10-12-2015 12:02 AM
39 12
tools
    are you afraid of letting friends/family/co-workers borrow your Note 5 because of the S-Pen issue?

I always take care of my phone as much as possible. I can't picture myself ever inserting the S-Pen backwards.

However, it's a different story when letting family/friends/co-workers borrow my phone(or other gadgets) Last year, my #2 best friend borrowed my new $4800 DSLR and managed to drop it on the concrete driveway just two minutes later. Repair bill was $1692(including replacing the cracked lens). Good thing I had SquareTrade and they paid for it... it was later repaired to as good as new by Canon service center. (note: this is not an endorsement of SquareTrade, as I was not happy about how long it took for my claim to be processed) Needless to say, my #2 best friend has since been demoted to the standby best friend list.(just below the "friends who drive Volvos" list.
    10-01-2015 01:16 PM
    Friends don't ask friends to use their phone.

Problem solved.
    NatalieB2015, Furt and kikaha like this.
    10-01-2015 01:28 PM
    Friends don't ask friends to use their phone.

Problem solved.
    This, basically... no need to loan my phone to anyone...
    10-01-2015 01:43 PM
    This, basically... no need to loan my phone to anyone...
    Not only that but why would they need to use the S-Pen for?

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5
    kikaha likes this.
    10-01-2015 01:44 PM
    I would loan my phone to a friend if they were in need. I don't know about this s pen issue. It is more of a user neglect issue.
    kikaha likes this.
    10-01-2015 02:43 PM
    I would loan my phone to a friend if they were in need. I don't know about this s pen issue. It is more of a user neglect issue.
    It just occurred to me that the solution is quite simply: just take out the S-Pen and hide it in a safe place before handing the Note 5 to them. If they ask, I'll probably just say something like "oh.. sorry, I forgot to charge the S-Pen, so it's not working... but you can use the Note 5 by itself just fine..."
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    10-01-2015 02:56 PM
    Use my phone? That's like asking to use my car. I'll dial the number and hold it to their ear if necessary. Pshhhttt...use my phone!

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-01-2015 02:58 PM
    I'd be more concerned about exposing my personal content to my friend, then worried about the s-pen being inserted upside down...

I don't have criminal or unethical stuff on my phone...but personal text messages, email messages, etc...it all has the potential of containing sensitive information...

The fact that my refusal to allow people to borrow my phone ensures that my s-pen will not get stuck is merely a bonus...
    10-01-2015 03:05 PM
    I don't have a Note 5 but I wouldn't worry. A friend would only be asking me to make a call -- I would hand it over and they could make their call. No need for the pen.
    10-01-2015 03:59 PM
    All of my friends have their own phones and I would never hand my phone to a child to just play with it.

If in a emergency that requires someone who needs to make a call and can't on theirs, I would call for them and place the call on the speaker phone and hold it for them. My immediate family knows not to play around with my phone.

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig Black Sapphire leather wrapped Note 5
    10-01-2015 05:01 PM
    Never, no one touches my phone. And if they do I have Applock on my apps, so no prying eyes can see my selfies

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    10-01-2015 05:06 PM
    Hahaha! All my family and friends are like me, smart and trustworthy, because that is how I roll. Any of them can use my phone whenever they want.

My niece and sister have fingerprints registered on my phone and know my password.
    10-01-2015 05:46 PM
    My 7 and 5 year old love to draw pictures with the Spen and they can put it back just fine.....
    debdroid1a likes this.
    10-01-2015 06:10 PM
    All of my friends have their own phones and I would never hand my phone to a child to just play with it.

If in a emergency that requires someone who needs to make a call and can't on theirs, I would call for them and place the call on the speaker phone and hold it for them. My immediate family knows not to play around with my phone.

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig Black Sapphire leather wrapped Note 5
    I like the speaker phone idea. I had a neighbor who's husband was on pain killers and didn't respond well and she had to call the cops. Then she gave her dad my cell phone number. So I'm standing there with the police and her and finally said if he calls I'll bring the phone to her (I always feel uncomfortable around the police even though I don't do anything illegal). She still was holding onto it at that point. The police were going to take her somewhere anyway if her dad didn't come soon. I think the excuse "it's a security issue" especially since I'm using it for work more.

About the Spen. If they don't know it's there, don't tell them. If they know instruct them, remind them or just say "I'll put the pen in when you're done, don't worry about it." Most won't use it unless they have a Note, I'd think.
    10-01-2015 06:28 PM
    I'd be more concerned about exposing my personal content to my friend, then worried about the s-pen being inserted upside down...

I don't have criminal or unethical stuff on my phone...but personal text messages, email messages, etc...it all has the potential of containing sensitive information...

The fact that my refusal to allow people to borrow my phone ensures that my s-pen will not get stuck is merely a bonus...
    I agree with you. But these days you would be surprise that a lot of people don't know a lot of ethics.

10-02-2015 11:34 AM
    I did and the sensor messed up when I took it out...

10-02-2015 11:58 AM
    I don't have a problem loaning my phone momentarily to a trust family member. All of my family members are aware of the S pen issue so it's not a problem. They also never take it out of my sight.

Posted for my Galaxy Note 5 with a properly inserted S Pen!
    10-02-2015 03:25 PM
    My friends and family are different than some stranger on the street.

Friends and family could use my phone overnight if needed.
    10-02-2015 03:34 PM

10-04-2015 10:12 PM
    I should probably say "no"

But **** happens, I lent my note5 to my friend's child to play around, just with a glimpse, he slip the s pen upside down

So, be aware ....

Posted via the Android Central App #Galnote5
    10-10-2015 07:31 PM
    I will let my 2 year old and 5 year old draw on my phone with the spen. It's just a phone.

I feel your pain though. I got a $200 Benchmade knife. I let a friend handle it. He immediately drops it on the concrete and damages the blade.

10-10-2015 08:01 PM
    I did and the sensor messed up when I took it out...

So there is a fix for it without having to take it apart?
    10-10-2015 08:21 PM
    I should probably say "no"

But **** happens, I lend my note5 for my friend's child to play around, just with a glimpse, he slip the s pen upside down

So, be aware ....

Posted via the Android Central App #Galnote5
    I didn't know how to my company's COO when she wanted to borrow my new Note5. We were on the company jet together and there was nowhere to run. It worked perfectly with the onboard wifi(almost 10 times faster than than the onboard wifi that I got when I flew United or American) She didn't hand the phone back to me until the plane landed at Teterboro. First thing I did was to check to see if the S-Pen was ever inserted backwards... no.. it was still working fine.

What could I have done? If I said "no"(even politely), I would probably be without a job pretty soon. (either that or I'll have to sleep with her or something)
    10-10-2015 08:23 PM
    No one uses my phone. No one. No one.
    10-11-2015 09:48 AM
    No one uses my phone. No one. No one.
    so if you were in my situation(post #24 above), you wouldn't have given your boss the phone? I'm a coward and I don't have courage to say no... not to the COO anyway... on the other hand, I guess I just can't say no to a hot and mature lady.(i.e. Mrs. Robinson type)
    10-11-2015 12:30 PM
39 12