10-11-2015 08:04 PM
66 123
tools
    I've been using the stock email app for my work email. Just wondering what else others are using out there?

For some reason it seems I can't type as well in it, like it doesn't auto correct as normal. Maybe it's me but it seems that way.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-07-2015 01:03 PM
    I use BlueMail. I like it. Works well with my Gmail account.

10-07-2015 01:07 PM
    I've been using aqua mail. Works great

10-07-2015 01:09 PM
    Why not Gmail? I use that one to check all my other email too (Yahoo, corporate, etc). Push notifications, email alerts from selected labels, the whole bit. I haven't seen another email client that offers anything Gmail doesn't.

Perhaps less compelling if you don't already use Gmail. LOL It's hard for me to consider switching because I've lived in Gmail as my primary environment for 10 years now. I have a couple dozen labels and hundreds of filters. Do any other email apps support those? Because stuff just piling up in an inbox is a no-go.

That said, there are things I'd love to do that Gmail doesn't allow. I'd love much more formatting (even just italics would be great) and label management options. Do other apps to do that better? I'm really not so dedicated to Gmail that I'm not open to alternatives. Android is all about alternatives. :-)
    10-07-2015 01:34 PM
    Blue Mail also. Lots of options and it has a dark theme.
    10-07-2015 01:34 PM
    I like TypeMail. Works great for me

eljeffe58 likes this.
    10-07-2015 01:39 PM
    @metropolitim:
    You should check out AquaMail. It's very configurable, many options and should do everything you need. Loads of color options, dark themes, etc. IMHO the best general-purpose email client available. Fast, stable, secure, and well supported.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....kman.AquaMail

K-9 and Maildroid are also good:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=com.fsck.k9
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.maildroid

I cannot recommend BlueMail or TypeMail due to serious security concerns. Please, see this for details:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7051405

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    10-07-2015 01:52 PM
    I've always stuck with the android app and GMail because, supposedly their Push protocol is less battery intensive than ActiveSync, and definitely better than periodic checks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    veritas_vincit likes this.
    10-07-2015 01:59 PM
    I've always stuck with the android app and GMail because, supposedly their Push protocol is less battery intensive than ActiveSync, and definitely better than periodic checks.
    Actually, the IMAP_IDLE command used for Push by most IMAP services is very easy on the battery, contrary to popular belief. Any of the Push systems is better than periodic checks.

10-07-2015 02:11 PM
    Actually, the IMAP_IDLE command used for Push by most IMAP services is very easy on the battery, contrary to popular belief. Any of the Push systems is better than periodic checks.

True, but then you have Contacts, Calendar, Tasks etc, which do not benefit from an IDLE feature in their protocol.

10-07-2015 02:17 PM
    But if you use Gmail contacts and stuff, they sync separately from email service, so it doesn't matter. Maybe I'm missing your point..

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001
    10-07-2015 02:28 PM
    But if you use Gmail contacts and stuff, they sync separately from email service, so it doesn't matter. Maybe I'm missing your point..

Maybe it's my assumption, but multiple processes checking gmail would seem to use more battery than just 1.

10-07-2015 02:44 PM
    I cannot recommend BlueMail or TypeMail due to serious security concerns. Please, see this for details:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7051405

Thanks for this. I might switch over to Aquamail to see how it is.

10-07-2015 02:47 PM
    Maybe it's my assumption, but multiple processes checking gmail would seem to use more battery than just 1.

Are you saying that using the Gmail app is more efficient than using a separate app such as AquaMail or K-9? Configured equally, any difference would be miniscule, totally insignificant. I'd bet on AquaMail being the stingiest.

10-07-2015 03:03 PM
    I use Touchdown (acquired by Symantec).

TouchDown by Symantec | Symantec
    mojook likes this.
    10-07-2015 03:08 PM
    Are you saying that using the Gmail app is more efficient than using a separate app such as AquaMail or K-9? Configured equally, any difference would be miniscule, totally insignificant. I'd bet on AquaMail being the stingiest.

Maybe it is apples to apples now, but when I was using the non native app a few years ago (moxier, k9, TouchDown) the consensus on many forums was that the native gmail app was much easier on the battery due to its proprietary push protocol. Maybe all the gmail compatible apps now use the same protocol.

10-07-2015 03:12 PM
    It's a common misconception that IDLE Push is a power hog. I believed it myself a few years ago. Totally untrue. If nothing else, I can say from my own experience that it's very power-friendly.

Read the link below. If you want, I can look for some backup information. I think I might have some links saved. Not at my computer right now.

http://androidforums.com/threads/why.../#post-7087023

10-07-2015 03:24 PM
    Why not Gmail? I use that one to check all my other email too (Yahoo, corporate, etc). Push notifications, email alerts from selected labels, the whole bit. I haven't seen another email client that offers anything Gmail doesn't.

Perhaps less compelling if you don't already use Gmail. LOL It's hard for me to consider switching because I've lived in Gmail as my primary environment for 10 years now. I have a couple dozen labels and hundreds of filters. Do any other email apps support those? Because stuff just piling up in an inbox is a no-go.

That said, there are things I'd love to do that Gmail doesn't allow. I'd love much more formatting (even just italics would be great) and label management options. Do other apps to do that better? I'm really not so dedicated to Gmail that I'm not open to alternatives. Android is all about alternatives. :-)
    Ok, I use Gmail for one of our apps accounts, then I have another account we use outlook on desktop and the native app for that one. Can you use Gmail for an email that isn't Google apps?

10-07-2015 04:46 PM
    I use the app called 'Mailbox" from Dropbox. Works perfect for me.
    10-07-2015 05:24 PM
    I use Nine Folders for my exchange email from work,, and the gmail app for my personal email, Nine doesn't work with GMail.

10-07-2015 05:32 PM
    I love Cloud Magic.
    boogas8 and scgf like this.
    10-07-2015 05:37 PM
    I've been using the outlook app. Love the swiping actions to delete or move into a folder.

10-07-2015 05:40 PM
    I've been using the outlook app. Love the swiping actions to delete or move into a folder.

Does you have to have an office 365 account to to use that or can you use with any email servers?

10-07-2015 07:25 PM
    Does you have to have an office 365 account to to use that or can you use with any email servers?

You can use it with any email. I use Gmail and a work email with it.

10-07-2015 07:50 PM
    I use Nine for Exchange and the stock app for all others. I like Nine as it circumvents the exchange security settings allowing me to read and respond to emails on my Gear S. Just combine with G.N.E. to do so and all is great
    10-07-2015 08:21 PM
66 123