10-12-2015 06:41 AM
93 1234
tools
    Oh well, since I can't get rid of it....perhaps I should start typing some physical threats of violence toward them, and see if they contact me, or send the FBI here. I'll keep you all posted, if i'm not in jail! :-D
    Here you go:
    Contact us - Carrier iQ

For what it's worth, they contacted me and I will copy/paste their pathetic response in a minute...
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    10-07-2015 03:13 PM
    Here is Carrier IQ's email response to me, they were fast to point out that it is not spyware. The lawsuits say otherwise:

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us! We have no record of any communication from you prior to the one you sent last week, but we certainly respect your right to contact your regulator of choice.

Carrier iQ provides technology and services to mobile operators for diagnostic purposes and to improve the quality of their services. Information such as signal quality, battery performance, call drops, and network usage allows operators to plan and build out their networks to assure the best service experience their consumers. We do not and have never engaged in spyware, so it appears you've been misinformed about our services. You can learn more about how operators are using Carrier iQ technology by visiting our blog if interested.

Operators such as AT&T provide a privacy policy for all of their consumers which provides details that may be of interest. We encourage you to contact AT&T, as you already have, as they would be able to further assist you with your inquiry.

Respectfully,

Carrier iQ
    10-07-2015 03:15 PM
    SMH. I guess all I can do is just keep force closing, it....oh well!
    10-07-2015 03:34 PM
    Keep in mind that this isn't true of Verizon Note 5's.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    10-07-2015 03:36 PM
    Just sent them a colorful, but professional message. I'm sure I'll get the same generic message you received. ;-D
    10-07-2015 03:38 PM
    Keep in mind that this isn't true of Verizon Note 5's.
    Or Tmobile it appears....as my Tmobile Unlocked Note 4 (AT&T Sim) phone, does not have it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 03:40 PM
    Here is Carrier IQ's email response to me, they were fast to point out that it is not spyware. The lawsuits say otherwise:

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us! We have no record of any communication from you prior to the one you sent last week, but we certainly respect your right to contact your regulator of choice.

Carrier iQ provides technology and services to mobile operators for diagnostic purposes and to improve the quality of their services. Information such as signal quality, battery performance, call drops, and network usage allows operators to plan and build out their networks to assure the best service experience their consumers. We do not and have never engaged in spyware, so it appears you've been misinformed about our services. You can learn more about how operators are using Carrier iQ technology by visiting our blog if interested.

Operators such as AT&T provide a privacy policy for all of their consumers which provides details that may be of interest. We encourage you to contact AT&T, as you already have, as they would be able to further assist you with your inquiry.

Respectfully,

Carrier iQ
    Perfect canned response which was drafted by their legal dept in attempt to minimize further financial liability.
    H3aTeRzz and gdgtmom like this.
    10-07-2015 03:40 PM
    I don't know about T-Mobile, but Verizon uses their own proprietary data collection tools that do not involve third parties. I do know that when all this first blew up in 2011 that T-Mobile was using their software - however that could have changed in the ensuing years.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 03:42 PM
    Using my iPhone at the moment......Which almost sucks just as bad LOL
    iPhones Don't have this?

I thought all phones going through AT&T were easily tracked and data collected?
    Maybe I should just go back to a flip phone.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    10-07-2015 04:16 PM
    iPhones Don't have this?
    To my knowledge they don't. Carrier IQ is a 3rd party software that has to be put in with the OS -- Apple wouldn't allow a third party to install something directly into the OS.
    OceanView likes this.
    10-07-2015 04:27 PM
    iPhones Don't have this?

I thought all phones going through AT&T were easily tracked and data collected?
    Maybe I should just go back to a flip phone.
    Well...yes iPhones and Apple have their own "Diagnostics & Usage" reporting in Settings>Privacy. However you can choose between "Automatically Send" OR "Don't Send". Naturally I have mine checked on "Don't Send".

I call Apples version "reporting" and not spyware because at least I can disable it to not send any info. Also it's not buried and hidden in an operating system. It is readily available in iPhone settings.
    OceanView likes this.
    10-07-2015 04:31 PM
    To my knowledge they don't. Carrier IQ is a 3rd party software that has to be put in with the OS -- Apple wouldn't allow a third party to install something directly into the OS.
    So there is no tracking software on an iPhone?
    Even if there wasn't I thought AT&T collected everything that ran through the system and handed it off to the Government?
    10-07-2015 04:33 PM
    I don't know about T-Mobile, but Verizon uses their own proprietary data collection tools that do not involve third parties. I do know that when all this first blew up in 2011 that T-Mobile was using their software - however that could have changed in the ensuing years.
    T-Mobile did use it some then, but it doesn't seem to be on the T-Mobile Note 5.
    10-07-2015 05:48 PM
    So there is no tracking software on an iPhone?
    From what I know -- no. Apple may have their own stuff but for things like 3rd party Carrier IQ? No.
    10-07-2015 06:02 PM
    It won't show up in battery usage as "Carrier IQ" or "IQ Agent Service". It is buried in the "Android System" battery usage.
    True but if you click on the OS icons in battery usage it will open the page telling you exactly what service was running. At least it does on my Verizon Note 5.
    10-07-2015 06:43 PM
    Carrier IQ is old news from years back. If you never heard of it then you must be new to Android.

