Samsung GM of Samsung Pay claims Verizon owners might have access next week or so.

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Actually Verizon did more than just remove Samsung Pay. They inserted an active blocking script or some such where even side-loading the Samsung Pay apk and the necessary Samsung Framework apk your Verizon branded phone still can't use Samsung Pay.

strangely, Verizon never refuses to bend over willingly
when Apple does something with their new iPhones. :)

I don't know what kind of sweet deals Apple is giving
Verizon... but they seem to push the iPhone 10 times as
hard as Samsung phones. When I recently bought
THREE Galaxy Note5 phones, the Verizon corporate
store employees tried VERY HARD to convince me to
get the iPhone 6s Plus instead. I refused, of course. :)
(even after I was about to leave the store with my three
new Note5 phones, he kept telling me that I had 14 days
to exchange them for the new iPhone 6s Plus) :(

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
The profit margin on IPhones is very high. On average an IPhone 6 cost Apple $237 to make. As far as profits for all smart phones. Apple has something like 94% of total smart phone profits. That leaves 6% for everyone else. Note that Apple does not have 94% of sales only 94% of all the profits made on smart phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
The profit margin on IPhones is very high. On average an IPhone 6 cost Apple $237 to make. As far as profits for all smart phones. Apple has something like 94% of total smart phone profits. That leaves 6% for everyone else. Note that Apple does not have 94% of sales only 94% of all the profits made on smart phones.

does that translate into higher profit margins(or commissions) for Verizon? (compared to selling Note5?)

I guess so. Otherwise I can't understand why the corporate store employee actually took time out and called me to see if I really didn't want to exchange my three Note5 phones for three iPhone 6s Plus phones. :(

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Having worked retail sales, I would imagine there are incentives for selling one phone over another. Is Apple doing this? I don't know. It may be Verizon that is offering additional commissions for each iphone. The only way a sales person would push one phone over another is if they got more money or they are a real die hard fan of the phone. I would say the former. Money's always a driving factor.

It is possible that Verizon makes more money off I phones so they are pushing bigger incentives.

sx4dude2013

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Having worked retail sales, I would imagine there are incentives for selling one phone over another. Is Apple doing this? I don't know. It may be Verizon that is offering additional commissions for each iphone. The only way a sales person would push one phone over another is if they got more money or they are a real die hard fan of the phone. I would say the former. Money's always a driving factor.

It is possible that Verizon makes more money off I phones so they are pushing bigger incentives.

Verizon doesn't care if you sell and iPhone or a galaxy. I know I worked for them. Lol

Posted via my Samsung Note 5

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Verizon doesn't care if you sell and iPhone or a galaxy. I know I worked for them. Lol

Posted via my Samsung Note 5

that's what I figured... what I can't figure out is why that corporate store is pushing the iPhones so hard. :) they've known me for almost 5 years.(about 11 phones, Galaxy 2/3/4, S4/5/6)... perhaps they want to see if it's possible to convert an Android fanboy like me to the other camp? :D

cbeattie411

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I currently work for a Verizon indirect store and can tell you that ijunks (iphones) have the lowest commissions of any smartphone.

Zac Buchholz

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
does that translate into higher profit margins(or commissions) for Verizon? (compared to selling Note5?)

I guess so. Otherwise I can't understand why the corporate store employee actually took time out and called me to see if I really didn't want to exchange my three Note5 phones for three iPhone 6s Plus phones. :(

No it actually doesn't translate into higher profit margins for Verizon, I sell iPhones at a tech store and what we sell iphones for is barely higher than the price we get them for. Apple is greedy and they get all the profit. Verizon must be getting some other incentives from Apple to be promoting them so hard.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why do wireless carriers get a say on what we use to connect to their network.

Home ISP versus Wireless are treated differently. They really only restrict these services -- as for devices Verizon has to allow any device on the network that is capable. If you take any active SIM and slap it into a capable device it will connect. They cannot block it due to their 700 MHz spectrum deal.

Verizon and the other carriers need to move into the 21st century. The OEMs need to get a backbone, like Apple, and tell the carries to stop removing features

Sadly Android is open and able to be modified -- hence why they can skin Android and do what they want (to an extent). Apple (iOS) is not so -- they can't. That is why. Google stepped in when Samsung was going wayyyy overboard with their modifying though since they were almost turning it into another OS with all their bloat and things so they told them to tone it down (which Samsung has). Other than that things can be tossed in (or out).

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
"Home ISP versus Wireless are treated differently. They really only restrict these services -- as for devices Verizon has to allow any device on the network that is capable. If you take any active SIM and slap it into a capable device it will connect. They cannot block it due to their 700 MHz spectrum deal."

I don't believe this statement is true or accurate since the FCC has made phone carriers access providers exactly like cable companies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe this statement is true or accurate since the FCC has made phone carriers access providers exactly like cable companies.

