12-17-2016 07:56 AM
38 12
tools
    does the Note 5 have a built-in RAM manager or task manager? if so, where is it?
    Or "Active applications" widget, like on the old S5 or Note phones.

Thanks!
    10-01-2015 10:20 AM
    does the Note 5 have a built-in RAM manager or task manager? if so, where is it?
    Or "Active applications" widget, like on the old S5 or Note phones.

Thanks!
    You really don't need a RAM or task manager, you will end up hurting more than helping. Android handles RAM very well now, in fact Android runs better with a fuller RAM. Since my Note 4, I keep about 10 things open and running all the time.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    10-01-2015 10:29 AM
    If you tap the menu button to the left of your Home button it will show all active Applications.
    10-01-2015 10:33 AM
    Is this what's you're looking for? Left screenshot is the bundled Smart Manager to manage Battery, RAM, Storage and KNOX and on the right is the scrollable Task Manager (left of Home button).

does the Note 5 have a built-in RAM manager or task manager? if so, where is it?-unnamed.jpg
    Frozen Corpse likes this.
    10-02-2015 12:09 AM
    Is this what's you're looking for? Left screenshot is the bundled Smart Manager to manage Battery, RAM, Storage and KNOX and on the right is the scrollable Task Manager (left of Home button).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	199533
    Don't use that though.. Mine has Clean Master installed, hidden, and it uses that. Worst thing any carriers did was put Cheetah Mobile on the phones.
    Crashdamage and tippmann15 like this.
    10-02-2015 12:52 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	199533
    bundled? you mean your Note 5 came with it? I can't seem to find it on mine...
    10-02-2015 01:42 AM
    bundled? you mean your Note 5 came with it? I can't seem to find it on mine...
    Yes. App came with the phone.
    10-02-2015 01:45 AM
    Don't use that though.. Mine has Clean Master installed, hidden, and it uses that. Worst thing any carriers did was put Cheetah Mobile on the phones.
    Mine's international non carrier model. The Smart Manager app (yes, Storage component is powered by Clean Master) is Samsung bundled and cannot be uninstalled. Of all apps, they include Calculator that can be uninstalled
    10-02-2015 01:53 AM
    I only really used that task app to kill Google music every 10 minute, man that thing liked to sneak in.

Now I just use package disabler pro and share the load of my daily driver with my g4.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    10-02-2015 08:20 AM
    Question (seriously) - why the concern?
    I use the Active Apps button to the left of home if I want to close something.
    I disabled or uninstalled apps/services I don't want or need.
    I get a day + on mine with normal use.

Why would you need a task manager? Or ... what am i missing?
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    10-02-2015 08:48 AM
    Mine's international non carrier model. The Smart Manager app (yes, Storage component is powered by Clean Master) is Samsung bundled and cannot be uninstalled. Of all apps, they include Calculator that can be uninstalled
    You disable the Cheetah Mobile with Package Disabler Pro, which is what I have done.
    Attached Thumbnails does the Note 5 have a built-in RAM manager or task manager? if so, where is it?-1443794393793.jpg  
    Crashdamage and JanShim like this.
    10-02-2015 09:00 AM
    I would suggest not cleaning the RAM or cleaning files with that built in app. Being powered by Clean Master, I wouldn't use it especially. Task killer and RAM cleaners really do more harm than good these days.
    10-02-2015 09:03 AM
    For much more information about why Clean Master is so bad here's some information. The first link will make you think again about installing or using anything from Cheetah Mobile. An article where the CM CMO says CM is a "data company" and the 'M' in CM stands for monetization. Meaning turning your stolen data into their money.

http://androidforums.com/threads/cac.../#post-7001396

These links are information regarding why closing apps and clearing RAM is unnecessary and actually poor practice:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=4646073

http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...ml#post4646043

http://androidforums.com/threads/put...e-like.896663/

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001
    10-02-2015 10:01 AM
    I was able to just un-install Clean Master through the normal method. I have the AT&T version. Are there some Note 5's that are unable to do this?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.
    10-02-2015 10:28 AM
    I was able to just un-install Clean Master through the normal method. I have the AT&T version. Are there some Note 5's that are unable to do this?

My TMO one can't, because it isn't the Clean Master app, it is a system app attached to that task and security app.
    10-02-2015 10:35 AM
    ^Thanks for the response. I was not aware of that.

10-02-2015 10:36 AM
    I miss the active apps widget on the note 4 and before. Very simple app which told you which apps are active and how much power each one is using. But unfortunately it isn't in the note 5. The recent apps button doesn't provide the same info

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    10-02-2015 01:57 PM
    Why are you even talking about a task manager on this phone. Samsung is too aggressive in ram management on this phone and shortly after you leave an app its thread is killed. You can quick lauch on recent apps, but the app is gone from memory. There are several videos showing this for the note 5.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-02-2015 02:00 PM
    I miss the active apps widget on the note 4 and before. Very simple app which told you which apps are active and how much power each one is using. But unfortunately it isn't in the note 5. The recent apps button doesn't provide the same info

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    I have this widget.
    Attached Thumbnails does the Note 5 have a built-in RAM manager or task manager? if so, where is it?-1443817417637.jpg   does the Note 5 have a built-in RAM manager or task manager? if so, where is it?-1443817434972.jpg  
    10-02-2015 03:23 PM
    I have this widget.
    I have the Verizon Note 5. I can't believe there's almost no bloatware apps/widgets...
    10-02-2015 03:31 PM
    I would suggest not cleaning the RAM or cleaning files with that built in app. Being powered by Clean Master, I wouldn't use it especially. Task killer and RAM cleaners really do more harm than good these days.
    Just read this thread and found it all a little disconcerting
    @KellyKearns are you saying that the bundled Smart Manager, since it's surreptitiously mining data for Cheetah Mobile, shouldn't be used at all? The Package Disabler Pro that you mentioned, is that a downloadalbe app yeah? Do you you use it to disable Smart Manager or just the Cheetah Mobile stuff?

And so how to keep your phone in tip top running condition, what's the alternative to task managers and RAM cleanes? You seem to be saying that you should just let Android get on with it and leave any and all apps open and running, am I reading you correctly?
    Sorry for all the questions, I'm a Note noob and just want to keep my prized possession free of any nastiness
    10-02-2015 07:29 PM
    Just use Package Disabler to disable Cheetah Mobile stuff, yes.

Yes, let Android take care of business. Please, read this:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=4646043

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-02-2015 07:40 PM
    Just read this thread and found it all a little disconcerting
    @KellyKearns are you saying that the bundled Smart Manager, since it's surreptitiously mining data for Cheetah Mobile, shouldn't be used at all? The Package Disabler Pro that you mentioned, is that a downloadalbe app yeah? Do you you use it to disable Smart Manager or just the Cheetah Mobile stuff?

And so how to keep your phone in tip top running condition, what's the alternative to task managers and RAM cleanes? You seem to be saying that you should just let Android get on with it and leave any and all apps open and running, am I reading you correctly?
    Sorry for all the questions, I'm a Note noob and just want to keep my prized possession free of any nastiness
    Just the Cheetah Mobile because displaying your battery information on your phone, the percentage and being able to open the details, is tied to that Smart Manager.

Like crashdamage said, let Android take care of the RAM. If you start slowing down you might want to clear the cache, but I rarely ever do that. I used to have to do that a pit with my Note 2, did it with my Note 3. Don't know if that was habit or it needed to be, but stopped with my S5. Don't think of it like Windows or iPhone where a full RAM is bad. Android seems to love to have a little RAM filled up.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-02-2015 10:16 PM
    AT&T removed that Smart Manager Which they did the Smart Thing!
    10-02-2015 10:20 PM
    Let me show you something and I have it running light right now. This is what I have open and always have this open. But.. Look at my number at the top of my chrome. That is light. I open links all the time and never close. I've gotten to the point it doesn't show a number.
    Attached Thumbnails does the Note 5 have a built-in RAM manager or task manager? if so, where is it?-1443842526407.jpg   does the Note 5 have a built-in RAM manager or task manager? if so, where is it?-1443842568496.jpg  
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-02-2015 10:22 PM
38 12