(Potential Buyer) Any regrets?

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a Note 3 and no regrets about the Note 5. My only regret is having to stay with Verizon. Unfortunately they are the only one that has the coverage I need here in the North West.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I'll ask Verizon to confirm that a VoLTE setting is on their Note 5. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am on Verizon. Advanced Calling is a feature you set on/off on your phone. So as long as you keep it on, voice and data will work simultaneously.

One issue that I will highlight with Verizon phone...there is a bug if you have Wifi off. Cell standby will be incredibly high when idle if you are using WiFi. If you dont use wifi...battery is amazing, but thats not always an option for people on tiered data. I keep wifi off (till Verizon fixes this) as I am on unlimited data. My wife on the other hand is on WiFi all day even though it kills her battery since she in on tiered data.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I am on Verizon. Advanced Calling is a feature you set on/off on your phone. So as long as you keep it on, voice and data will work simultaneously.

One issue that I will highlight with Verizon phone...there is a bug if you have Wifi off. Cell standby will be incredibly high when idle if you are using WiFi. If you dont use wifi...battery is amazing, but thats not always an option for people on tiered data. I keep wifi off (till Verizon fixes this) as I am on unlimited data. My wife on the other hand is on WiFi all day even though it kills her battery since she in on tiered data.

Ouch! That wifi issue could be a problem - I'm already sharing my 10GB plan with family.

Thank you for telling me!

jlilnc14

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi all.

Is there anything you hate - or regret - about your Note 5?

My Moto X is RMA. Need a phone for work (away from desk a lot); strongly considering the Note 5. I held the phone in the store -- felt comfortable.

Mainly need something that can give me 3.5 - 5 hours of screen-on-time with all the features on (bluetooth, wifi, etc.).

Also considering the iPhone 6S Plus as I hear its battery life is insanely good, and my iPad Air 2 has been a really great tool for me.

Thank you!

I only regret getting the note 5 on verizon! No Samsung Pay and other features that other note 5 users have

Posted via the Android Central App

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I only regret getting the note 5 on verizon! No Samsung Pay and other features that other note 5 users have

Interesting. If the Verizon Note 5 doesn't ever get Samsung Pay, is Google Pay expected to work?

What other features does Verizon's Note 5 not have?

Still that battery life sounds great.

Thank you.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I've got a note 5 on Verizon and its connected to WiFi basically all day, at home and work. Battery has been great, I'm guessing this isn't a very widespread problem?

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I've got a note 5 on Verizon and its connected to WiFi basically all day, at home and work. Battery has been great, I'm guessing this isn't a very widespread problem?

That's good to know since everyone I know on Verizon (including me) complains about it. That's good to know.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. If the Verizon Note 5 doesn't ever get Samsung Pay, is Google Pay expected to work?

Thank you.

Yes Android Pay works on all Note 5s. Just need to be on nfc.

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm on wifi all day and never have an issue. I get around 15-16 hours and 5 hours SOT. I have an iPhone 6s plus also. The battery is much better with exact same usage. I never go below 20% and have gotten 18 hours. But that's the only thing that is better on iPhone. Note runs circles around it in every other aspect of the device.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site
You'll love the Note 5 the only regret would be using Verizon they are stupid expensive they are anti consumer. They are the only hold out of wireless company's for Samsung pay which is a game changer in mobile payments. The reason they are a hold out for Samsung pay is because hate their customers but love there money. If I costs Verizon money and they won't make money on it even though its good for the customer they won't do it. If you stay on Verizon you will get marshmallow but you will be the last one to get it. Save yourself a lot of money and headaches and get off Verizon. T-mobile in my opinion is the best. But you'll love the Note 5

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
So, you folks are not having any of the Bluetooth problems I read about here?

Thank you! 🙂

Note 5 Bluetooth issue - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

None here. I moved up from the S4 and have zero regrets whatsoever. S4 used to get so hot I'd have to put it down. Sometimes it would roast my leg in pocket.

Note 5 has been the coolest, temperature-wise, of any phone I've owned. My wife's S4 would drain in 3-4 hours at work if she didn't turn it on Airplane Mode. Note 5 goes through a full shift and she still has half a charge coming off shift.

Mine's a keeper. Got the 64 gig, I know I'll need it.

AverageAccountant

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm on wifi all day and never have an issue. I get around 15-16 hours and 5 hours SOT. I have an iPhone 6s plus also. The battery is much better with exact same usage. I never go below 20% and have gotten 18 hours. But that's the only thing that is better on iPhone. Note runs circles around it in every other aspect of the device.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What have you liked about the note vs the iPhone? I purchased a 6s plus and it's been great but I definitely miss the android feel.

The battery of the iPhone has been amazing and it's a very fast phone!

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
You'll love the Note 5 the only regret would be using Verizon they are stupid expensive they are anti consumer. They are the only hold out of wireless company's for Samsung pay which is a game changer in mobile payments. The reason they are a hold out for Samsung pay is because hate their customers but love there money. If I costs Verizon money and they won't make money on it even though its good for the customer they won't do it. If you stay on Verizon you will get marshmallow but you will be the last one to get it. Save yourself a lot of money and headaches and get off Verizon. T-mobile in my opinion is the best. But you'll love the Note 5

I agree! If anyone can get coverage w T-Mobile, then switch.
I did after they launched 700 MHz in my state and the difference in coverage is crazy. I'm slowly bringing all 5 line over from att.
Fast updates, non branded devices, they keep settings stock like the int'l units, fast updates, no overages for data...

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
No regrets so far. Great phone with numerous features built in it. Lovely build as well. The only regret is that they do not sell the 32gb model here in my country =(

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Thank you.

Google Pay works on all Androids, and VZW is now planning to authorize Samsung pay.

I am coming from a Samsung S4, which I loved but it was a little long in the tooth. I wanted an S6, but was scared off by the reports of poor battery life. I then waited for the Nexus phones, and was disappointed that they didn't offer Qi (which is a feature I love) and I was annoyed that the Nexus 5X is a midranger.

I had not planned on the Note because I am really not a phablet guy - I like smaller pocketable phones. But, the size hasn't be a major issue - its thin and fits in my pocket and it is not to wide to be uncomfortable. All in all, I would prefer a much smaller phone with a smaller screen, but I don't think this will be hard to live with at all.

Otherwise, I love the phone. The screen is freaking gorgeous, its fast as heck, the build quality is top notch, and the main annoyances of touchwhiz were easy to defeat (I use Nova Launcher, and I themed the phone with the free material theme).

Battery life has been superb for me. My S4 barely made it through the day, mainly because I always have a smartwatch attached to it and run lots of power eating apps. The Note has had no trouble making it from morning to bedtime though, which his all I really ask for.

Overall, I'm really satisfied and would do it again.

That new Droid Turbo 2 could make me regret it though!

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, and thank you again for the input. Based on your comments, I did in fact buy the Note 5 (Verizon) a few days ago. I'm using Nova Launcher instead of Touchwiz.

So far, I am very glad to switch to the Note.

My only criticisms, if you can call it that, thus far:

- I miss having front-facing speakers.
- The side edges of the screen are sensitive to any touch -- accidental or not (a review of the iPhone 6S+ by Mobile Tech Review said Apple found a way to minimize the unintentional touch).
- The finger print reader is quick to reject my fingers if they aren't laid down just right -- a bit more annoying than on my iPad Air 2, but you guys told me to expect that.
- I have experienced a bit of lag in some apps now and then, but no worries.

Everything else is just awesome. I doubt I'll be returning it. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz