03-19-2016 05:13 PM
80 1234
tools
    I know very little about the iPhone (new or old), but it seems to me the Spen has for years been allowing you to do some of the things the iPhone just started doing. Previewing pics and messages for instance. Hover the spen and there's your preview.

Listening to bits and pieces of Apple's innovations, there are times I can remember thinking, "I've been doing that since my Note 3".

Again, I know very little about the iPhone, so I'm not bashing. For me, the best things about them are easily achieved with my Notes, and there are things my Apple friends wish their phones could do that I take for granted because I've been doing it for years.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yep......and the Galaxy S4 was doing the figure hover of pics and messages for preview before the Note 3. So the iPhone is doing it by 3D Touch. I just think the iPhone looks a little cleaner doing things, but the N5 just has more feature and options in IMO.
    09-27-2015 09:55 PM
    To Apple's defense though you need to have the stylus out to achieve these shortcuts lol
    I agree. However, needing the stylus doesn't make them new Apple features. It only makes them old to Android features accessed a different Apple way...with your finger. ;-)

09-27-2015 10:24 PM
    Hopefully the app permissions in M will help with this. I am not 100% on these issues since I normally have all syncs going full blast but I would be annoyed if they wouldn't stop.
    Hoping so too! If Google honestly tackles this issue and makes apps behave in the background then I can see this being enough to taking some of that market share back.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-27-2015 11:40 PM
    I agree. However, needing the stylus doesn't make them new Apple features. It only makes them old to Android features accessed a different Apple way...with your finger. ;-)

Using a finger is more convenient than having to pull out the S-Pen to use that feature. My S4 had the feature when you hover your finger over the enabled app but did Samsung take that feature away on newer devices?
    09-27-2015 11:49 PM
    Touch ID in iPhone 6s is wicked, wicked fast. The Note 5 is still isn't bad is pretty much the same as in 5s and 6 but 6s is wicked fast. I have one and have compared it myself.

09-28-2015 12:55 AM
    S Pen: I don't find the S Pen that useful but a neat feature to have for note takers.
    It's easy to dismiss the S Pen as something unnecessary until it becomes necessary. It's incredibly useful when annotating a photograph which you can't do without a third party app and even when you have app that lets you write on your pictures, there's no way your finger is going to replace the finesse of the S Pen (Apple wouldn't have released the Pencil if they though the human finger can work magic with their force touch technology).
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    09-28-2015 12:56 AM
    But the fingerprint censor on the new iPhone is FAST. With the Note 5 you get a millisecond delay (I know...) but with the 6s you barely know it's on there because it's instant.
    Is your schedule REALLY so tight that a millisecond will throw you into chaos and backlog?
    debdroid1a likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:22 AM
    It is very much a personal preference thing at this point. There are far more similarities between the platforms than there are differences. Most of my friends who are artsy types naturally gravitate to the iPhone, while my friends who are software developers go Android as their primary device, while their iOS devices are mainly used for dev.
    09-28-2015 07:43 AM
    To Apple's defense though you need to have the stylus out to achieve these shortcuts lol
    The galaxy s5 and s4 had the air view without a stylus, just hover your finger over the screen, but for some reason Sammy took that functionality out of the s6 during their slimming of tw.

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
    PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear
    09-28-2015 06:02 PM
    Yep......and the Galaxy S4 was doing the figure hover of pics and messages for preview before the Note 3. So the iPhone is doing it by 3D Touch. I just think the iPhone looks a little cleaner doing things, but the N5 just has more feature and options in IMO.
    I used this argument on a CNET article last week and was blasted because apparently 3d touch does more then just preview pics and emails. It will eventually allow shortcuts like deep press twitter and it will give you the option to tweet, immediately or some things like that. I guess that saves a second and 1 step off launching the app and then tapping tweet.

PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear
    09-28-2015 06:03 PM
    Using a finger is more convenient than having to pull out the S-Pen to use that feature. My S4 had the feature when you hover your finger over the enabled app but did Samsung take that feature away on newer devices?
    Yes they took the air view with finger away starting with s6

09-28-2015 06:08 PM
    Good unbiased video speed comparison for those of us that don't have both phones. Take from it what you will.

txgmom505 likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:30 PM
    I'm kind of surprised you found the 6S Plus to have a faster fingerprint reader. From what I've seen of the 6S and Plus (I work in a phone store so been setting up a lot of them for customers), they are pretty much equal in speed to the N5.

I originally wanted a 6S Plus but the screen on the Note 5 was too amazing to pass up.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-28-2015 08:13 PM
    Gestures.

jdfry15 likes this.
    09-28-2015 08:52 PM
    I noticed on the video some lagging on the Note 5. Look at the Note 5 when scrolling in YouTube. Google Maps had to redraw every time he would zoom out.
    09-28-2015 08:59 PM
    I noticed on the video some lagging on the Note 5. Look at the Note 5 when scrolling in YouTube. Google Maps had to redraw every time he would zoom out.
    I also noticed that in a few of the tests he said was a tie it seemed like the Note 5 was slightly faster (in my opinion). I think the 6s won some battles but overall the Note 5 has a slight edge.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-28-2015 09:16 PM
    Idle time is better on the 6+ by almost 30% but for power users that doesn't matter at all. For those that use the phone like an actual phone the 6+ isn't nearly as good.
    That's been my experience with Apple devices as well: Good standby times, but not so good when you are actually using the phone. I actually carry both iOS and Android devices with me 90% of the time (one for each pocket, lol). My iPhone usually sits in my pocket while my Android device gets all the use, so of course the iPhone will go a few days because it does nothing. I get about three calls per week on the Apple, compared to 20 to 100 calls per day on the other. So yesterday I decided to spread out the usage and put them both to work. After 24 hours the iPhone had dropped from 100% to 42%, which is really ok. The other phone (an HTC One M8) was used harder than the iPhone and was at 64%.

A major difference I've also seen (this is coming from someone who has owned every iPhone from the 3 to the 6), is that iPhone battery life is at it's best the first few weeks, then begins a downward trend. The Androids I've had are at their worst the first few days, then stabilize and improve. I've had my M8 for about a year, and I often finish a long day at work with the phone at 70%. I recently got my son the iPhone 6, and he said the battery life was great. Now a month later, I see him come home from school and make a beeline for his charger so he can juice back up.
    Gray Area and debdroid1a like this.
    09-28-2015 09:46 PM
    That's been my experience with Apple devices as well: Good standby times, but not so good when you are actually using the phone. I actually carry both iOS and Android devices with me 90% of the time (one for each pocket, lol). My iPhone usually sits in my pocket while my Android device gets all the use, so of course the iPhone will go a few days because it does nothing. I get about three calls per week on the Apple, compared to 20 to 100 calls per day on the other. So yesterday I decided to spread out the usage and put them both to work. After 24 hours the iPhone had dropped from 100% to 42%, which is really ok. The other phone (an HTC One M8) was used harder than the iPhone and was at 64%.

A major difference I've also seen (this is coming from someone who has owned every iPhone from the 3 to the 6), is that iPhone battery life is at it's best the first few weeks, then begins a downward trend. The Androids I've had are at their worst the first few days, then stabilize and improve. I've had my M8 for about a year, and I often finish a long day at work with the phone at 70%. I recently got my son the iPhone 6, and he said the battery life was great. Now a month later, I see him come home from school and make a beeline for his charger so he can juice back up.
    I no longer use an iPhone so I can't testify for the latest iPhones but I never had great experiences with battery life. I get great battery life on Windows Phone and great usage with Android although standby isn't as strong on Android.
    09-28-2015 10:01 PM
    I work at Apple and have a Note 5 as my daily driver.
    (although, i also have an iphone 6 decoy i pull out in front of customers ;p)

Note 5 > S6 Edge + > iPhone
    Gray Area, debdroid1a and jnew619 like this.
    09-28-2015 11:28 PM
    Is your schedule REALLY so tight that a millisecond will throw you into chaos and backlog?
    The 6sp fps is quicker and more accurate for me than my note 5

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 6s Plus
    09-28-2015 11:31 PM
    It's all depend on our needs. But don't forget, apple only throw out features which has already stabil in performance (at least until now )

Posted via the Android Central App #Galnote5
    I suppose you're right. I like the flexibility with android phones which you don't get with iphones (unless it's jail broken).
    09-29-2015 04:34 AM
    My 6S gets here Tuesday so I'll be able to compare the two as well. Samsung made a hell of a product and the only thing keeping it down is honestly Google. Android apps reaally need to be more restricted in how they turn on in the background. That said, I'll be keeping both phones.
    Why do you think Google is the problem? I have a Google nexus 5, should I be concerned?
    09-29-2015 04:40 AM
    I currently have both and enjoy each. Yesterday playing around with the cameras in the house in low-light, the N5 easily beat the 6S+. I haven't been able to try it out in the daylight yet. I've read all the comparisons, but it's nothing like seeing it for yourself.
    As for the N5, I haven't been disappointed in anything really. All the changes from N4 to N5 I knew about before I ever bought the N5. can't complain...I bought it.
    The 6S+ is nice, but not radically different from the regular 6+ (which I have also). I got it mainly for the camera upgrade. 3D touch, peek & pop...nice but not something I would use, but out of curiosity.
    When I want to be creative and customize or take serious photos that I can actually edit from RAW, I use the N5.
    When I want to not have to think, and imessage and facetime family and friends...I use the 6S+.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-29-2015 05:56 AM
    I've been a loyal Galaxy user for many years , starting with Galaxy's then Notes 2,3,4, and now 5!
    But I'm getting this uncontrollable urge to get a 6s+.
    Actually, I want to use both for a while and just switch the sim card, back and forth whenever.
    Being on AT&T they tell me each time I switch the sim, I'll have to call Cust Sup to make a "change" in their system because the data plans are different in their billing and it needs to be updated.
    I've received feedback from many users doing this and they say it works fine.
    I like the features of the Note 5 but have to say I don't use the S pen often.
    I guess I could buy one from Apple have it activated and use it for 2 weeks and then return it, if I don't enjoy it.
    But the hassle of moving all the data back and forth is an issue.
    I've been reading reviews/ posts on both sites and depending which forum your on, apple or android , each story is pushing the respective phone, on their site!
    My other 3 lines for my kids all have 6's!
    V-e-r-y C-o-n-f-u-s-e-d
    jnew619 likes this.
    09-29-2015 06:00 AM
    I've been a loyal Galaxy user for many years , starting with Galaxy's then Notes 2,3,4, and now 5!
    But I'm getting this uncontrollable urge to get a 6s+.
    Actually, I want to use both for a while and just switch the sim card, back and forth whenever.
    Being on AT&T they tell me each time I switch the sim, I'll have to call Cust Sup to make a "change" in their system because the data plans are different in their billing and it needs to be updated.
    I've received feedback from many users doing this and they say it works fine.
    I like the features of the Note 5 but have to say I don't use the S pen often.
    I guess I could buy one from Apple have it activated and use it for 2 weeks and then return it, if I don't enjoy it.
    But the hassle of moving all the data back and forth is an issue.
    I've been reading reviews/ posts on both sites and depending which forum your on, apple or android , each story is pushing the respective phone, on their site!
    My other 3 lines for my kids all have 6's!
    V-e-r-y C-o-n-f-u-s-e-d
    I switch sims in the phones quite often, sometimes in the same day, and have for years. No problems. I did that when I was on the unlimited data plan, and also my current family share plan. The only thing I would have to do if I wanted to, was make sure the Iphones' IMEI number was in the AT&T systems IF I wanted to facetime over Data.
    09-29-2015 06:12 AM
80 1234