View Poll Results: Do you think Samsung will revamp the S6 and Note devices for 2016?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 47.83%
  • No

10 43.48%
  • Other (comment below)

2 8.70%
10-05-2015 10:12 AM
87 1234
tools
    Still have my Note 3. No compelling reason to change to Note 4 nor 5. I was thinking of switching to Note 4 because it will be supported a lot longer but then I would still need to find a remote charging back and an extra battery. I already have that on Note 3. My Note 3 also has separate LTE and CDMA radios so I can always surf web and talk on phone simultaneously even in 3G areas.

I can see Note 5 has a much nicer screen than Note 3 but despite superior specs the Note 4 screen is not discernibly better than Note 3 to my eyes. I would love to have the extra ram of the Note 5 and the nicer screen but I hate losing battery swaps and sd card memory. I don't like the protruding camera nor the glass back. I leave bluetooth wifi and gps on all the time and sync everything so the small note 5 battery doesn't cut it...and then there is the huge price tag. It's a shame. I would love the extra ram and gorgeous screen and it would be fun to have a new phone. No other manufacturers provide all of the Samsung features I like so no options there. Too bad really.
    CehowardNote7 likes this.
    10-03-2015 11:12 PM
    The Note 5 battery actually does better than the Note 4 battery.

AT&T and TMO have voice and data without two radios and now Verizon has it with Advanced Calling.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    10-03-2015 11:15 PM
    Still have my Note 3. No compelling reason to change to Note 4 nor 5. I was thinking of switching to Note 4 because it will be supported a lot longer but then I would still need to find a remote charging back and an extra battery. I already have that on Note 3. My Note 3 also has separate LTE and CDMA radios so I can always surf web and talk on phone simultaneously even in 3G areas.

I can see Note 5 has a much nicer screen than Note 3 but despite superior specs the Note 4 screen is not discernibly better than Note 3 to my eyes. I would love to have the extra ram of the Note 5 and the nicer screen but I hate losing battery swaps and sd card memory. I don't like the protruding camera nor the glass back. I leave bluetooth wifi and gps on all the time and sync everything so the small note 5 battery doesn't cut it...and then there is the huge price tag. It's a shame. I would love the extra ram and gorgeous screen and it would be fun to have a new phone. No other manufacturers provide all of the Samsung features I like so no options there. Too bad really.
    Then don't buy one.... Problem solved.

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig Black Sapphire leather wrapped Note 5
    anon(5630457) likes this.
    10-04-2015 12:04 AM
    I leave bluetooth wifi and gps on all the time and sync everything so the small note 5 battery doesn't cut it...
    So do I, and the "small" (smaller by a mere 200 mah) Note 5 battery far exceeds the battery life I was getting on my Note 3. The technology improvements over the last two years allow the Note 5 to get better battery life from a smaller battery... I'm not sure why so many people aren't grasping this
    10-04-2015 05:06 AM
    I leave bluetooth wifi and gps on all the time and sync everything so the small note 5 battery doesn't cut it...and then there is the huge price tag.
    Oh I missed this.

Yeah, I do that too with all my phones.
    10-04-2015 07:18 AM
    In a poll a few weeks after the Note 5 was introduced, most people said
    Seriously? "Most people?" I don't consider a nine page thread on a technical forum where half the posts are from the same half dozen people a poll.

Here's what the masses care about and it's not the things being complained about in this thread...

debdroid1a likes this.
    10-04-2015 08:25 AM
    I felt similar to the OP when Sammy first announced it (not nearly as passionate) since I have owned every version.

For the record, I have used the extra battery kit since the Note 3 so the replaceable battery for me was huge. So I know from experience that swapping batteries really does change the way you use the phone. Going from 0 to 100 in under 30 secs is awesome! As far as the SD card I had a 128 gig installed and barely really used it but it was nice to know if I needed it it was there.

