Those concerned about privacy. Yes you have spyware called Carrier IQ installed in your Note 5...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Im done with all that stuff. Privacy means just that. When your privacy has been invaded before, it won't be tolerated again. Note 5 will be sold. iPhone 6s Plus in use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you read through the Apple terms to fully understand what they collect and what they do with it? You may be surprised.

Everyone collects data now a days .. it is pretty impossible to avoid. I agree the carrier IQ is a bit far and still say it shouldn't be there but to expect that iPhone instantly means you're 100% secure and nothing is being leached is a far stretch.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How the phone is doing "stats" I'm ok with. Keystrokes --- NO F'ING way is this acceptable!! - So how do you know it records keystrokes?

And all the info on the phone is available and accessible, no matter who your carrier is.

This privacy horse left the barn long ago and doesn't look like it I'd going back in the barn any time soon.

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Been checking and haven't see it at all. Used the Lookout Mobile IQ Detector and still not found. Have been checking for 2 days now and nothing. I'm using the Vzw Note 5.

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
And all the info on the phone is available and accessible, no matter who your carrier is.

This privacy horse left the barn long ago and doesn't look like it I'd going back in the barn any time soon.

Hi Kelly,

I have disabled ALL reporting services in iPhone's privacy>diagnostics and usage. So if they are still digging into my iPhone then sooner or later Apple will be standing in front of the Supreme Court answering questions and paying fines...that they can afford LOL

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kelly,

I have disabled ALL reporting services in iPhone's privacy>diagnostics and usage. So if they are still digging into my iPhone then sooner or later Apple will be standing in front of the Supreme Court answering questions and paying fines...that they can afford LOL

The FISA Court allows this and the SCOTUS won't do anything because the government just has to say "national security" and then they don't even have to confirm or deny your phone has info gathered on it.

The government has won all the cases and The Patriot Act gives the government power to snoop without oversight.. Well the rubber stamping secret court with secret warrants, that only answers to the POTUS is the oversight.

PRISM and government doesn't depend on reports you can turn off and on.

So..

anon(9652351)

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
The FISA Court allows this and the SCOTUS won't do anything because the government just has to say "national security" and then they don't even have to confirm or deny your phone has info gathered on it.

The government has won all the cases and The Patriot Act gives the government power to snoop without oversight.. Well the rubber stamping secret court with secret warrants, that only answers to the POTUS is the oversight.

PRISM and government doesn't depend on reports you can turn off and on.

So..

So that is exactly what my attorney is looking into at the moment with Carrier IQ. Is what they are gathering from my device considered "National Security"?? The gray area in privacy and correct me all if I'm wrong is....What exactly is being collected and for what purposes? If Carrier IQ is collecting my phone conversations, keystrokes, etc.. for personal matters between Carrier IQ and AT&T then NO!!!! If Uncle Sam wants to listen in to make the world a safer place and determine who is a terriorist and who is not, then the US Government can have all the access it wants to my phone, I've nothing to hide. It's the public sector and their secretive and insecure handling of my information that scares me.

notfaded1

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Weird...

Before you posted this, I had found the process running on my device, as described by the OP, as to where it would be in "running processes." I stopped the service and kept checking and didn't see it pop up. 30 minute span of time, till I got this, and checked....and it said,"your device does not have Carrier IQ!?" How could it be there, but not this app says its not?
Perhaps those little buggers have fingured out a way around the testing app now o_O!

ramiss

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
So that is exactly what my attorney is looking into at the moment with Carrier IQ. Is what they are gathering from my device considered "National Security"?? The gray area in privacy and correct me all if I'm wrong is....What exactly is being collected and for what purposes? If Carrier IQ is collecting my phone conversations, keystrokes, etc.. for personal matters between Carrier IQ and AT&T then NO!!!! If Uncle Sam wants to listen in to make the world a safer place and determine who is a terriorist and who is not, then the US Government can have all the access it wants to my phone, I've nothing to hide. It's the public sector and their secretive and insecure handling of my information that scares me.
I agree 100% with this. And if your council needs additional numbers them count me in.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Anything the government decides is national security, is national security.

Listening in and saying doesn't help. Again, NSA was put together after Pearl Harbor to make sure we never have another attack on the US, anywhere.

How well has that worked out?

Now the US is using the public sector to gather their information.

Honestly, I would prefer the public sector to have the info than the government to have it. The government can do a lot more damage than the public sector.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ahh good ole Carrier IQ. This seems to crop up every couple of years. The big drop was back in 2011, when some techy guy posted a video proving Carrier IQ was recording keystrokes, which caused quite a stir and even prompted Senator Al Franken to write letters to the carriers and initiate his own investigation. I had a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 at the time (Epic 4G Touch) and there was a developer who even created a Carrier IQ removal tool. If memory serves me, carriers backed off using the software, and I think Sprint even removed it from their devices. Then it cropped up again two years ago, and my AT&T LG G2 had it installed. I ended up rooting my phone and used a sysem tuner app to keep the CIQ processes from restarting.

Verizon doesn't use Carrier IQ because they have their own software that essentially does the same thing. If I recall, T Mobile had it on their LG G2 but allowed users the options to disable it. AT&T buried it for awhile but when it was found they were using it again a couple of years ago they basically said sorry, deal with it.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm English, and we've always said, "...couldn't". Regardless, I don't care that it the Note 5, or carriers have said 'spyware'. Which item that connects online doesn't have some type of tracking or spying, or cookie type setup?

I think you mean "could"...care less

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Ahh good ole Carrier IQ. This seems to crop up every couple of years. The big drop was back in 2011, when some techy guy posted a video proving Carrier IQ was recording keystrokes, which caused quite a stir and even prompted Senator Al Franken to write letters to the carriers and initiate his own investigation. I had a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 at the time (Epic 4G Touch) and there was a developer who even created a Carrier IQ removal tool. If memory serves me, carriers backed off using the software, and I think Sprint even removed it from their devices. Then it cropped up again two years ago, and my AT&T LG G2 had it installed. I ended up rooting my phone and used a sysem tuner app to keep the CIQ processes from restarting.

Verizon doesn't use Carrier IQ because they have their own software that essentially does the same thing. If I recall, T Mobile had it on their LG G2 but allowed users the options to disable it. AT&T buried it for awhile but when it was found they were using it again a couple of years ago they basically said sorry, deal with it.

Of course. As with all things labelled under national security, as soon as a stink gets made about it, people are really deluding themselves if they think "oh this has gone public! Lucy has some 'esplaining to do!" No. They bury it, fire it off to a top secret department that doesn't have to answer to anyone and it's back in business. The sooner people realize this is how the real world works, the sooner they'll realize that they can and do pretty much whatever they want regardless of how many Alex Jones podcasts or Jesse Ventura TV shows there are about it. Want change? Then you better be prepared to stop reading mainstream news and voting for mainstream political parties and hunker down for a long fight.

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
No Carrier IQ on my Sprint Note 4.

If you're really concerned about your phone reporting things about you and your location, don't buy an Android phone. It reports a ton of information to Google by default, and reports a lot about your phone to your carrier. If the possibility that your phone is sending information to someone bothers you, don't use a phone. Just go live in a cabin in the mountains that's completely off the grid.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Honest question: The fact that the phone is now using a logger that collects and sends my keystrokes, which is my personal information, do I have the right to return the device even though its been 1.5 months?

Does ATT service agreement state the fact that they use CarrierIQ and collect personal information?

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke