The Note 5 beats out the newest and IMO nicest arrival on Android. To be honest I was quite surprised by this unexpected turn of events. Historically Sony were always better at optimization than Samsung but if this is any indication, Samsung has turned the tables this year.

This next one didn't surprise me really but it does irk me that Android's fastest contender so far is still getting trounced by Apple. The only explanation I can think of is that we still pay a performance hit by the more numerous background activities that Android runs in order to perform the more complex capabilities Android has to offer. But even so, some of those background activities will be things we may not want in the first place.

Before anyone starts blaming Touchwiz or Samsung RAM issues, you should keep in mind that the Note 5 manages to beat other Androids anyway in videos like this, even with those 2 things factored in.

10-05-2015 11:07 AM
    Great review
    Like to see the same Note 5 vs 6S plus.
    I am running these two side by side and it is a crap-shoot to which is faster. Some the N5, some the 6S+.
    I am running Nova Prime and used the developer options to cut down on animations (something you can't do on iOS).
    Still, daily use, it's a toss, not a trounce.
    10-05-2015 12:11 PM
    Great review
    I am running these two side by side and it is a crap-shoot to which is faster. Some the N5, some the 6S+.
    I am running Nova Prime and used the developer options to cut down on animations (something you can't do on iOS).
    That video IS Note 5 and 6S Plus.
    Also you can now reduce animations in iOS. Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > and turn the switch ON
    10-05-2015 12:18 PM
    Samsung the best
    10-05-2015 12:23 PM
    Great review
    You obviously didn't watch the video. It IS N5 vs iPhone 6s Plus. It's also obvious you don't have an iPhone because you CAN disable animations.
    10-05-2015 12:47 PM
    Geez - I'd make my decision on the phone I want (N5 vs iPhone 6s) right on that first A/B shot.
    White backgrounds on timer screens. One phone is blue-ish grey, the other is bright, vibrant and "white".
    How about the Rovio splash screen?
    How about the images on any of these screens??
    Don't even get me started on the display/phone size ratio!
    Doesn't matter if Apple can display a screen a microsecond faster in some cases. They've spent the last year optimizing their OS-to-hardware for 1 phone. 1 phone. I'd hope that they could create some small advantage when totally focused on one handset.
    The N5 is just one of a handful of great devices Sammy has delivered in the past year. And the N5 is still so far ahead of the new iPhone, on so many fronts.
    Apple is clearly chasing Sammy's tail lights.
    erasat likes this.
    10-05-2015 01:59 PM