So why did I upgrade? Once lollipop was installed the phone sucked! Period. It was laggy, the battery started to die with 15% left (Check that the battery was good but the phone would shut down) etc etc... It's a shame because pre-lollipop the phone was damn near perfect!! I was very apprehensive about moving to the note 5 but trust me when I say... This is easily the best Note yet.. To make up for the battery being locked in I bought the terribly overpriced fast wireless charging thingy... I like it alot. Also I bought the terribly overpriced fast charging battery pack which works great. Sammy has crush my wallet but I think those 2 help soften the removable battery situation.

What I'm saying is... You may think you won't like the note 5 but if you use it for some solid time it will be easy to see its way better than the 4...oh yeah Samsung Pay is freaking awesome! I paid with a CC at a vending machine the other day. That's worth the upgrade right there IMO.

Posted via the Android Central App
    debdroid1a and kj11 like this.
    10-04-2015 09:38 AM
    Agreed. If we were getting these complaints from people who actually own the phone, he'd have a point.

Personally, I think the problem is, there are folks who despite their reservations, realize that this is still the best phone currently on the market, and it's causing some frustration.

They want to hate it for what it lacks, but still secretly desire it.

Katrina White1 and kj11 like this.
    10-04-2015 10:38 AM
    It's a shame because pre-lollipop the phone was damn near perfect!!

No it wasn't. The GPS was hit or miss, opening and working with resource intensive apps like Gallery and S Note were painfully slow, battery life the way I used it didn't get me through the day, and the chamfered metal edges looked beat up after three months of careful use. I had all the Notes except the original and they were all strong phones but each had their strengths and weaknesses.

The Note 5's weaknesses the way I see it are the loss of some settings and features (EG: Side Panel), the flexibility of expandable storage, the peace of mind of replaceable batteries, and the fragility of the glass back panel (its already cost me $75 to replace). Its strengths? It's wicked fast no matter what you throw at it, I get 30% better battery life, fast wireless charging is brilliant, Samsung Pay is a killer app, Samsung’s apps and the UI are for once streamlined and consistent and its design is beautiful.

When I traveled internationally with my Note 4 I relied on a small 2A 10K mAh Samsung battery pack rather than buying and having to charge replaceable batteries that you realize you forgot to charge when you insert one when you need it most and it's empty. I'll rely on my battery pack with the Note 5 as well. As for storage I loaded all my entertainment for 14 hour plane flights on my 64GB Wi-Drive which lets me access it or stream it to both my phone and Note 12. Same thing for large work files. Nothing's changed there either.

Maybe some here need SD cards and replaceable batteries but it's not like there aren't plenty of workable alternatives available. Apple and Nexus users were making it work for years when there were fewer alternatives that cost more.

People saying previous Notes were better than the Note 5 haven't used one for an extended period of time. And if you absolutely need replaceable batteries or expandable storage there's no need to consider the Note 5 in the first place.

Almost everything being discussed here is a YMMV.
    10-04-2015 11:03 AM
    Seriously? "Most people?" I don't consider a nine page thread on a technical forum where half the posts are from the same half dozen people a poll.

Here's what the masses care about and it's not the things being complained about in this thread...

Seriously, BarryH_GEG. You obviously don't know what a poll is. It asks respondents to choose between several options and that poll did. And most respondents said they would have chosen the Note 4 over the Note 5. You may not like nor agree with the results but that is a poll and that is what the poll results are.

Also, please note, that no one is saying that the results reflect the feelings or preferences of everyone. But it does show that the original poster's not alone with his concerns and complaints. The Note 5 is a very good phone, I think so; but it has it's shortcomings compared to the phones that came before it. With a glass back (which you've admitted has already cost you $75 to replace) and without a replaceable battery, expandable storage and no Smart Select OCR, for many owners of previous generations of Note phablets there is just no compelling reason to upgrade (save for maybe Samsung Pay).

YMMV, BarryH_GEG, but don't throw a hissy-fit with those who don't.
    10-04-2015 12:17 PM
    There's phones out there for your type of work. Have you checked out the S6 active? Huge battery, made to take bumps.

I love my Note5 and the way it is.

Btw, this site doesn't represent the masses. What the masses want, the masses get.
    10-04-2015 12:41 PM
    There's phones out there for your type of work. Have you checked out the S6 active? Huge battery, made to take bumps.

