Note 5 What was Samsung thinking?!

Do you think Samsung will revamp the S6 and Note devices for 2016?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
How do you possibly recommend the Note 5 to someone like myself who does HVAC (AC work) from 7am to 7pm and uses my phone as a GPS (eats up my battery like a boss), flashlight, music player, phone (of course), app machine (for work apps), camera (for pics of jobs and to confirm jobs, estimates, etc), Notes (takes Notes on my Note 3 for addresses, specs, measurements, etc) and more?! That was the whole point of the Note series was a productivity phone with a huge behemoth screen and battery to make it work all day, throw in the kitchen sink and you've got a Note device! Not anymore with their fragile glass Note 5 with a tiny nonremovable battery. My Note 3 has taken heavy hits on roofs, metal, concrete and with a tiny thin Siedio case and a glass screen protector I have been saved! I think not on a dual glass phone! I have my Note 3 and will continue to use it, and you know what I can because I can change my battery whenever I want and add storage when I run out! In my book 32GB + 256GB (288GB) beats a crappy 64GB Note 5 any day of the week! Samsung has taken a hit as their phones haven't been selling and it's not hard to tell why. So until Samsung changes their tune myself, and apparently most others, will be holding on to our old phones or looking for a new manufacturer to fulfill our need for the coming future! Something tells me with them losing $44 billion in market devaluation they will be naming their next Galaxy device the negative One (as the S6 was code-named Zero). I know many of your own the Note 5 and won't agree with me but this is the way most of us feel, which is why the Note 5 and S6 are bombing worldwide (In places where the Note 5 is released anyway, lol). /rant

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
That's funny, I haven't noticed so many Samsung's in Sydney until this year when Samsung changed their tune. I was watching a movie recently and an ad for the S6 came up, a lady behind me said to her friends, word for word, "Oh my gosh, I can't wait to get that phone". Also, a relative of mine got an S6 and he has always been an iPhone guy, he actually really loves it.

I don't disagree with your opinion, as the phone isn't made for adventurous, battery loving people. But it is still the best phone on the market by far. Galaxies finally look and feel good to hold.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Where do you have the information that supports "most of us feel this way?" I had the Note 3 and the Note 5 is miles ahead of it. I and many others obviously prefer the design improvements Samsung has made (initial, actual factual reports, have the Note 5 and S6 edge+ outselling the Note 4 and Note Edge).

The fact that the battery can be charged from near 0 to full in just over an hour(yesterday i went from 6% to full in an hour and 8 minutes) offsets the removable battery. Additionally, 2 years worth of technology and software improvements allow for the Note 5 "small" battery to last longer than the Note 3. So if by "battery to make it work all day" you mean that you use a single battery on one charge, you should be more than fine there. Also, if you are unfortunately carrying multiple batteries around with you, and you use it for GPS, you could get a fast charger for your vehicle and simply plug a Note 5 in. Problem solved without the need to pull the battery and wait for your phone to restart.

I tend to agree with you in regards to the storage, I would prefer to have removable storage as an option as well since I take a ton of pictures. The improvements Google has made to their photo app are positive and have me coming around to the cloud storage idea. I'll still back them up on my PC anyway, like I routinely did with the Note 3, because there's always a chance your SD card could get corrupted and everything on there would get wiped anyway.

At any rate, if you prefer to use an inferior product, you certainly have the right to do so. Nobody is making you buy a Note 5.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung tried to make something more appealing for the general public. Sure they did alienate some people with their design, but they did take a calculated risk.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Samsung tried to make something more appealing for the general public. Sure they did alienate some people with their design, but they did take a calculated risk.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

I agree. People had temper tantrums over the plastic Samsung devices and wanted the so called "premium feel".

To the OP, you said you use your phone a lot for the GPS, I assume you mean while driving, if that's true then you can charge it while in your vehicle.

I don't understand why people that can charge their devices still try to make it lasts for days on a single charge.

With the bright HD screens, multi tasking, and high speed processors, smartphones are more like laptops than phones. Laptops won't last all day on battery power either.
It reminds me of a post from yesterday. People want more cpu, more pixels, better multi tasking, a massive battery, a screen bright enough to see in direct sunlight, and still want it to last all day with really heavy usage.
But, you better make it thin and beautiful and make it feel good in my hand.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually, while I love the Note 5 and it's currently sitting in my top 3 best phones of 2015, there's something funny I just noticed.

