I have my Note 5 set to be unlocked via password. However, when I push the home key and get the password prompt/keyboard, the stupid thing times out after about 3 seconds if I don't push a button. Does anyone know of a way to extend that, so I have enough time to get my finger on the keys?
    10-02-2015 03:41 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a case with a smartcover on it? If so, make sure the cover isn't folded in back of the phone, because sometimes the magnet embedded in the case is too strong, and triggers the smartcover sensor in the front bezel, thus turning off the screen.
    10-03-2015 02:18 AM
    Also, how about trying the finger print scanner? Seriously, it works rather well once you've set it up...
    10-03-2015 05:53 AM
    Also, how about trying the finger print scanner? Seriously, it works rather well once you've set it up...
    I myself like the fingerprint scanner, but it shouldn't be recommended without warning that it's less secure than a good password.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    10-03-2015 06:13 AM
    If three seconds isn't enough time to press a key, there might be something in the dexterity-impairment section of the accessibility settings to adjust the time.
    10-03-2015 06:28 AM
    I wish you didn't have to confirm your code. The iphone reacted upon the correct entering of the passcode. The android requires me to confirm with ok. 8 out of 10 times I press to the side of ok and it shuts off. I don't suppose there is a workaround for that?
    10-03-2015 07:10 AM
    I myself like the fingerprint scanner, but it shouldn't be recommended without warning that it's less secure than a good password.
    How is the fingerprint scanner less secure than a good password.
    10-03-2015 11:43 AM
    Less secure? Who else is walking around with your finger?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note V
    ramiss likes this.
    10-03-2015 02:07 PM
    There are quite a few ways that the fingerprint scanner can be bypassed, if you're industrious enough. Remember that fingerprint scanners aren't scanning your entire fingerprint--it's only looking at a few key locations. If you do a search for "bypass fingerprint scanner," you'll find quite a few articles in respectable tech publications about it.
    jlilnc14 likes this.
    10-03-2015 06:23 PM
    How is the fingerprint scanner less secure than a good password[?]
    For one thing, your fingerprints can often be found on the phone. If someone has your fingerprint, it's not hard to make it scannable.

Also, in the US, the government can sometimes lawfully compel you to unlock your phone via a fingerprint, but they can't lawfully compel you to reveal a password.
    jlilnc14 likes this.
    10-04-2015 08:00 AM
    For one thing, your fingerprints can often be found on the phone. If someone has your fingerprint, it's not hard to make it scannable.

Also, in the US, the government can sometimes lawfully compel you to unlock your phone via a fingerprint, but they can't lawfully compel you to reveal a password.
    This sounds like CSI to me lol

Posted from the most awesome phone on Earth Galaxy Note 5
    10-04-2015 08:18 AM

Yup, giving up your fingerprint isn't incriminating yourself so it's legal while as giving up your password is incriminating yourself which you legally dont have to do.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-04-2015 08:56 AM
    So maybe don't do things that would result in the government forcing you to unlock your phone?

Just a thought.....
    ramiss likes this.
    10-04-2015 09:41 AM
    So maybe don't do things that would result in the government forcing you to unlock your phone?

Just a thought.....
    ...because the government is always right. If they suspect you, you MUST have given them a reason to... *sarcasm*

10-04-2015 10:23 AM
    Yup, giving up your fingerprint isn't incriminating yourself so it's legal while as giving up your password is incriminating yourself which you legally dont have to do.

I suspect the original intent of the law is that giving up your fingerprint isn't incriminating because the authorities only have your fingerprint to be able to identify you in the future. However, forcing you to unlock your phone (fingerprint or otherwise) should require probable cause or a court order the same was as making you unlock your car does.

If your are in a position that the authorities have probable cause to make you unlock your phone then you probably should be doing MUCH more to protect yourself than just using a password.
    10-04-2015 07:27 PM