10-02-2015 08:54 PM
41 12
tools
    Camera and the camera software - Nexus always falls apart in this department and this is where Note 5 excels. One of the reasons I decided to go with Samsung.

I am really skeptical about the fingerprint sensor at the back. Having it in the front seems logical but we have to wait and see.

No wireless charging is also a deal breaker for me for that cost you pay for the phone.

USB Type C cable - not interested in spending money to buy bunch of these when its not quite popular yet.

No fast charging is also a deal breaker to me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-30-2015 11:45 AM
    I'm always amazed people pre-order new phones. Until consumer models are plentiful we may know stats but how is the radio? Real life battery time? Does it run hot? Restarts? There are a million possible issues we couldn't possibly anticipate. Just look at the s6 edge. Sounded spectacular but overheating fast charging and accelerometer burn out soon cooled my enthusiasm. I know nothing about Huawei. How is their customer service? Quality control etc?

I don't care about looks and the specs sound fantastic. I can't wait to read customer comments. I don't trust website reviews. They don't use the phone long enough to find the flaws.
    Interestingly, I have held off buying the Note 5 as I wanted to see what the real life issues were, the problems occurring, and how they are resolved. For the Nexus 6P, it will be probably be November before the same level of feedback is obtained from 6P users.

The Note series is well established, and Samsung has learned (some of the time anyway) from their previous mistakes. While Huawei may be a huge company, this is their first Nexus.

I am currently looking at feature sets, am inclined to go with the Note 5 due to fast wireless charging and the spen. Without the spen, it is simply another large phone. Touchwiz vs pure Android is not a compelling argument for me. Support and functionality is.
    09-30-2015 12:07 PM
    I've gotten a lot of new phones without reviews. My reasoning is no reviewer is going to be able to tell me if I'm going to like it, plus it is really easy to return phones. I buy unlocked mostly so no return fees. Anyway I am definitely tempted by the nexus. I enjoy the note five but I've been a nexus gal since the 1. We shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oscar Maradiaga likes this.
    09-30-2015 12:18 PM
    Okay, I'm sold on the Note 5 over the 6P for all of the reasons stated above me! So go with an Int'l version or AT&T? My bank card is currently not supported by Samsung Pay. I think the camera on the 6P pales in comparison to the Note 5 and iphone 6s. The photos that were shown looked darker, except for the low light photo. I just need Amazon to issue my refund for the S6 edge returned last week.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-30-2015 11:29 PM
    I just got a Note 5 and am loving it, but I'd seriously consider the 6P if I were looking now... Just don't know about that SD810.
    10-01-2015 08:45 PM
    The Nexi still have eMMC 5.0 memory while Samsung's moved to UFS. Any speed gained from being "pure" will be lost to slower I/O.

What Samsung's switch to LPDDR4 and UFS 2.0 means
    Gray Area likes this.
    10-01-2015 09:05 PM
    Software features mean more to me than hardware specs.
    I use multi window regularly and I really like using s-note and the s-pen.
    If another device came out with those features then I would have to take a look, until then the note series wins for me.
    10-01-2015 09:16 PM
    Every phone is just great! I feel nowadays, every phone is pretty much the same plus or minus a few specifications. In terms of functions, all phones seems to get you from point A to point B. The Note 5 is great, iPhone 6s+ is great, the Nexus 6P is great, the LG V10 is great, and whatever else is coming out.

Most of the higher end phones can multi task nowadays and is quite fast. Most of the phones are so smooth you'll only notice milliseconds of difference and even then it seems to matter more on just how old your phone is has gotten since you bought it new.
    Most of their cameras can take amazing photos even with megapixel difference between models that only a really picky people or professional photographers will mind the difference. Most battery no matter how big or small, seems to only last 1 day and the variance is probably a couple hours.

In terms of looks, every phone looks the same too. I dont mean literally, but looks are subjective and its really hard to say one looks better than the others. Majority of people use their phones with cases so it makes the design of the phone even less relevant. As I socialize and go about the world, everybody's phone just look like large rectangles everywhere I go. It's not like I can look at the phone with the case on from far away and be like, "oh! that is the x or y phone" No... I just see whatever special case you decided to buy, and a large 5'' to 5.7'' display. In fact, I dont even look around and see what phone people have, I look at what case people have.

All the phones are pretty much the same and you can't go wrong with whatever you end up picking and most people probably won't even know how fast or expensive your phone is by looking at you in public. I personally went with the Note 5 because it has something that others don't have. The S-pen is still the most original thing in smartphone history and its even better now. Its fast, more useful, more responsible, taking notes instantly is just great. Not having to wait until you go home to edit a business PDF is even better. Plus nobody else has Samsung pay. I still feel the Note 5 is still above all other smartphone, probably just as good as other companies next year models.
    Gray Area and Oscar Maradiaga like this.
    10-01-2015 09:53 PM
    Guys guys the note 5 is clearly a step ahead but are we being bias here since we all own note 5's? But wait the camera on tbe note 5 is an amazing camera but does the 6s or nexus 6p come close? I'm eagerly awaiting reviews to see whats the best camera as far as nexus software. The device is like crack latest updates before anyone and we all know how bad Samsung updates are bad and slow to roll out. By the time i got the 5.1.1. On my note 4 the note 5 was introduced and just sad. I went with. The note 5 for less lag and a better camera and gave up an sd card of 64gb and I sacrificed storage. And this galaxy note 5 freezing are you kidding me. How about galaxy 6s and edge getting screwed only note 5 and 6edge+ being offered the wireless adapter lol. But hey I'm happy now my phone isn't freezing and I can continue saying i Love my note 5. HERES what my note 5 looks like with a touch of nexus 6lNexus 6P Looking good-screenshot_2015-10-01-23-52-33.jpg
    10-01-2015 11:01 PM
    Long-time Nexus owner/lover here.

