10-11-2015 08:04 PM
66 123
tools
    I use cloudmagic.

sent using my Galaxy Note 5 via The Uncarrier
    10-07-2015 08:33 PM
    I don't need to be notified of new incoming emails, so I have the sync for Gmail app turned off.

However, this means I have to open the Gmail app, then swipe down and wait for it to check & download new emails.

Is there an email app that will does NOT sync by itself, but will automatically sync as soon as I open the email app? (skipping the swipe down that I need to do with Gmail app)

Thanks!
    10-07-2015 08:41 PM
    I don't need to be notified of new incoming emails, so I have the sync for Gmail app turned off.

However, this means I have to open the Gmail app, then swipe down and wait for it to check & download new emails.

Is there an email app that will does NOT sync by itself, but will automatically sync as soon as I open the email app? (skipping the swipe down that I need to do with Gmail app)

Thanks!
    If all you care about is not getting notifications... You can let it sync normally... Just turn notifications off. I have 3 emails on my Gmail app... All push sync but I only get notification for 1 that I want... Other notifications are turned off.
    10-07-2015 08:48 PM
    Been looking around on Google play. What is the difference in BlueMail and TypeMail? They look virtually the same....

Anyone used either vs Outlook app?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-07-2015 09:01 PM
    To me I Love TypeMail because they have better functions and features, bells and whistles that other emails just don't have, yet. But, I did use Maildroid Pro, but it was so....blah..boring.
    10-07-2015 09:11 PM
    Ok, I use Gmail for one of our apps accounts, then I have another account we use outlook on desktop and the native app for that one. Can you use Gmail for an email that isn't Google apps?
    Absolutely you can. The Gmail app can handle all those accounts. Most email apps can, so you can unify all your email in one place.

I love Cloud Magic.
    Unfortunately, like TypeMail and BlueMail, Cloud Magic is, as it's name suggests, a cloud-based email client. Meaning that instead of downloading email directly from the email server to you, it's downloaded to Cloud Magic's (or someone's) servers. What happens then...? Your password is kept on their servers and other information about you may be shared. A definite security and privacy risk.

Please, see this for details:

http://androidforums.com/threads/ema.../#post-7051405

I use the app called 'Mailbox" from Dropbox. Works perfect for me.
    Mailbox is not included in the listings linked above. You may want to check into it yourself.

I use Nine Folders for my exchange email from work,, and the gmail app for my personal email, Nine doesn't work with GMail.
    Nine is nice if you need ActiveSync support.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    10-07-2015 09:57 PM
    @Crashdamage, Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of aqua mail! I'm still exploring, but so far really digging it! I still have some poking around to do, but the interface offers a lot of customization options and I may well be able to ferret out what I'm looking for.

Picking up the Pro version seems highly likely if things continue to go as well as they are. Thanks again!

Posted via the Android Central App
    Crashdamage likes this.
    10-08-2015 12:22 AM
    Glad you like it! It has so many options and customizations it freaks some users out. Definitely some learning curve to get the best out of it.

AquaMail is just terrific. If you haven't read the Privacy Statement, do it! Yes, the Privacy Statement, I'm serious!

Hints:
    The built-in Help/FAQ is really handy. So is the AquaMail forum.
    Check out the Smart Folder. A kinda configurable tricked-out combined Inbox.
    The UI is really good, but there's so many options a menu might not be obvious. When in doubt, long-press it out.
    If you like a Gmail style conversation view, it will be added as an option soon. In development now, high priority.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001
    10-08-2015 01:18 AM
    I use the app called 'Mailbox" from Dropbox. Works perfect for me.
    Mailbox is another app with privacy/security concerns. I've added it to the list here:
    http://androidforums.com/threads/ema...rivate.935578/
    10-08-2015 07:09 AM
    Glad you like it! It has so many options and customizations it freaks some users out. Definitely some learning curve to get the best out of it.

AquaMail is just terrific. If you haven't read the Privacy Statement, do it! Yes, the Privacy Statement, I'm serious!

Hints:
    The built-in Help/FAQ is really handy. So is the AquaMail forum.
    Check out the Smart Folder. A kinda configurable tricked-out combined Inbox.
    The UI is really good, but there's so many options a menu might not be obvious. When in doubt, long-press it out.
    If you like a Gmail style conversation view, it will be added as an option soon. In development now, high priority.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

I'm pretty far along with customizations and loving it. Definitely hopped o the Smart Folder -- much better than Gmail's Priority Inbox.

One thing that jumps out at me is that I can pick which of my desktop Gmail labels to display in AquaMail. I have quite a few labels that are mostly just filing cabinets for old mail. I hide them on desktop Gmail, but the mobile app displays them all. It bugs me AND it gets in my way. It's a small-enough thing that I understand how it wouldn't show up on most people's radar, but to me, solving "pebble in the shoe" kinds of problems is a big, big deal.

Next stop: the Privacy Statement. I'm looking forward to it! I hadn't realized how hazardous a lot of the other email apps are until I was checking out reviews of the mail apps that I've looked into as a result of this thread. I mooooostly feel like people like talking about privacy rather than living private lives (tagging yourself on Facebook? Not private) -- but man, some of the things those other mail apps are doing is insanity.

Thanks again! Will be sure to follow up if I need more help.....
    Crashdamage likes this.
    10-08-2015 11:01 AM
    Yeah, the Smart Folder is brilliant! Did you see that not only can you choose what folders appear in the folder list view, you can choose what folders appear in the Smart Folder. Very cool feature. And there's a Smart Folder widget.

Also, you can have a unified Drafts folder. Don't forget to check out all the colorization options, there's a lot. The AquaMail UI is really good - simple, fast and attractive. By making use of the colorization, you can really make it your own, and it actually adds to the usability of the UI.

There's more stuff you'll find as you go through all the menus.

AquaMail is not just the best email client I've ever used, it's one of the best Android apps of any kind I've ever used.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    10-08-2015 12:10 PM
    I have just started using Aqmamail as well and I am loving it, though there is a steep learning curve with this app.

Quick question - If I am using Aqmamail, is it possible for me to remove account from Gmail app? Is the only option to disable Gmail using Package Disabler or can I just remove my email accounts from GMAIL app and have it stop running.
    10-08-2015 02:01 PM
    Yeah, quite a bit there in AquaMail. But that's part of what makes it so good. Once you get it setup, don't forget to create a backup file and keep a copy off the phone. If you lose the phone or get a new one, it will let you restore everything just as it was, accounts and all, no need to do all the setup again. Backup does not save downloaded email.

I don't see any point in removing your accounts in Gmail. Leave them there, you can have Gmail as a backup app or in case you change your mind and and decide go back to it.

Just disable it like this:
    Settings > Apps > All (scroll right a bit to see) > Gmail > Force stop > Disable.
    10-08-2015 02:18 PM
    Yeah, quite a bit there in AquaMail. But that's part of what makes it so good. Once you get it setup, don't forget to create a backup file and keep a copy off the phone. If you lose the phone or get a new one, it will let you restore everything just as it was, accounts and all, no need to do all the setup again. Backup does not save downloaded email.

I don't see any point in removing your accounts in Gmail. Leave them there, you can have Gmail as a backup app or in case you change your mind and and decide go back to it.

Just disable it like this:
    Settings > Apps > All (scroll right a bit to see) > Gmail > Force stop > Disable.
    Maybe I will leave it just disable. Just didnt want it to run and use battery if I am not going to use it.
    10-08-2015 02:22 PM
    Why don't you just tell the Gmail app not to sync the account? (sorry if I am being dense with that question).
    10-08-2015 02:56 PM
    I just disable it because it stops all the accounts at once instead of having to disable sync in each one. Just a bit simpler, same effect either way I guess.
    10-08-2015 02:59 PM
    I just disable it because it stops all the accounts at once instead of having to disable sync in each one. Just a bit simpler, same effect either way I guess.
    I just disabled it as well.

Aquamail does support Google labels, right?
    10-08-2015 03:20 PM
    Okay, I'm trying to get used to AquaMail, but is there Not a way to set up Do Not Disturb times so that email does NOT go off in the night ? ( I Use Do Not Disturb feature for Note 5 , BUT the emails would NOT chime in the middle of the night due to Typemail's set up of Do Not Disturb during these x hours) there Not a way to customize Notification tones for Individual accounts? I looked at both of my accounts (Gmail and hotmail), Both have the same ringtone sound. I don't want that. Mail Check Interval, there's no Push when email instantly arrives? I don't like this either. Really missing TypeMail.
    10-08-2015 03:36 PM
    Aquamail does support Google labels, right?
    Of course, though like any other email client except Gmail, it calls them folders. Differebce is Gmail allows an email to reside in more than one folder, so Gmail says they're 'labeled' instead of stored in a folder. Eh. Splittin' hairs.
    10-08-2015 03:48 PM
    @calicocat2010:

AquaMail has all that covered. There's schedule options options for Nighttime notification, Weekend notifications, even to make your Weekend notifications schedule enabled during the week. There are individual account notification settings. Ringtone settings. Mail check intervals. Push email. All that stuff. I'll post back here with details in a bit.
    10-08-2015 03:54 PM
    Okay, I'm trying to get used to AquaMail, but is there Not a way to set up Do Not Disturb times so that email does NOT go off in the night ? ( I Use Do Not Disturb feature for Note 5 , BUT the emails would NOT chime in the middle of the night due to Typemail's set up of Do Not Disturb during these x hours)
    Settings > Nights and weekends
    There are lots of options here. Schedule settings for notifications and mail checks, for turning them on/off for weekends, nights, all day, shift night mode on certain days, turn IMAP Push on/off one certain days, adjust the mail check schedule, etc. Should be an option for anything you need.

there Not a way to customize Notification tones for Individual accounts? I looked at both of my accounts (Gmail and hotmail), Both have the same ringtone sound. I don't want that.
    To set individual account notifications:
    In the Account List view, long-press on the account titlebar, on the account name.
    This pops up a menu. Tap Special settings.
    Next menu, turn on Message notifications. Then tap right on the words 'Message notifications'.
    Another large menu opens with quite a few options. Here you can choose the notification sound for the account, notification LED color, turn vibration on/off, etc. Plenty of options to customize to suit.

To set global notifications:
    Tap Settings.
    Tap Message notifications.
    Or tap Send notifications.
    Or tap Error notifications.
    Lots of options in all of those - sound, LED color, etc etc.

Mail Check Interval, there's no Push when email instantly arrives? I don't like this either. Really missing TypeMail.
    Again, lots of options to customize Push email . IMAP Push can be turned on/off or scheduled globally or per account.
    To set IMAP Push globally:
    Settings > Mail, receiving (scroll down some) scheduling, on/off.
    Settings > Nights and weekends - more IMAP scheduling options, on/off.
    To set IMAP Push per account:
    Long-press on the account titlebar.
    Tap Options and folders, then tap Account options.
    There's an IMAP Push option and some scheduling options.
    Also some IMAP options in Options and folders.
    Plus, in Account Options and folders, tap Folders. This opens up a list of folders for that account, with several available options.
    For IMAP on/off for an individual folder, tap on the gear icon to the right. You can turn IMAP on/off, change color of the folder color chip, or show/no show the folder in the Smart Folder.
    Tap on the folder name to change the folder's sync settings.

Like I said, lots of options to setup AquaMail just like you want it.

Did you read the link regarding TypeMail (and others) and privacy and security?

10-08-2015 05:01 PM
    Settings > Nights and weekends
    There are lots of options here. Schedule settings for notifications and mail checks, for turning them on/off for weekends, nights, all day, shift night mode on certain days, turn IMAP Push on/off one certain days, adjust the mail check schedule, etc. Should be an option for anything you need.

To set individual account notifications, in the Account List view, long-press on the account titlebar, the account name.
    This pops up a menu. Tap Special settings.
    Next menu, turn on Message notifications. Then tap right on the words 'Message notifications'.
    Another large menu opens with quite a few options. Here you can choose the notification sound for the account, notification LED color, turn vibration on/off, etc. Plenty of options to customize to suit.

Again, lots of options to customize Push email . IMAP Push can be turned on/off or scheduled globally or per account.
    To set IMAP Push globally:
    Settings > Mail, receiving (scroll down some) scheduling, on/off.
    Settings > Nights and weekends - more IMAP scheduling options, on/off.
    To set IMAP Push per account:
    Long-press on the account titlebar.
    Tap Options and folders, then tap Account options.
    There's an IMAP Push option and some scheduling options.
    Also some IMAP options in Options and folders.
    Plus, in Account Options and folders, tap Folders. This opens up a list of folders for that account, with several available options.
    For IMAP on/off for an individual folder, tap on the gear icon to the right. You can turn IMAP on/off, change color of the folder color chip, or show/no show the folder in the Smart Folder.
    Tap on the folder name to change the folder's sync settings.

Like I said, lots of options to setup AquaMail just like you want it.

Did you read the link regarding TypeMail (and others) and privacy and security?

Yeah, I read the Android forum with the link you provided for everyone to see. Is there a way to stop the backing up because it's slowing my phone down and causing it to become unresponsive. I've had to restart the phone twice in 5 minutes. I may just go to Maildroid Pro.
    10-08-2015 06:21 PM
    Of course, though like any other email client except Gmail, it calls them folders. Gmail just allows an email to reside in more than one folder, so Gmail says their 'labeled' instead of stored. Eh. Splittin' hairs.
    I knew that so not sure what I was asking there

Any idea why AquaMail is top battery hogger? Could I have screwed up anything in settings?
    10-08-2015 06:36 PM
    Yeah, I read the Android forum with the link you provided for everyone to see. Is there a way to stop the backing up because it's slowing my phone down and causing it to become unresponsive. I've had to restart the phone twice in 5 minutes. I may just go to Maildroid Pro.
    AquaMail does not do automatic backups. It only does it backup when you tell it to. Not at all sure what you're talking about.

Never seen a complaint about it slowing down a phone. AquaMail is very, very fast and stable.

10-08-2015 06:48 PM
    I knew that so not sure what I was asking there

Any idea why AquaMail is top battery hogger? Could I have screwed up anything in settings?
    Maybe you should go through the settings again. It's always been very power-friendly for me.

And remember, battery stats are relative. If you've been fooling around with AquaMail quite a bit, it will show high usage *relative to* other apps. That doesn't mean it's using an unusual amount of power. It just means you've used it more.

10-08-2015 06:58 PM
66 123