Those concerned about privacy. Yes you have spyware called Carrier IQ installed in your Note 5...

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Restarted and ran both....says I don 't have it. that's good, but still scary! lol

Note 4 clear as well...its TMobile though.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh well, since I can't get rid of it....perhaps I should start typing some physical threats of violence toward them, and see if they contact me, or send the FBI here. I'll keep you all posted, if i'm not in jail! :-D

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Here is Carrier IQ's email response to me, they were fast to point out that it is not spyware. The lawsuits say otherwise:

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us! We have no record of any communication from you prior to the one you sent last week, but we certainly respect your right to contact your regulator of choice.

Carrier iQ provides technology and services to mobile operators for diagnostic purposes and to improve the quality of their services. Information such as signal quality, battery performance, call drops, and network usage allows operators to plan and build out their networks to assure the best service experience their consumers. We do not and have never engaged in spyware, so it appears you've been misinformed about our services. You can learn more about how operators are using Carrier iQ technology by visiting our blog if interested.

Operators such as AT&T provide a privacy policy for all of their consumers which provides details that may be of interest. We encourage you to contact AT&T, as you already have, as they would be able to further assist you with your inquiry.

Respectfully,

Carrier iQ

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Just sent them a colorful, but professional message. I'm sure I'll get the same generic message you received. ;-D

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Here is Carrier IQ's email response to me, they were fast to point out that it is not spyware. The lawsuits say otherwise:

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us! We have no record of any communication from you prior to the one you sent last week, but we certainly respect your right to contact your regulator of choice.

Carrier iQ provides technology and services to mobile operators for diagnostic purposes and to improve the quality of their services. Information such as signal quality, battery performance, call drops, and network usage allows operators to plan and build out their networks to assure the best service experience their consumers. We do not and have never engaged in spyware, so it appears you've been misinformed about our services. You can learn more about how operators are using Carrier iQ technology by visiting our blog if interested.

Operators such as AT&T provide a privacy policy for all of their consumers which provides details that may be of interest. We encourage you to contact AT&T, as you already have, as they would be able to further assist you with your inquiry.

Respectfully,

Carrier iQ

Perfect canned response which was drafted by their legal dept in attempt to minimize further financial liability.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about T-Mobile, but Verizon uses their own proprietary data collection tools that do not involve third parties. I do know that when all this first blew up in 2011 that T-Mobile was using their software - however that could have changed in the ensuing years.

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
iPhones Don't have this?

I thought all phones going through AT&T were easily tracked and data collected?
Maybe I should just go back to a flip phone.

Well...yes iPhones and Apple have their own "Diagnostics & Usage" reporting in Settings>Privacy. However you can choose between "Automatically Send" OR "Don't Send". Naturally I have mine checked on "Don't Send".

I call Apples version "reporting" and not spyware because at least I can disable it to not send any info. Also it's not buried and hidden in an operating system. It is readily available in iPhone settings.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
To my knowledge they don't. Carrier IQ is a 3rd party software that has to be put in with the OS -- Apple wouldn't allow a third party to install something directly into the OS.

So there is no tracking software on an iPhone?
Even if there wasn't I thought AT&T collected everything that ran through the system and handed it off to the Government?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about T-Mobile, but Verizon uses their own proprietary data collection tools that do not involve third parties. I do know that when all this first blew up in 2011 that T-Mobile was using their software - however that could have changed in the ensuing years.

T-Mobile did use it some then, but it doesn't seem to be on the T-Mobile Note 5.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
It won't show up in battery usage as "Carrier IQ" or "IQ Agent Service". It is buried in the "Android System" battery usage.

True but if you click on the OS icons in battery usage it will open the page telling you exactly what service was running. At least it does on my Verizon Note 5.