I love my Note5 and the way it is.

Btw, this site doesn't represent the masses. What the masses want, the masses get.
    I was thinking the exact same thing.... The s6 Active is a great phone but since it is only available for the GSM might not be a viable alternative for many.

I too feel most people who are complaining have never used the Note 5 nor want to, instead they have damed the phone because of their reluctance to change their own perspective about actual needs.

Those of us who have the Note 5 know full well that the battery is better than Any previous Note. We also know that we can utilize the same SD cards we currently have as well as any cloud storage.

The vast majority of complaints are coming from people who are mad at Samsung for removing some feature that they wanted on it... I get that... I was the exact same way... and I even voted as such.. But I can honestly state that was before seeing exactly what this phone is capable of and seeing if I could utilize it first hand.

10-04-2015 01:17 PM
    Well a poll at Android Central isn't most people, not even close to most people. Also many people don't venture into the Phone Wars forum because they don't want to argue about phones.

Also I would suggest that everyone be extra careful when posting in this thread. These threads have escalated to becoming personal and that will get a thread shut down, quickly.. My two cents.
    10-04-2015 01:19 PM
    So manufacturers are trying to make a profit. This is there business, and they respond to consumer buying habits. So if camera hardware disproportionately drives sales, they'll upgrade the camera but not the RAM . . . because people will buy it. It's all about how you define what a "better" phone is. A consumer may look at it as a set of specs, a price point, etc. The manufacturer considers "better" to be what sells the most product.

So that's why I'll probably buy an LG V10, since it seems to be the last flagship phone with a removable battery. Ironically, it's also why I bought a 5X. I like the Nexus concept, and I want to support unlocked phones which can be used with any carrier (even if it doesn't have a removable battery!).
    10-04-2015 01:21 PM
    I would also challenge those complaining about the glass back to back it up with instances of broken or shattered backs on the Note 5 or even the earlier released s6.

My Note 5 feels sturdier than my Note 3 was.

10-04-2015 01:23 PM
    So manufacturers are trying to make a profit. This is there business, and they respond to consumer buying habits. So if camera hardware disproportionately drives sales, they'll upgrade the camera but not the RAM . . . because people will buy it. It's all about how you define what a "better" phone is. A consumer may look at it as a set of specs, a price point, etc. The manufacturer considers "better" to be what sells the most product.

So that's why I'll probably buy an LG V10, since it seems to be the last flagship phone with a removable battery. Ironically, it's also why I bought a 5X. I like the Nexus concept, and I want to support unlocked phones which can be used with any carrier (even if it doesn't have a removable battery!).
    I do agree with this. The Note 5 will likely be my last carrier phone.

10-04-2015 01:25 PM
    I was thinking the exact same thing.... The s6 Active is a great phone but since it is only available for the GSM might not be a viable alternative for many.

I too feel most people who are complaining have never used the Note 5 nor want to, instead they have damed the phone because of their reluctance to change their own perspective about actual needs.

Those of us who have the Note 5 know full well that the battery is better than Any previous Note. We also know that we can utilize the same SD cards we currently have as well as any cloud storage.

The vast majority of complaints are coming from people who are mad at Samsung for removing some feature that they wanted on it... I get that... I was the exact same way... and I even voted as such.. But I can honestly state that was before seeing exactly what this phone is capable of and seeing if I could utilize it first hand.

Exactly. The Note5 is made of glass. If it doesn't suit your job needs, don't get it. It really is that simple. There are other phones out there to suit one's necessities in the workplace.
    10-04-2015 01:52 PM
    You obviously don't know what a poll is.
    A poll of let's say 20 people some with strong biases isn't a poll. Samsung will sell 10M Note 5's over twelve months. Do you really think 20 people on a single technical forum represent the buying sentiment of 10M people? Sorry, but I don't.

Samsung knew dropping certain features would cause them to lose a subset of purchasers. But they probably spent a couple of hundred thousand in market research to compare the loss to the potential gain. Things discussed here emotionally have nothing to do with how real world business decisions are made.

