charging banks to allow their customers to use the service and also aren't charging merchants or users to for using the service, it is likely they may be looking to make some money other than increased phone sales.
And just to ease your mind about your conspiracy theories, I don't have any connection to Samsung except as a consumer who has purchased their products retail. And I don't have any affiliation with Verizon or Verizon Wireless except as a retail consumer of their phone and data services. And finally, I don't have any affiliation with Google or Alphabet other than a retail consumer.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

I'm a Verizon rep and have heard nothing about that. Then again I've been on vacation so when I get back I will confirm this. Last training I had was on Android pay.

JPWhite

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
LoopPay used to sell a case and card for $60 which meant any phone could use the LoopPay system. Not sure if they still sell the stuff or not now Samsung owns them.

take a look at looppay dot com forward slash products.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Look at the back of your phone. See the extra sensor below the heart rate sensor in the separate module to the right of the camera module? That's the magnetic field transmitter. The absence of it is why even Samsung's low end and 2014 and earlier high end phones will never have the feature. And Samsung acquired LoopPay they didn't license the tech from them. So unless there's another LoopPay out their for Google to acquire and their 2015 phones include a magnetic field transmitter we can put this rumor to bed.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Look at the back of your phone. See the extra sensor below the heart rate sensor in the separate module to the right of the camera module? That's the magnetic field transmitter. The absence of it is why even Samsung's low end and 2014 and earlier high end phones will never have the feature. And Samsung acquired LoopPay they didn't license the tech from them. So unless there's another LoopPay out their for Google to acquire and their 2015 phones include a magnetic field transmitter we can put this rumor to bed.

Both things below the flash is for the heart rate monitor.

The hardware for Mst is a coil.
looppay-chip-mobile-payments.jpg

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I was told what I posted from a Korean-based Samsung tech VP who was in our office for a quarterly meeting. Beyond that I have no idea how accurate what I posted is.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Not saying that it is not proprietary. Indeed it is all,all I'm saying is that Samsung can make a lot more money by allowing others to use the technology they have in their phones. I see this all the time with other companies.

Bkayrac

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Not saying that it is not proprietary. Indeed it is all,all I'm saying is that Samsung can make a lot more money by allowing others to use the technology they have in their phones. I see this all the time with other companies.

And what we are asking is. Why are you so hell bent on believing this verizon rep?

If you haven't noticed, employee's in this country are bad at their jobs......Android pay is googles software to use NFC. Samsung pay is samsungs software that uses NFC and the magnetic strip.

Your verizon rep is confusing samsung pay, and android pay. It's really that simple.

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I would be very frustrated also if verizon was the only decent network in my area and I wanted Samsung pay. Fortunately, t mobile is pretty good in my area.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan