Does anyone use this without a screen protector?

avantiel

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
How confident are you that Gorilla Glass 4 will not scratch from every day use? I'm a guy who normally puts his phone in his pocket and not in a bag or anything. I will greatly miss that glass feel unless i get the ugly tempered glass. But do you think a regular case would suffice?

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
How confident are you that Gorilla Glass 4 will not scratch from every day use? I'm a guy who normally puts his phone in his pocket and not in a bag or anything. I will greatly miss that glass feel unless i get the ugly tempered glass. But do you think a regular case would suffice?
I don't use a glass screen protector they look awful on the Note 5 i just use my UAG case and a normal screen protector that you can't even notice it, but glass screen is very noticeable.

Running On Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920A

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I have decided to go without a screen protector. This Zagg glass screen protector is the worst! I just got the phone last week and have had to have the screen protector changed twice with the same results. So today when I go into the store to return it and have it taken off my account the rep in so many told me there was nothing that he could do. So I basically was eating the $26 for a screen that's bubbling on the edges and looks bad. So I called CS and they credited my account for the inconvenience. I wish that I still had the screen protector on to show you how bad it looked smh.

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had smartphones for more than a decade. I've never used a case and ever since Gorilla Glass, I haven't used a screen protector. I've never broken a phone and all my phones have stayed in good enough condition for carrier trade-in upgrades. It does require caution, though.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I went with a zagg when i got the phone, but couldnt get rid if the bubbles or halos or whatever they are called around the edge of the screen. I had it installed at the store when i got it.

I took it back and they refunded my money.

I dont mind a naked screen, im always careful w the phone, i dont put anything in my pocket with it, so i am not really worried it.

The droid turbo was the first phone i put a screen protector on, and while i liked it i dont find its a necessity for me.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

avantiel

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
With my personal experience with an Xperia Z1, the screen got some sand on it and instead of blowing it off, i wiped it on my t-shirt which caused alot of micro scratches :(

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I was confident the Note 5 would be strong enough to go with out a screen protector.... Boy was I wrong, within a few days that I got the phone, the screen was scratched in the middle of the screen. I returned the phone and got a brand new from Verizon.
I am red rocking an expensive Zagg tempered glass with halos and all

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

HeavyToka

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't use a screen protector at all, and never have with any of my phones. I am far from gentle with my phones, and haven't had any issues with scratches.

Jglasgow

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't use a screen protector on mine either, I haven't used a screen protector since I first got my Nexus 6 when it released. I do have to say that I am on the T-mobile using the JUMP program so in my mind i'm only gonna have it for 6 months. I might be more inclined to use one if I was stuck with it for 2 years though.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
How did you scratch it? I don't use screen protectors and I go for years without even the slightest scratch.
I think I put some keys in my pocket while I had the phone there
The scratch on the phone was very small but it bothered me so much I had to get a new one. It took a few phone calls and a lot of stress from Verizon but I got a brand new phone.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I think I put some keys in my pocket while I had the phone there
The scratch on the phone was very small but it bothered me so much I had to get a new one. It took a few phone calls and a lot of stress from Verizon but I got a brand new phone.

I was getting ready to say wait..... You just walked into a Verizon store and got a new phone with no hassle? That would have been a first lol

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I am super careful about my phone... I rarely drop it...I rarely put my phone in situations where the screen is at risk of scratches...

That said, the keyword is "rarely"... "Never" is a big word, not to be used lightly...

As with everything else in life... The unsinkable is only unsinkable until someone sinks it... The unclimbable, unclimbable, and the unachievable, unachievable...

One has never dropped their phone until they do...and no one scratches their screen until they do...

I use both a case and a screen protector because of this...

JohnnytheK

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I've never scratched my screen but I've dropped and broken 2. The glass ones are nearly invisible, the plastic ones suck the bitter root of disappoint. I've had glass ones on my last 2 phones and they have survived drops. Once the screen protector cracked and I removed to find a perfect screen. I didn't replace it and when I dropped my phone again the screen shattered.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

djroy03

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Have always disliked screen protectors. My wife had me put one on her iPhone 6 Plus and I think it makes it look and feel cheap..or just plain bad. If you're careful with the phone and only put it in an empty pocket I'm sure you'll be fine. Mine is in my pocket everyday and no hairline scratches..knock on wood.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
One has never dropped their phone until they do...and no one scratches their screen until they do...

I use both a case and a screen protector because of this...

The question isn't whether one might eventually break their phone. The question is whether it happens so rarely that it costs less to replace it than it would cost to buy years or decades of protective accessories in order to avoid the rare occurrence.

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I hate screen protectors they just look awful. So I have been always using my phone's naked and I do already have a few micro scratches on my note 5. I'm assuming it's because I put my phone in my pocket with all naked. They are very small but in the right lighting you can see them. To me this is a small price to pay for not having an ugly case or screen protector.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Have always disliked screen protectors. My wife had me put one on her iPhone 6 Plus and I think it makes it look and feel cheap..or just plain bad. If you're careful with the phone and only put it in an empty pocket I'm sure you'll be fine. Mine is in my pocket everyday and no hairline scratches..knock on wood.

I agree that a completely naked phone looks phenomenal, and shows off the build of the phone... There is no substitute...

That said, I do know a lot of careful people who are carrying around phones with cracked screens because they dropped it on the corner once, and while their argument was that they drop their phones so infrequently that anytime they crack the screen, they will just bite the bullet and pay to get it fixed...rarely do they execute on that plan... They just carry around a cracked phone...and that looks cheap and plain bad too...

I have to admit...I admire people who can throw caution to the wind and carry around a naked phone... I love the look!!!

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The question isn't whether one might eventually break their phone. The question is whether it happens so rarely that it costs less to replace it than it would cost to buy years or decades of protective accessories in order to avoid the rare occurrence.

Good point... I spent $0.95 on my tempered glass, and $2.00 on my first case (though I have to admit, I have purchased about 8 cases on sale, just because I like the look of some of them...but I haven't spent more than $8.99 on any single case, and most of them were between $2 and $5)...

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Good point... I spent $0.95 on my tempered glass, and $2.00 on my first case (though I have to admit, I have purchased about 8 cases on sale, just because I like the look of some of them...but I haven't spent more than $8.99 on any single case, and most of them were between $2 and $5)...

Yup, that's certainly different from spending $50 every year or two. Still, even if protection were free, it might or might not be worth the bulk and the aesthetic penalty. Say on average you break a phone once every ten years, and say it's worth an average of $500 when it breaks, and say a case would prevent half of the breaks. Under those assumptions, you save on average only $25 per year by using protection (and less if the cost of the protection is included). Reasonable people could go either way. :)