Why wasn't there a CPU upgrade from the S6 for this year's Note?

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I want to buy the Note and I'm probably going to regardless but it feels like I'm buying an old phone since it still uses the S6's processor. My Note 3 had the Snapdragon 800 over the S4's Snapdragon 600, and with the Note 5's battery being shrunk as well, along with it having that absurd glass back (The only thing worse than tacky plastic), it seems like I'm getting screwed. Now I know most of you will say the processor doesn't matter so long as it's smooth etc etc, but here in America we like to have the best.

pamelany80

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree that the chip is a beast, however at the same time the Note 5 was released 5 months after the S6, with that much time gone by they should have had a newer model of the processor however small the difference there should have been a newer chip imo, 5 months is 1 year in android time.

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
The eynxos 7420 is a beast. ..couple with.4 gigs ram...those phone flys

Posted via the Android Central App

Don't 64 bit apps take up like double the RAM? I wonder if the 3GB on my 32 bit Note 3 might be better with RAM for that reason. And yeah most modern processors can be called beasts. My Note 3's Snapdragon 800 is probably still a beast; but that's not what matters to me. I want the best. And I don't just want what is the best available on the market currently. If there's nothing better than the 7420 available atm, then I want the processor that should have been but isn't. Such is the struggle for greatness.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps it wasn't necessary.
People have this belief that larger number means better performance. That isn't always the case.
Smartphone tech has pretty much topped out, more is just for marketing not true performance gain.
Not to mention, higher processing speeds more than likely come with higher temps and battery drain.

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps it wasn't necessary.
People have this belief that larger number means better performance. That isn't always the case.
Smartphone tech has pretty much topped out, more is just for marketing not true performance gain.
Not to mention, higher processing speeds more than likely come with higher temps and battery drain.

It is words like yours which sound the death knell of once great empires. Contentment in mediocrity, complacency in innovation, retreat in the face of challenge.

We can do better.

sprungson

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The most adequate phone ever = the greatest. First time ever I have nothing to complain about a phone.

All, I'm thinking of buying a note pro to compliment my phone with the price reduction. I hear no rumors of a new one coming out. Thoughts?

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
The most adequate phone ever = the greatest. First time ever I have nothing to complain about a phone.

All, I'm thinking of buying a note pro to compliment my phone with the price reduction. I hear no rumors of a new one coming out. Thoughts?

You wouldn't complain about the glass back? I mean even if you think it's gorgeous, it just seems like the most absurd design trend of all time (Thanks Apple). It would sound like a joke if it wasn't real. "Let's make a device people bring around and handle everywhere they go and often put into potentially damaging situations, OUT OF GLASS!"

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
It is words like yours which sound the death knell of once great empires. Contentment in mediocrity, complacency in innovation, retreat in the face of challenge.

We can do better.

If you have a quad core processor that never reaches it's max there is no point in more processing power, but more can lead to negative impact.
As technology changes and more is needed, that's the time to implement it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
If you have a quad core processor that never reaches it's max there is no point in more processing power, but more can lead to negative impact.
As technology changes and more is needed, that's the time to implement it.

The wise man builds his home to withstand the coming winter. The fool thinks the wise man a glutton, and freezes to death.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You wouldn't complain about the glass back? I mean even if you think it's gorgeous, it just seems like the most absurd design trend of all time (Thanks Apple). It would sound like a joke if it wasn't real. "Let's make a device people bring around and handle everywhere they go and often put into potentially damaging situations, OUT OF GLASS!"

People complained about a plastic phone. People them complaining about a glass phone. People complained about how ugly the Droid was with this great build that didn't ever need a case. People complain about how fat phones are with a high powered battery, or an extra battery that was placed on the back of the phone to extend battery. People complained about the cheap, flimsy removable back because of a replaceable battery. Then they complain how thin it is because of no replaceable battery, but no flimsy back. Yada, Yada, Yada.

So find a phone that fits that majority of your needs and be happy.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
People complained about a plastic phone. People them complaining about a glass phone. People complained about how ugly the Droid was with this great build that didn't ever need a case. People complain about how fat phones are with a high powered battery, or an extra battery that was placed on the back of the phone to extend battery. People complained about the cheap, flimsy removable back because of a replaceable battery. Then they complain how thin it is because of no replaceable battery, but no flimsy back. Yada, Yada, Yada.

So find a phone that fits that majority of your needs and be happy.

Posted via the *Note 5*

This is a separate issue from everything you just mentioned. This isn't about quibbling over trade-offs and preferences. There is no sane human on this Earth who would support making a phone out of glass. Such a concept reaches into the realm of absurdity. There are bounds of reason for all things and this crosses those bounds.

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This is a separate issue from everything you just mentioned. This isn't about quibbling over trade-offs and preferences. There is no sane human on this Earth who would support making a phone out of glass. Such a concept reaches into the realm of absurdity. There are bounds of reason for all things and this crosses those bounds.

I have absolutely zero problems with the phone being made of glass.

What needs to change is the way people more and more seem to think of their phone as just another "thing" to be put into a pocket and sat on, tossed onto a desk, handed to the crying 2-year-old to keep them busy, etc.

It is mind boggling to me how many people I know who have phones with broken screens, taped together backs, scratches all over the place, etc.

There are luxury cars and there are work trucks.

These types of phones are not intended to be work trucks...

James8561

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
what's wrong with the Exynos 7420 anyway? it's still is the fastest chip in any phone by a large margin while using the least power and producing little heat.
Why would you want a faster chip that will burn more battery?

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Good question. Not one that anyone on this forum can answer though so I'm not sure what answer you are looking for. I'm assuming Samsung did it to keep costs down. The processor is the best one available right now though....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34