Question about auto brightness

anon(2947110)

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
When auto brightness is on (box is checked)...

If im in a dark room, is my phone supposed to brighten up?

OR

If im outside, does it automatically brighten the screen?

Basically how does it work?

Posted via the Android Central App

ramiss

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Auto-brightness is supposed to keep the same relative brightness in any conditions. Which means if the ambient light goes up then the brightness goes up, if the ambient goes down then brightness goes down.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Darker environment requires less brightness on your screen. Outside in bright light requires higher brightness level on your phone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

anon(2947110)

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Not sure i understand. So right now i have it checked. My room is currently dark and i want it to automatically brighten my screen but nothing happens

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When it is checked, if you are in a darker room, the screen brightness will go down. If in a very well lit area...like outside during a sunny day, the screen brightness will go up.

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Not sure i understand. So right now i have it checked. My room is currently dark and i want it to automatically brighten my screen but nothing happens

Auto brightness adjusts based on the perceived brightness needed for you to be able to clearly see the screen in various lighting situations.

Generally speaking, if you move to a dim location, the phone will dim also, as it requires less brightness to overcome the surrounding lighting. And vice versa.

Basically, your expectation that it should get brighter in a dark room is opposite of how it's designed to work.

Try this... set your phone to a low brightness, then walk outside in the sun... you'll likely not be able to see your display. Auto brightness would correct for this, increasing brightness to overcome the surrounding lighting.

chan_xo

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Does having auto brightness on help with battery? Not that I'm having any issues with battery. Just always looking for ways to add time to the battery if I can.

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Does having auto brightness on help with battery? Not that I'm having any issues with battery. Just always looking for ways to add time to the battery if I can.
Depends on your screen on time, really.

For example, the ambient lighting at my desk is fairly bright, so the display brightens to compensate. However, in my opinion it's not really necessary except in sunlight.

So I could probably save a few minutes of battery life by disabling the auto brightness at work, but it really doesn't make much difference to me... I charge when I need to charge.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I leave it on. I'd rather have it auto-adjust and keep the screen readable than gain a few more minutes of battery.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001