AT&T has been using that crap for awhile now.
    Actually, I am very old to Android and do seem to remember some law suit about spyware but didn't remember the name. But with the US gov't strapped for money I wouldn't doubt the NSA is selling there stolen data to everyone under the sun
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    10-07-2015 06:47 PM
    Um....
    You guys do know that pretty much every single modern government has an electronic communications monitoring service that works alongside their federal police and intelligence agencies that deploy tools that make carrier IQ look like amateur hour... right? If you think those governments are actually relying on CIQ then that's pretty laughable. That would be like the police approaching a shopping mall cop and saying "hey bud, we're really counting on you to come through for us in bringing down this mafia crime syndicate". Speaking of police, this kind of tech has proliferated so much now that even local municipal police departments have the ability to remotely snoop cell phones now. CIQ might've been a concern to me in 2011. Now they're redundant. They're like a private investigator staking out my house to see if I'm operating a home business without a license while I stand in front of my house holding a sign that says "I'm operating a home business without a license", taking selfies of that and emailing it to the authorities.

How is CIQ going to affect you in the real world? Collect your information for the government? No, they have superior tools already deployed for that. Collect your information for police? Ditto. Collect your info for advertisers? You've already been giving them that for years now via website cookies, data analytics, and numerous other tools. Your ISP? Whether they do it in-house or contract it to CIQ the end result is the same.

A more accurate title for this thread would be:
    "Those concerned about privacy. Yes you gave that up already to the point that Carrier IQ doesn't even put a dent in it"
    reidcc, beh, NatalieB2015 and 1 others like this.
    10-07-2015 08:04 PM
    Um....
    You guys do know that pretty much every single modern government has an electronic communications monitoring service that works alongside their federal police and intelligence agencies that deploy tools that make carrier IQ look like amateur hour... right? If you think those governments are actually relying on CIQ then that's pretty laughable. That would be like the police approaching a shopping mall cop and saying "hey bud, we're really counting on you to come through for us in bringing down this mafia crime syndicate". Speaking of police, this kind of tech has proliferated so much now that even local municipal police departments have the ability to remotely snoop cell phones now. CIQ might've been a concern to me in 2011. Now they're redundant. They're like a private investigator staking out my house to see if I'm operating a home business without a license while I stand in front of my house holding a sign that says "I'm operating a home business without a license", taking selfies of that and emailing it to the authorities.

How is CIQ going to affect you in the real world? Collect your information for the government? No, they have superior tools already deployed for that. Collect your information for police? Ditto. Collect your info for advertisers? You've already been giving them that for years now via website cookies, data analytics, and numerous other tools. Your ISP? Whether they do it in-house or contract it to CIQ the end result is the same.

A more accurate title for this thread would be:
    "Those concerned about privacy. Yes you gave that up already to the point that Carrier IQ doesn't even put a dent in it"
    Yes! Absolutely! But if folks didn't have "security" to talk about the only rants here would be about "battery life"
    ramiss likes this.
    10-08-2015 10:56 AM
    I don't have this app on my phone at all. I'm using an AT&T branded Note5.
    10-08-2015 11:12 AM
    I don't have this app on my phone at all. I'm using an AT&T branded Note5.
    Pretty sure you probably do....

Under one of these...

Kelly Kearns likes this.
    10-08-2015 11:22 AM
    Definitely in your AT&T Note 5...
    Go to: Settings>Application Manager>Running. Look down at "Android System". There might be two "Android System" processes running so open both and look for "Agent IQ Service". You can select "Stop" but it will reactivate within minutes by itself.
    Didn't find it in my international verison of the S6 edge+ 64GB in Dubai
    10-08-2015 11:39 AM
    Yes! Absolutely! But if folks didn't have "security" to talk about the only rants here would be about "battery life"
    Hi all,
    You can look at it any way you want but at the end of the day there is NO WAY I'm giving up my personal phones information to a third party vendor who then relays this information to AT&T. Whether I show up as a line of 1's and 0's or my physical IMEI and cell number show up....NO WAY they are getting info from me. And to top it off they hide it in the phone so the average Joe can't find it then make it so we can't delete or disable it.

If the US Government wants my info they know how to reach me, I pay taxes...and a LOT of them. But third party Silicon Valley data analytics....NO THANKS
    Carrier IQ: What it is, what it isn't, and what you need to know
    10-08-2015 12:17 PM
    Didn't find it in my international verison of the S6 edge+ 64GB in Dubai
    Correct...It is not in the international versions with no branding.
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    10-08-2015 12:26 PM
    I couldn't careless to be honest. I will say, this is a prime example of why I don't use any 'phone pay' features. Like Samsung Pay or Apple Pay, etc.
    As for data, I couldn't careless who reads my stuff...
    H3aTeRzz, Carlo Villa and SMocek like this.
    10-08-2015 01:01 PM
    I couldn't careless to be honest. I will say, this is a prime example of why I don't use any 'phone pay' features. Like Samsung Pay or Apple Pay, etc.
    As for data, I couldn't careless who reads my stuff...
    I think you mean "could"...care less
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    10-08-2015 01:57 PM
93 1234