Moving from apple to samsung note 5

Dave8671

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone

I have decided to skip the iPhone 6 and get a note 5 this December (I have a contract). I currently have a iPhone 5c. I have been reading information on the web about the note five for a few months but coming from apple I have a few questions. I go to best buy play with the display so I can figure out things ask questions but I really to not hound the reps.

Launchers are a new thing for me. I have been reading about different ones. Though launcher is a term I think of as an app launcher. I like that I can add widgets to the screens on TouchWiz. Is this the same with other launchers or just TouchWiz. and is the S pen tied to TouchWiz for use?
I also need to understand how the S pen works that is not on the display model.

Thanks
Dave

izzy67

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
First of all good move moving to android!!! Okay, so I don't have a galaxy so I dont have touch wiz or s pen but I can tell you that their are many launchers in the play store and many of them allow widgets on the home screen. So its not only touch wiz being that all stock android phone launchers allow widgets on home screen. And also I don't think the s pen is tied only for use on touch wiz. I know one of the most popular launchers that everyone uses is nova launcher which I like alot.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone

I have decided to skip the iPhone 6 and get a note 5 this December (I have a contract). I currently have a iPhone 5c. I have been reading information on the web about the note five for a few months but coming from apple I have a few questions. I go to best buy play with the display so I can figure out things ask questions but I really to not hound the reps.

Launchers are a new thing for me. I have been reading about different ones. Though launcher is a term I think of as an app launcher. I like that I can add widgets to the screens on TouchWiz. Is this the same with other launchers or just TouchWiz. and is the S pen tied to TouchWiz for use?

Thanks
Dave

I use Nova Launcher and it doesn't interfere with the spen and you can use widgets.

TouchWiz is basically like a type of launcher. You can think of launchers almost like a "theme" you apply. It changes the look, allows you to have custom icon packs, let's you increase the number of icons across the bottom, etc.

Clams1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I left apple 2 years ago when I switched to the S4. Now I'm onto the Note 5. My advise would be to do things gradually so you don't overwhelm yourself. First just get the phone and figure out how it works and how android works. Stick with touch wiz for a while. Then after a few weeks or a month or two, move onto a launcher and some of the more advanced stuff. Eventually you'll figure it all out, but I think it's easier and less stressful to take it slowly.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Nice upgrade your going to have with the Note 5.

Each of the different launchers will give you a different look and feel for your phone. Touch Wiz is the entire User Interface that you have to use and will still be there even if you change the launcher unless you decide to root the device and load a custom rom on it if yours allows it.

Yes you can still use the spen but there will be some differences. You should try different ones and see what you like and dislike.

Your going to be able to change just about everything that comes with your phone so start researching the various types of launchers, keyboards, themes and looking at people's home screens and how they have their phone setup so you can get a idea of what you can have.

Android is all about customization and making it a unique experience.

Good luck with the change

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig Black Sapphire leather wrapped Note 5

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone

Thanks
Dave

Congrats on making a decision I'm sure probably was tough but I think you won't regret. Custom Launchers replace touchwiz, although tw will remain accessible whenever you want to use it. They do not effect s-pen functionality. A new launcher will however prevent you from using touchwiz specific widgets like the s-note, s-planner and default weather widgets.

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear

Dave8671

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, now I understand how TouchWiz works. Deciding to ditch iPhone was not so tough. I read that Samsung has less bloatware now than the note 4 had. Every time iPhone does an upgrade I get more bloatware that I do not use. (iwatch) Plus I am getting bored of apple phones always the same thing but different size.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
The most important thing is you need to give it some time. Android is a different experience. Don't just say after 2 days I'm done going back to iOS. Trust me get used to it after a couple weeks. I've had almost every iPhone and a bunch of Androids over the years. I never gave it time really. The Note 5 is the first device on Android I gave it time. I love this thing plus finally having a premium quality phone instead of the plastic backing etc. Extremely happy with the Note 5 coming from the iPhone 6.

Dave8671

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Update I been using my note 5 for almost 11 months. have not any issues. Though, I do have a question that I have searched for but there are to many options. I plan on moving to iMac in the next year or two. I need to find how to add music and videos to my Note 5. I right now using windows 7 and WMP, If I need to purchase a program not a problem. what would be the best app for this? Note I am not using itunes. Can I just drag and drop the files?

Thanks
Dave

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the other side! You will love this phone. I have it because of the Note7 recall and I love it. I have had all the Note devices.