Alternative email app?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I just disable it because it stops all the accounts at once instead of having to disable sync in each one. Just a bit simpler, same effect either way I guess.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'm trying to get used to AquaMail, but is there Not a way to set up Do Not Disturb times so that email does NOT go off in the night ? ( I Use Do Not Disturb feature for Note 5 , BUT the emails would NOT chime in the middle of the night due to Typemail's set up of Do Not Disturb during these x hours) there Not a way to customize Notification tones for Individual accounts? I looked at both of my accounts (Gmail and hotmail), Both have the same ringtone sound. I don't want that. Mail Check Interval, there's no Push when email instantly arrives? I don't like this either. Really missing TypeMail.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Aquamail does support Google labels, right?
Of course, though like any other email client except Gmail, it calls them folders. Differebce is Gmail allows an email to reside in more than one folder, so Gmail says they're 'labeled' instead of stored in a folder. Eh. Splittin' hairs.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
@calicocat2010:

AquaMail has all that covered. There's schedule options options for Nighttime notification, Weekend notifications, even to make your Weekend notifications schedule enabled during the week. There are individual account notification settings. Ringtone settings. Mail check intervals. Push email. All that stuff. I'll post back here with details in a bit.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I'm trying to get used to AquaMail, but is there Not a way to set up Do Not Disturb times so that email does NOT go off in the night ? ( I Use Do Not Disturb feature for Note 5 , BUT the emails would NOT chime in the middle of the night due to Typemail's set up of Do Not Disturb during these x hours)
Settings > Nights and weekends
There are lots of options here. Schedule settings for notifications and mail checks, for turning them on/off for weekends, nights, all day, shift night mode on certain days, turn IMAP Push on/off one certain days, adjust the mail check schedule, etc. Should be an option for anything you need.

there Not a way to customize Notification tones for Individual accounts? I looked at both of my accounts (Gmail and hotmail), Both have the same ringtone sound. I don't want that.
To set individual account notifications:
In the Account List view, long-press on the account titlebar, on the account name.
This pops up a menu. Tap Special settings.
Next menu, turn on Message notifications. Then tap right on the words 'Message notifications'.
Another large menu opens with quite a few options. Here you can choose the notification sound for the account, notification LED color, turn vibration on/off, etc. Plenty of options to customize to suit.

To set global notifications:
Tap Settings.
Tap Message notifications.
Or tap Send notifications.
Or tap Error notifications.
Lots of options in all of those - sound, LED color, etc etc.

Mail Check Interval, there's no Push when email instantly arrives? I don't like this either. Really missing TypeMail.
Again, lots of options to customize Push email . IMAP Push can be turned on/off or scheduled globally or per account.
To set IMAP Push globally:
Settings > Mail, receiving (scroll down some) scheduling, on/off.
Settings > Nights and weekends - more IMAP scheduling options, on/off.
To set IMAP Push per account:
Long-press on the account titlebar.
Tap Options and folders, then tap Account options.
There's an IMAP Push option and some scheduling options.
Also some IMAP options in Options and folders.
Plus, in Account Options and folders, tap Folders. This opens up a list of folders for that account, with several available options.
For IMAP on/off for an individual folder, tap on the gear icon to the right. You can turn IMAP on/off, change color of the folder color chip, or show/no show the folder in the Smart Folder.
Tap on the folder name to change the folder's sync settings.

Like I said, lots of options to setup AquaMail just like you want it.

Did you read the link regarding TypeMail (and others) and privacy and security?

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

Last edited:

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Settings > Nights and weekends
There are lots of options here. Schedule settings for notifications and mail checks, for turning them on/off for weekends, nights, all day, shift night mode on certain days, turn IMAP Push on/off one certain days, adjust the mail check schedule, etc. Should be an option for anything you need.

To set individual account notifications, in the Account List view, long-press on the account titlebar, the account name.
This pops up a menu. Tap Special settings.
Next menu, turn on Message notifications. Then tap right on the words 'Message notifications'.
Another large menu opens with quite a few options. Here you can choose the notification sound for the account, notification LED color, turn vibration on/off, etc. Plenty of options to customize to suit.

Again, lots of options to customize Push email . IMAP Push can be turned on/off or scheduled globally or per account.
To set IMAP Push globally:
Settings > Mail, receiving (scroll down some) scheduling, on/off.
Settings > Nights and weekends - more IMAP scheduling options, on/off.
To set IMAP Push per account:
Long-press on the account titlebar.
Tap Options and folders, then tap Account options.
There's an IMAP Push option and some scheduling options.
Also some IMAP options in Options and folders.
Plus, in Account Options and folders, tap Folders. This opens up a list of folders for that account, with several available options.
For IMAP on/off for an individual folder, tap on the gear icon to the right. You can turn IMAP on/off, change color of the folder color chip, or show/no show the folder in the Smart Folder.
Tap on the folder name to change the folder's sync settings.

Like I said, lots of options to setup AquaMail just like you want it.

Did you read the link regarding TypeMail (and others) and privacy and security?

Yeah, I read the Android forum with the link you provided for everyone to see. Is there a way to stop the backing up because it's slowing my phone down and causing it to become unresponsive. I've had to restart the phone twice in 5 minutes. I may just go to Maildroid Pro.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Of course, though like any other email client except Gmail, it calls them folders. Gmail just allows an email to reside in more than one folder, so Gmail says their 'labeled' instead of stored. Eh. Splittin' hairs.

I knew that so not sure what I was asking there :)

Any idea why AquaMail is top battery hogger? Could I have screwed up anything in settings?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I read the Android forum with the link you provided for everyone to see. Is there a way to stop the backing up because it's slowing my phone down and causing it to become unresponsive. I've had to restart the phone twice in 5 minutes. I may just go to Maildroid Pro.
AquaMail does not do automatic backups. It only does it backup when you tell it to. Not at all sure what you're talking about.

Never seen a complaint about it slowing down a phone. AquaMail is very, very fast and stable.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I knew that so not sure what I was asking there :)

Any idea why AquaMail is top battery hogger? Could I have screwed up anything in settings?
Maybe you should go through the settings again. It's always been very power-friendly for me.

And remember, battery stats are relative. If you've been fooling around with AquaMail quite a bit, it will show high usage *relative to* other apps. That doesn't mean it's using an unusual amount of power. It just means you've used it more.

Last edited:

Willyman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to like Outlook because I think the look is the most professional, but it has some bad sides which made me look elsewhere (lousy picture previews, random crashes, ...).

Using Nine right now and loving it. The condensed conversation view is very useful. The swipe features work great and you get used to them quickly. Fast, fluid, retrieves exchange e-mail instantly. Yup, a winner.

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Crashdamage, I hate to ask you questions about Aqua Mail here -- does it need its own thread? -- but I'm going to take you up on your offer to ask about things that I couldn't find in the seveloper's FAQ or at the forums. You're answering much more quickly. :)

-- There are several folders/labels from Gmail that aren't showing up. Notably, the labels for my boss and the people I directly manage. ie, the 2 most important labels in Gmail for me besides the one for my wife, which is thankfully showing up. The two business labels I mentioned though also don't appear in the Other Labels list.

Just for grins, I tried to creating those folders locally, but got an error message that I couldn't create a duplicate folder...so it knows the folders are there. It just won't show them.

I followed the developer's instructions of deleting my account and starting over. Bummer. I'd customized the spit outta that thing...but still no avail.

-- Is IMAP the only spam folder? Because I never get IMAP spam, but I get spam out the wazoo in Gmail. I can't find any information there about this in the FAQ/forums.

Either one of those bouncing the wrong way would be enough to make me stop using it, which I'd hate. I really love it!

Suggestions much appreciated!

PS. And yes, the Privacy policy is a real pleasure to read. I'd have skipped it if you hadn't pointed me there. :)

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm...I've never had a problem getting folders to show up in the Folder list view. If they aren't there just go to: Account options > Show "Other folders" and enable that. Then Other folders appears in the Folder list, at the bottom. Tap on that, set sync on folders to add to the Folder list (a folder must be synced to appear in the Folder list) and you should be good.
In the FAQ see: 'How do I access server side folders?'

Now the spam question...I'm not clear about what you mean by "Is IMAP the only spam folder? Because I never get IMAP spam, but I get spam out the wazoo in Gmail." I just don't get it. IMAP is a system not an account. ???
Maybe these links will explain [IMAP] folders better:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78757?hl=en
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/82367?hl=en

If it helps, I have my Gmail accounts' spam folders set as 'Sync as spam, not in Smart Folder'.
In the FAQ see: 'Moving messages into spam folder.'
...and 'How are folders marked with square brackets different from those that are not?'

PITA you started over once. i've used AquaMail for quite a while and never needed to do that. I've done a lot of customization so hopefully I never will. But you should be able to save a backup so you never do. Next time, just delete the account instead of starting totally from scratch. That way you save a lot of settings not specific to that account.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
So, Aquamail is the one?
That's up to you, whether it best suits your needs and if you just like it. I like it best by far. Some people find it to be too complicated and are happier with a simpler client. They don't want to be faced with so many choices. That's fine. No one email client is best for everyone.

But, the extensive configuration options and customizability means AquaMail can be setup to work well with almost any email service worldwide.

It's fast, stable, well supported, very secure (passes EmailPrivacyTest.com 100%) and to my eyes and fingers, has a terrific UI.

With one caveat...If you need full support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync AquaMail is not for you. I suggest Nine for that. If you can use Exchange with IMAP or EWS, AquaMail will work very well.

If AquaMail doesn't do it for you, I suggest trying K-9 or Maildroid.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

metropolitim

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I've enabled Other Folders, and the ones I need are not on the list.

I realized that another one of the folders/labels not showing is the one for Spam! No wonder I couldn't figure out where to send Spam!

Which I realize raises the question. Aquamail works locally, so even if I was moving emails to the spam folder I wouldn't actually be teaching either Aquamail or Gmail anything new about what spam means to me. Gmail is still doing the fetching and sorting? Is that right? So I might as well just be deleting it in AquaMail anyway, and not worry about how it's labeled, yes? Or is the relationship a little more dynamic than that?

I believe you that this is a rare state. I certainly couldn't find any reference to similar problems at the Aqua Mail forums.

The good news is that I had indeed only deleted the account. When I tried to bring in the folders again, I was very pleasantly surprised at the number of settings that stayed intact... but those three are still not there.

I've played with every folders-related setting that I can find to see if maybe it's something that I did to make those three specific folders not appear.

In the meantime, it's sad to say that I've gone back to Gmail, at least for the day. I'll see if I can figure it out this weekend.

Posted via the Android Central App