Someone mentioned LG. Great option for those that feel disenfranchised by Samsung. Lamenting Samsung's decisions here isn't going to change a thing and it seems most in this thread are fine with them, own the Note 5 because of or in spite of them, and have the same historic Note experience as most commenting so negatively. And no, I don't consider this thread representative or a poll.
    10-04-2015 01:55 PM
    Except...they want this phone, but on their own terms. It's the strangest sort of denial.

I never get that attached to any particular company that I can't go elsewhere to get what I want. I've been through Samsung, Apple, LG, HTC ect... in just the last few years. Each one offering something that I needed at the time.

kj11 likes this.
    10-04-2015 01:58 PM
    Except...they want this phone, but on their own terms. It's the strangest sort of denial.

I never get that attached to any particular company that I can't go elsewhere to get what I want. I've been through Samsung, Apple, LG, HTC ect... in just the last few years. Each one offering something that I needed at the time.

Bingo...

10-04-2015 04:35 PM

My gear 2 and Samsung Smart TV kind of hook me to Sammy.
    CehowardNote7 likes this.
    10-04-2015 09:12 PM
    LOL. Every phone is a set of compromises and no phone is going to be perfect for everyone. Lot's of people think the Note 5 is just fine for their needs. If it doesn't fit yours, there are lots of other phones available to choose from.
    10-04-2015 09:40 PM
    LG V10!!!!!!
    10-04-2015 09:51 PM
    Seriously... What is the big deal with external storage?

I mean I could understand this if a person was rooted and running a custom rom where you can run all kinds of apps off the SD card, but there are millions of people not doing this anymore. You can run music, videos, store photos, maps and just about anything else these days... Yes I am aware that it is a inconvenience, but really just how much of one?

I know people have different needs, but complaining just for the sake of complaining is wrong about this phone. If I have a actual need to have GPS on all day... To do so on any smartphone is silly. Use the best tool for the job at hand. If my Note 3 (if I still owned it) worked better for my needs... I wouldn't care about upgrading. If the Note 5 didn't meet my needs( and BTW it does) I would find the best solution for them.

Samsung builds for the majority not the minority and while I don't agree with everything they do I at least look at the phone and see if it can work without all the rehashed drama where it does no good.

Bottom line is if you don't like it or if it won't work for your needs, don't buy it and get what you need..

Not being a nit picker, but that gizmo is EXTRA BULK.. Who wants gizmos hanging off the side of their phones? Plus, there is the danger of loss, falling off and other damage.. Whereas, the internal sd card, is safely inside, no bulk, and 256, and 512 sd cards are on the horizon. The 200gb sd cards are here now, but price high..

I keep a ton of flac music files, hd movies, personal vids, pictures all on my 128gb sd card.

The cloud, IMO, is not all that good as far as security, and the extra moves to get to it.

There are different schools on thought on this subject, and it boils down to the user's needs.

What works for you, doesn't work for me, and visa versa, and we all be correct..

I am staying with the Note 4, and they really couldn't pay me to get a Note 5, even if it was free, an they paid me too..
    monsieurms likes this.
    10-05-2015 04:04 AM
    Well a poll at Android Central isn't most people, not even close to most people. Also many people don't venture into the Phone Wars forum because they don't want to argue about phones.

Also I would suggest that everyone be extra careful when posting in this thread. These threads have escalated to becoming personal and that will get a thread shut down, quickly.. My two cents.
    Good points..

BTW, are the sales data for the Note 5 out yet?

Comparing sales data of the Note 4 to the Note 5, would give a good pulse on the what the buying public has to say about these two phones, and the results wouldn't be biased, just plain facts..

Speaking only for myself, I jumped head first into getting a Note 4, and leaving my Note 3. Not that I needed to, because the Note 3 was purring like a kitten. But, since the Note 4 was rumored to be better than the Note 3(and keep all the features, and added some), no matter how slightly, fanboys like me jumped at the first site of the Note 4..

However, the same crowd I am talking about that jumped to the Note 4 from the Note 3, didn't budge when it came to the jumping to the Note 5...that is a sizable crowd too.
    10-05-2015 04:38 AM
87 1234