It always comes down to personal preferences, but for me, these Nexus phones are a huge step back from the N5. "Pure Android", something I've always held dear to my heart, really doesn't matter to me anymore. I really love most of the tweaks that Samsung built into the N5 UX and going back to "Pure" just wouldn't work for me any longer.

Then the cameras. There's plenty of PR happening now about the camera capabilities, but let's face it, Nexus cameras have always sucked - always way behind the pack. Maybe not this time, who knows? Too early to tell as of today. But, one thing I know for sure it that the camera in the N5 is at the head of the class. No guessing/hoping.

Regarding processors? Maybe the SD810 will transcend all of it's previous bad press. The SD808 is certainly less capable. The 64-bit Exynos octo-core just smokes the competition, and will be a very strong proc for quite some time to come.

So, I was actually hoping that Google would offer something that really turned my head, but for me, it's a swing-and-a-miss this year.

Happy to have the N5.
    Gray Area likes this.
    10-02-2015 08:13 AM
    I do not like the < back button placed on the far left of the phone, for right handers such as me it's a cumbersome reach for the thumb to back up a page....
    10-02-2015 09:33 AM
    I do not like the < back button placed on the far left of the phone, for right handers such as me it's a cumbersome reach for the thumb to back up a page....
    I am a right handed person and it isn't too bad. I adjusted fairly quickly .
    10-02-2015 09:35 AM
    Guys guys the note 5 is clearly a step ahead but are we being bias here since we all own note 5's?
    More like being ahead of ourselves. We're comparing a real phone in people's hands to a paper phone that won't be in people's hands for weeks. Using PR material to form opinions and conclusions is dangerous. Many a great paper phone has fallen apart when user feedback starts to roll in. The 6P could be fantastic. We're weeks away from knowing that.
    Gray Area and Oscar Maradiaga like this.
    10-02-2015 09:37 AM
    Long-time Nexus owner/lover here.

It always comes down to personal preferences, but for me, these Nexus phones are a huge step back from the N5. "Pure Android", something I've always held dear to my heart, really doesn't matter to me anymore. I really love most of the tweaks that Samsung built into the N5 UX and going back to "Pure" just wouldn't work for me any longer.

Then the cameras. There's plenty of PR happening now about the camera capabilities, but let's face it, Nexus cameras have always sucked - always way behind the pack. Maybe not this time, who knows? Too early to tell as of today. But, one thing I know for sure it that the camera in the N5 is at the head of the class. No guessing/hoping.

Regarding processors? Maybe the SD810 will transcend all of it's previous bad press. The SD808 is certainly less capable. The 64-bit Exynos octo-core just smokes the competition, and will be a very strong proc for quite some time to come.

So, I was actually hoping that Google would offer something that really turned my head, but for me, it's a swing-and-a-miss this year.

Happy to have the N5.
    Agreed on all points!

Posted via the modest yet efficient Lenovo Tab 2 A8 50
    on the Android Central App
    10-02-2015 10:14 AM
    I still have my Nexus 5 sitting in my drawer, and will pull it out and use on the 5th when Marshmallow is released for it(to try it out for a few days). Otherwise my Note 5 is my go to device.

I left a GalaxyS3 to get my Nexus 5-32, and immediately loved how "nude" Android was. My Nexus was great- but I wanted a change. I stayed on top of all the phones coming out, and the GS6 Active made me want to act. I almost pulled trigger on Asus Zenphone 2- glad I held off. My wife got a Moto G 3rd Gen and that was nice- thought I'd wait for the Moto X. I really wanted to hear/see the new Nexii.

One by one I crossed off things- the Asus cause its battery, the Moto X cause of its 808 chip. I heard the Nexus 5 would have the 808 chip, and then the 820 was not going to be ready. I didn't think the newer version 810 would cut it heat wise. the last straw for me was when I saw pics of the mockup of the Nexus 6- and saw the black "camera bar" across the back- it was revolting!

What sealed the deal for my Note- was that it was a high end phone- and really looked like a sexy beast. I did not care about the lack of removeable battery or storage- I've had a Nexus. Add in the $200 trade-in credit and the Note was MINE on launch day! To me the only real competition was the Nexus 6. However- no wireless charging, new cord USB-c. I will however miss the quick OS updates that were direct from Google- now that I have the Note.

No REGRETS!!!
    Chris
    Gray Area likes this.
    10-02-2015 07:41 PM
    I think there is an app for that

(Seriously, there is a tweak that can switch the layout.)

Sent from my Galaxy Note5 using Tapatalk
    10-02-2015 08:54 PM
41 12