The Note 5 has an Exynos 7420 and UFS 2.0 storage, but lacks a microSD card slot for the reason being that the memory controller is currently incompatible with SD cards.

I looked up on the Meizu Pro 5, which has the same Exynos 7420 and according to Meizu, UFS 2.0 storage as well, but HAS a microSD card slot that doubles as a second SIM slot.

Yeah, I have a lot of questions for Samsung right now. Not that an SD card is going to completely change the sales landscape but it's just somewhat odd to me how a phone with similar internals could do something that the creator of those internals couldn't.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
How do you possibly recommend the Note 5 to someone like myself who does HVAC (AC work) from 7am to 7pm and uses my phone as a GPS (eats up my battery like a boss), flashlight, music player, phone (of course), app machine (for work apps), camera (for pics of jobs and to confirm jobs, estimates, etc), Notes (takes Notes on my Note 3 for addresses, specs, measurements, etc) and more?! That was the whole point of the Note series was a productivity phone with a huge behemoth screen and battery to make it work all day, throw in the kitchen sink and you've got a Note device! Not anymore with their fragile glass Note 5 with a tiny nonremovable battery. My Note 3 has taken heavy hits on roofs, metal, concrete and with a tiny thin Siedio case and a glass screen protector I have been saved! I think not on a dual glass phone! I have my Note 3 and will continue to use it, and you know what I can because I can change my battery whenever I want and add storage when I run out! In my book 32GB + 256GB (288GB) beats a crappy 64GB Note 5 any day of the week! Samsung has taken a hit as their phones haven't been selling and it's not hard to tell why. So until Samsung changes their tune myself, and apparently most others, will be holding on to our old phones or looking for a new manufacturer to fulfill our need for the coming future! Something tells me with them losing $44 billion in market devaluation they will be naming their next Galaxy device the negative One (as the S6 was code-named Zero). I know many of your own the Note 5 and won't agree with me but this is the way most of us feel, which is why the Note 5 and S6 are bombing worldwide (In places where the Note 5 is released anyway, lol). /rant

you're complaining about a 64GB Note 5? Heck they don't even have those here in Dubai and won't! The smart vice president of Samsung Middle East said to a public newspaper "We don't think people need more than 32GB nowadays!" LOL He has it all figured out and wants to choose for me what capacity I need! That's why I was forced to get the S6 edge+ 64GB as that's the only 64GB Samsung phone they have here in Dubai. Note 5 only sells with a 32GB capacity and no expandable storage makes it useless for power users! My MP3 + Pics collection by itself is 30 GB

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It's a matter of looking at your needs, your wants. then buying the device that best fits.
For the OP, it seriously sounds like the Note 5 is not for you. Note 4 or LG G4 or .... sound like better choices.
Even if you were an iPhone user, the 6S Plus would not be enough (I use one and it is slightly better than my Note 5).

Get what you need especially if it is work related.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
How do you possibly recommend the Note 5 to someone like myself

Did we? I would venture to say that most phones are not going to make you very happy. Isn't it better to find a phone that meets your needs than to seek out those that don't and complain about them?

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
How do you possibly recommend the Note 5 to someone like myself

You're no longer part of the market Samsung's going after. The Note usually sells 10M+ devices annually. Not everyone cares about the same things. In fact, expandable storage and removable batteries aren't even in the top 10 features smartphone shoppers consider.

I'm a heavy productivity user and get by just fine with 64GB of storage, my 64GB Kingston Wi-Drive, and the cloud. As for battery life the Note 5 charges so silly fast and with my two fast charge wireless chargers I don't even think about battery life anymore. My battery life is 30% better than my Note 4's with both phones configured identically any way. I use GPS heavily and don't have any locating or battery drain issues. So Samsung intentionally gave up some customers to appeal to a different and broader audience. Lamenting their decision isn't going to change a thing.

Bottom line is Samsung's chosen a new direction. LG who still offers some of the things people are mourning the loss of and would be thrilled to accept new customers. For me, the Note 5 is the best phone I've ever owned and maybe the best phone Samsung's ever made. YMMV.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I called this, called this, called this..

I said if people keep complaining about the polycarbonate phones, they were going to end up with this exact phone.

People got what they asked for, of only the people had been this vocal about keeping the polycarbonate.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I just checked the poll results and see that there has been only 4 votes. I would have voted but the question is too vague. What does the OP mean by "revamped". New phones are always a "revamp" of a previous model in some way (sometimes more changes, sometimes less). Does he mean "revamped" in that they will restore the sd and removable battery? Maybe, but the question doesn't say that. Like others, I chose to not vote at all since I don't know what the OP is trying to ask.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
First off the op is just another complainer, just like I was in the beginning.

Secondly let's get some facts straight.. Anyone can use a SD card with this phone so this blantent falsehood needs to stop... You use a external version not internal. It functions the same way.

Third if you are using GPS all day long plug it in and fast charge it or get a external battery pack either slow charge or fast charge your choice.

Note taking is just as good on the 5 as it was on the 3...I know I had one.

Yes.. The glass back is a issue if you are clumsy enough to drop it off a roof in a Seidio case, I have done that before with the Note 1,2,and 3 and I can say that it all depends on how the phone hits and what it hits on the way down too if it sustains significant damage... Been there done that, but not with the 5 yet. However I have dropped my 5 onto the concrete with just a leather back case and hit on a corner from a couple feet and it is still in perfect condition.

My advice to the op is stop complaining about this phone. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but stop with the fud.

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig Black Sapphire leather wrapped Note 5

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You can't get around the storage issue if you're that set on internal storage.
The other issues can be avoided by keeping your phone plugged in when you are in your car. If you drop a phone that often, I would get an Otterbox case or something similar. In the end, this is essentially a computer and dropping it should be accidental and once in a blue moon, not the norm and shouldn't be a basis for buying a phone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
On quick charging, it's fine provided you have power available and an hour to charge up. It suits most people most of the time. I still have days, particularly while traveling by air, when plugging in a phone is impractical. I carry extra batteries for my Samsung and change them out on the fly. Conversely, I still see people at the airport, iPhone in one hand and USB cord in the other, wandering around looking for a wall plug or camping out on the floor of the hallway. So, yes, quick charging is cool and useful, but it's not a universal cure. And with the shrinking number of options for removable batteries, I share the OP's frustration.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You can't get around the storage issue if you're that set on internal storage.
The other issues can be avoided by keeping your phone plugged in when you are in your car. If you drop a phone that often, I would get an Otterbox case or something similar. In the end, this is essentially a computer and dropping it should be accidental and once in a blue moon, not the norm and shouldn't be a basis for buying a phone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Seriously... What is the big deal with external storage?

I mean I could understand this if a person was rooted and running a custom rom where you can run all kinds of apps off the SD card, but there are millions of people not doing this anymore. You can run music, videos, store photos, maps and just about anything else these days... Yes I am aware that it is a inconvenience, but really just how much of one?

I know people have different needs, but complaining just for the sake of complaining is wrong about this phone. If I have a actual need to have GPS on all day... To do so on any smartphone is silly. Use the best tool for the job at hand. If my Note 3 (if I still owned it) worked better for my needs... I wouldn't care about upgrading. If the Note 5 didn't meet my needs( and BTW it does) I would find the best solution for them.

Samsung builds for the majority not the minority and while I don't agree with everything they do I at least look at the phone and see if it can work without all the rehashed drama where it does no good.

Bottom line is if you don't like it or if it won't work for your needs, don't buy it and get what you need..

Attachments

• 357.jpg
    357.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 92

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
On quick charging, it's fine provided you have power available and an hour to charge up. It suits most people most of the time. I still have days, particularly while traveling by air, when plugging in a phone is impractical. I carry extra batteries for my Samsung and change them out on the fly. Conversely, I still see people at the airport, iPhone in one hand and USB cord in the other, wandering around looking for a wall plug or camping out on the floor of the hallway. So, yes, quick charging is cool and useful, but it's not a universal cure. And with the shrinking number of options for removable batteries, I share the OP's frustration.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-aukey-10000mah-external-battery-quick-charger

If you like the phone get accessories that works for you. Sometimes we just have to think outside the box.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I just carry a battery pack -- You can keep it with you as you charge (no wall needed) :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21