Ah let me clarify. He is saying they won't allow use of a piece of software on the phone (one they're allowed to modify and remove support for) versus using a banking website on his PC. Those are kinda different. Comcast doesn't sell you your PC to use. They do sell you a modem and as we have found out they have a free hot spot on that modem -- even if you don't want it. Due to pressure they added a switch you can turn off on your account but that is only fro those who know about it (they don't openly tell you).

There are plenty each do that are wrong and I am not defending each... I am just saying comparing a phone they are allowed to modify (since Android is open) to a home ISP letting you access a site are very different. Verizon isn't blocking you from accessing that website either -- but using the service they are. Complaints to the FCC may help change the tune.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
According to the FCC Verizon cannot block usage of a device or software from accessing their network as long as the device/software does not interfere with the network operation. To make matters worse, Verizon is blocking Samsung Pay while allowing competing applications to run like Android Pay and Apple Pay. As to a comparison to land based ISPs I mentioned Comcast as the ISP cannot block any application I want to run on my internet connected device as long as it conforms to the Terms of Service, is not illegal to use, or does not interfere with the operation of their network. So if I have a banking application (not a website) that I use to make payments Comcast cannot block that just because they offer a competing product, or because the bank did not pay homage to Comcast (in the form of cash or user data).

What Verizon is doing violates FCC rules. I filed a complaint with the FCC and it got Verizon's attention when a lot of others followed with their complaints. I believe the number of filings was enough to push Verizon to make a decision to support Samsung Pay. And for those that do not think Samsung Pay requires internet access, how in the heck do you think you set up your credit card? Answer: Via the internet on your phone. The app needs to communicate with your bank or credit card company to confirm your card. This is one of the things Verizon is blocking as those that side-loaded the app can attest to.

Plain and simple, Verizon is an ISP and as such must conform to all the FCC rules governing ISPs.

Almeuit: you alluded to Comcast not selling me a computer, did you not buy your phone direct from Motorola? So how can Verizon dictate to you what you can and cannot run on your device? I paid full price for my phone at Best Buy, and I should be allowed to use this device and all its features as I see fit, as long as it is legal to do so.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
According to the FCC the Verizon cannot block usage of a device or software from accessing their network as long as the device/software does not interfere with the network operation. As such, Verizon is blocking Samsung Pay while allowing competing application to run like Android Pay and Apple Pay.

Exactly!... And Verizon can easily say Samsung Pay does do something they don't like and it fits into that qualification so they're fine. Also yes Verizon / Verizon FiOS is an ISP .. Verizon Wireless isn't just an ISP they're a cell company :).

Honestly they said they are allowing it so I am not sure why this discussion is even continuing.

Ewing33855

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I just received an update to Samsung push in the play store. The feature claims that it pushes new content to your phone so crossing my fingers Samsung pay comes soon. Vzw note 5 users here.

Sent from my Note 5
6194e874c56315fb7d6d2154156b0498.jpg

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Got this too. Almost did not update as I didn't want them pushing bloat but figured we are one step closer!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Exactly!... And Verizon can easily say Samsung Pay does do something they don't like and it fits into that qualification so they're fine. Also yes Verizon / Verizon FiOS is an ISP .. Verizon Wireless isn't just an ISP they're a cell company :).

Honestly they said they are allowing it so I am not sure why this discussion is even continuing.

"Verizon Wireless isn't just an ISP they're a cell company"
My understanding of the above statement is that it doesn't jive with the FCC's declaration of what the new rules cover. My understanding is that cell companies are ISPs and are to be treated and regulated exactly like any other ISP.
Interestingly, simply saying you will allow something you are currently illegally blocking doesn't change the blocking and without a date for the change doesn't remedy the illegal blocking.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
"Verizon Wireless isn't just an ISP they're a cell company"
My understanding of the above statement is that it doesn't jive with the FCC's declaration of what the new rules cover. My understanding is that cell companies are ISPs and are to be treated and regulated exactly like any other ISP.
Interestingly, simply saying you will allow something you are currently illegally blocking doesn't change the blocking and without a date for the change doesn't remedy the illegal blocking.

Hehe. I mean I get what you're saying and it is right but -- Modifying software to remove stuff on a phone versus accessing a website on a home ISP = two different things is all I was saying. Sorry for the confusion if that is what I caused since I wanted to just say that was a bad comparison. Android can be modified how carriers want .. sadly that includes removing things. ISPs simply do not remove things since they do not sell things such as computers to us in order to use their network. That is where I simply have to agree to disagree since the comparison isn't equal.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Update 10/6: Verizon and Samsung HAVE reached an agreement on Samsung Pay use

Droid Life is reporting that Verizon is updating the compatible phones with Samsung Pay today. I checked and haven't received an update yet.