I used the 6SP for a week...back on the N5 now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried out the iPhone 6s Plus for a week. When I first got it, everything was rosy, it was very fast, great fingerprint scanner(faster than the Note 5, from the time to press the button until the home screen appeared), live photos was very cool. But once I started using it for a while, things got very buggy. Active apps would crash. I have to force close all apps to clear up memory and everything got rosy again... For a while. For example in the morning, I cleared all apps from memory, by the evening, it got buggy again, had to clear apps from memory again. Also in safari, it would just sometimes stop loading any sites. I have to close all the windows then it would start to work again. As an aside the 6p from last year got very laggy after a while but would not kick active apps out of memory very frequently. The 6sp doesn't exhibit this behavior but instead just kicks active apps out of memory. On the Note 5, it goes longer before it starts to get laggy and a restart and clearing app cache in the slow app fixes it for a while (usually Chrome). Force closing apps isn't necessary. The reason why I wanted to try the iPhone was because it was a bit annoying to have to do this however, for me, the iPhone 6s Plus is much worse. If I have to do this kind of management, might as well stick to Android.

Now I should preface this by saying that I am a very heavy user including a lot of multi tasking. In the week that I had it, I used 22gb of data, with less than half of it used for tethering (I am on the Verizon unlimited unthrottled data plan with the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot addon). This usage might be a lot for some but this is a pretty typical data usage for me on the Note 5 and Note 4.

Anyways, I put together what I liked and disliked about the iPhone, which may help some who are on the fence.

Iphone pro
[ ] Touch id better than note 5. More accurate and quicker
[ ] Feels very fast, faster than the note 5 when working properly.
[ ] Tapatalk app is more refined
[ ] New notifications turns on the screen
[ ] Shows Bluetooth battery life
[ ] More control over how notifications show
[ ] Live photos is pretty cool
[ ] Battery life especially on more demanding apps is excellent on the 6sp, substantially better than the Note 5.
[ ] Battery life in very low signal areas is way better on the 6sp, substantially better than the Note 5.

Iphone con
[ ] Sometimes it takes a while after reading an email for the count tag to be reduced on the home screen
[ ] Swiftkey keyboard cannot be resized,no number row,some security switches back to stock
[ ] Gmail cannot be set to auto jump to the older email after deleting current email
[ ] Widgets on the home screen not as refined as Android
[ ] Less customizations
[ ] No folders
[ ] Stock email app can only be set to 15 minute fetch at the quickest for Gmail
[ ] No button to delete email in the in box in the stock app, must long press the archive button spps
[ ] Kick apps out of memory when running in the background . for example when downloading pictures from amazon photos, it will stop every 60 to 100 pictures or so and I would have to open the app again,youtube uploads stop when app isn't open.
[ ] Can't set default apps
[ ] App update requires wifi
[ ] Chrome buggy,crashes frequently
[ ] No double click to open camera
[ ] Doesn't register nail as a touch,note 5 does.
[ ] No 5ghz hotspot
[ ] Light touches sometimes do not register on the iPhone,same touch will register on the note 5
[ ] Note 5 seems to do better in very low signal areas
[ ] Can't show band in the top bar
[ ] Gpm streaming stops occasionally
[ ] Using Swiftkey,sometimes you can't see what you are typing as the keyboard blocks the screen where you are typing
[ ] Cannot set the iPhone to switch to vibrate automatically when in a certain area(note 5 can do this with Tasker or similar
[ ] If you use a lot of apps then the system would start to get laggy and crash prone . you can force close all apps once in a while to help mitigate this,as well as shut off and re start the iPhone.
[ ] Also with a lot of apps in memory, background usage for uploading and downloading is severely limited. For example, Amazon photos or youtube can do some uploading in the background when all apps are cleared from memory or when few apps are in memory. But once you have a lot of apps in memory, the apps need to be in the foreground to do uploading.
[ ] Both amazon and Google photos has the option to upload only while charging on the note 5,but not on the iPhone.
[ ] In low signal areas, usually turning on and off airplane mode would kick it back to usable lte on the note 5. On the iPhone, this didn't kick it back to lte

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi dpham00,

I agree with all but one thing. To me the iPhone 6/6+ in both S and non S versions all seem to be very slow phones and I believe it is simply iOS8&9 animations and what they call "Reduce Motion" or "Parallax Effect". I can NOT STAND how the only two options Apple gives us is either the faded blur or the opening and closing from the diagonal corner when apps open/close. All of this makes the iPhones behave like they are the slowest phones ever.

The problem I have on my 6 Plus (non S) running 9.0.2 is the home screen hanging up when pressing the home button to return to home screen. They begin to do their faded cross eyed blurry animation then briefly stop then move again.

I am a 30 year veteran of using Macs for my computing needs in home and business and I have had every single iteration of iPhones except the current 6S versions. I have enjoyed the note 5 and 5.1.1 very much, a few hiccups but overall a much "faster" experience even though it's been recently proven that the iPhone 6S benchmarks blow the Note 5 away. To me the Note 5 seems 20 times faster.

Having said all of the above I returned my Note 5 and reactivated my crap 6 Plus because I learned AT&T installs spyware in most of their Android devices called Carrier IQ and it cannot be uninstalled, disabled, or stopped. So I am actively in the market for a Note 5 N920i International version in 64GB black.

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Oh....and the sound quality of the earpiece on the Note 5 when holding the Note 5 to your ear is FAR louder and clearer than ANY iPhone I have talked/listened on. Love the Note 5 sound quality and even the added ability to increase the earpiece loudness even more while in a call...

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot for this thread, it definitely helps in deciding to keep the note 5 over moving over to the 6s+. The way the issues with iOS are detailed definitely gives me the knowledge I need to know I'll be much happier sticking with the note line for a while.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Great review, The main reason I sold my iPhone 6 last year was due to the fact that there is no folder/file system for me to easily organize my data and copying my MP3s to the iPhone using iTunes was a living nightmare. After taking lots of courses online to learn how to do that and I did manage to successfully add my songs, but when I had 10 new songs added to my collection, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to copy them changes only to the iPhone.

Another thing is, I had some pretty nude pics of some girls which I deleted. One day I decided to try iExplorer and to my surprise, they were not actually deleted, every freakin' photo was there in some hidden folder! If my wife would've seen this we would've been divorced by now.

Now what you added in this review makes me never want to touch iToys again.

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My Note 5 seems faster to me than my wife’s 6s with the exception of the touch id which I find too fast on the 6s. The 6s is so fast that often times if I try to touch it so I can flip the camera on quickly from the lock screen it opens instantly and I have to find the camera icon which defeats the purpose of opening the camera fast. I find the Note 5 touch id to be the perfect speed for me.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
My Note 5 seems faster to me than my wife’s 6s with the exception of the touch id which I find too fast on the 6s. The 6s is so fast that often times if I try to touch it so I can flip the camera on quickly from the lock screen it opens instantly and I have to find the camera icon which defeats the purpose of opening the camera fast. I find the Note 5 touch id to be the perfect speed for me.
That reminds me, when I pickup my wife's iPhone 6 to take a quick pic as my phone is on the charger, I have to sit and search for the camera! by that time the cute shot of my cats that I wanted to take is gone!

Here is a pic of some of my cats taken with the S6 edge+:

SGT245k.jpg

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
That reminds me, when I pickup my wife's iPhone 6 to take a quick pic as my phone is on the charger, I have to sit and search for the camera! by that time the cute shot of my cats that I wanted to take is gone!

Here is a pic of some of my cats taken with the S6 edge+:

http://i.imgur.com/SGT245k.jpg

Or you can just swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen to launch the camera from anywhere.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Great review, The main reason I sold my iPhone 6 last year was due to the fact that there is no folder/file system for me to easily organize my data and copying my MP3s to the iPhone using iTunes was a living nightmare. After taking lots of courses online to learn how to do that and I did manage to successfully add my songs, but when I had 10 new songs added to my collection, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to copy them changes only to the iPhone.

Another thing is, I had some pretty nude pics of some girls which I deleted. One day I decided to try iExplorer and to my surprise, they were not actually deleted, every freakin' photo was there in some hidden folder! If my wife would've seen this we would've been divorced by now.

Now what you added in this review makes me never want to touch iToys again.

Anytime you delete a photo or video, it goes into the "Recently Deleted" folder which you can go into and restore photos or videos or delete them forever. You can set the folder automatically empty itself after a specified amount of days. That's probably where the photos were residing.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Anytime you delete a photo or video, it goes into the "Recently Deleted" folder which you can go into and restore photos or videos or delete them forever. You can set the folder automatically empty itself after a specified amount of days. That's probably where the photos were residing.
Thanks a lot for this, this was one of my biggest concerns about iPhones. At least now when they do release a solid new iPhone I won't mind getting one, the current iPhone 6S I've read over heats a lot when in heavy use causing the flash to get disabled. I remember when I had an iPhone 5 and would be on a Skype call the phone would get too hot to handle, seems like they didn't fix this yet.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Question one : which carrier you got it from (the i6sp) ,
Question two : how can you return it in a week
Question Three: Will there any messy in return
Verizon has a 14 day return policy. I just used the prepaid label to mail it back.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Simply saying, I use Android because I customize it to my preferences, not the settings in allowed to have.

A friend made the switch recently to the 6S from another fruit phone, and asked about downloading a keyboard. Of course, being a longtime SwiftKey user, that is what I recommended.

As II described my settings, he was trying to find them, only to find out, all the customizations I used aren't available for the iPhone version.

When you take so much out of apps to make it conform to your standards, are you really letting users have the best phone experience? I dare say, no.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Simply saying, I use Android because I customize it to my preferences, not the settings in allowed to have.

A friend made the switch recently to the 6S from another fruit phone, and asked about downloading a keyboard. Of course, being a longtime SwiftKey user, that is what I recommended.

As II described my settings, he was trying to find them, only to find out, all the customizations I used aren't available for the iPhone version.

When you take so much out of apps to make it conform to your standards, are you really letting users have the best phone experience? I dare say, no.
Swiftkey customizations are extremely limited on ios. No numbers row, cannot resize keyboard, no long press for additional characters.

The keyboard also gets stuck on some apps in some instances, and what you address typing is under the keyboard.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I should also add that although I like the customization of Android, I wanted the iPhone 6sp because I thought that doubling the ram would help with system stability, and make it so that I could use the phone without having to force close apps, restart the phone, and closing down safari windows... Basically something that just worked well without any user intervention required. For me, the iPhone 6sp wasn't it.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for this! In the world of internet forums it's SO hard to get an honest comparison because people are so polarized and let's be blunt here: dishonest, because some measure of fanboyism often intrudes (hence why if you posted this on an Apple forum you'd probably get attacked at worst or receive dozens of replies from people saying, "must be you, I don't have any of your issues!" at best).

I will be fair here and also mention that I agree with you that when it is working perfectly, an iPhone is supremely fast, and with Apple there's also a pretty strong possibility that many of the issues you were having will be patched reasonably soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar