10-24-2015 06:01 PM
83 1234
tools
    Will the Note 5 Duos receive a different Android M update from the Note 5?
    10-17-2015 05:38 AM
    Not strictly related to the topic, but I'm surprised at the number of people commenting here who seem to dislike heads up notifications. I happen to really like them and thought they were an improvement since the last time I used Android. Maybe it's because I'm mainly an iPhone user.
    Except Material Design made people put the Menu commands (... More Preferences etc) at the TOP of the screen, and the heads up pop up notifications completely cover that. For way too long.
    10-17-2015 07:45 AM
    Absolutely. It finally addresses the Lollipop battery drain issues and enables control of permissions.
    ^^^.. This
    For it's battery management alone!

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-17-2015 10:39 AM
    I've yet to own a phone that didn't work best on its original version of Google. Those little updates to fix wifi or security or whatever are good but when you go up a level in Google it seems to do more harm than good ime. Manufacturer does so much more testing on original google version phone is designed with.
    10-19-2015 07:54 PM
    I will only install Marshmallow if it meets one or all of the following criteria:

(1) runs faster/smoother
    (2) does not interfere or disable apps that I use daily
    (4) better battery life (equal or better than iPhone 6S Plus)
    (5) no extra bloatware from Samsung or Verizon
    (6) does not remove useful features that I currently use
    TripleOne and kj11 like this.
    10-19-2015 09:15 PM
    For those of us on AT&T, we have no choice but to wait a year or two before the turds start rolling it out. By then, the next Android version will be out.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5
    10-19-2015 09:19 PM
    On my nexus 6 it's super smooth .. battery life is insane

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    10-19-2015 09:47 PM
    Nexus 5 (2014 model) running 5.1.1 perfectly well. WTF was I thinking? Updated to Marshmallow and found absolutely nothing there that I can rate as a positive experience.

- Slow. Much slower than Lollipop.
    - Do not disturb (interruptions, whatever...) totally screwed up. In Lollipop, you set your morning alarm and then enabled "no interruptions until next alarm" at which time DND mode was turned off automatically. That's gone in Marshmallow!
    - Watch out for apps not yet updated for v6. I'm not talking about oddball stuff. (Some have been updated in the last few days so I guess all the 3rd party developers didn't get their GMs until very late in the game.

Luckily, I managed to find the appropriate tools and a 5.1.1 image file that let me wipe my phone and revert back to Lollipop.

I am astonished that Google's programmers just can't understand that 99% of people who use Android phones as their alarm clocks need the "DND until morning alarm and then go back to normal automatically" choice. v4 didn't have it; v5.1.1 does; v6 is missing it again. They're either morons or they only program for a paycheck and then use their iPhones after work.
    10-19-2015 10:29 PM
    I want it for one thing official fingerprint support (playstore web etcc)

10-20-2015 04:10 AM
    I also have a nexus 5 and Marshmallow runs great on it. Dont know what your talking about. Also it us a 2 year old so its not going to be blazing fast but still i had zero issues. Now lollipop was a disaster. The bugs were outrageous.

10-20-2015 04:13 AM
    I'm wondering if Marshmallow will cause any problems with FoxFi. (for Verizon unlimited data plan users)

is there a way to permanently prevent my Verizon Note 5 from being updated to Marshmallow?

Thanks!
    10-20-2015 01:14 PM
    I have been reading about Doze and everyone so far has been praising it -- It apparently really helps battery life .
    10-20-2015 01:27 PM
    I have been reading about Doze and everyone so far has been praising it -- It apparently really helps battery life .
    is there an app that can accomplish the same thing without having to wait for Marshmallow?
    10-20-2015 01:36 PM
    I'm wondering if Marshmallow will cause any problems with FoxFi. (for Verizon unlimited data plan users)

is there a way to permanently prevent my Verizon Note 5 from being updated to Marshmallow?

Thanks!
    If you have Package Disabler pro disable the two System Updates packages. Has been working for me.

10-20-2015 01:36 PM
    If you have Package Disabler pro disable the two System Updates packages. Has been working for me.

Thanks! Will look into that app. Once I save up enough money to purchase the app.
    10-20-2015 01:46 PM
    Who wouldn't?... as long as it brings the required security patches for the device, but I'm OK with 5.1. It does the job. A big improvement from the previous OS versions. It provides what I currently need. Anything else is just icing for my cake... or better say... lollipop.
    10-21-2015 12:46 PM
    Not strictly related to the topic, but I'm surprised at the number of people commenting here who seem to dislike heads up notifications. I happen to really like them and thought they were an improvement since the last time I used Android. Maybe it's because I'm mainly an iPhone user.

The heads up notifications are had because you had zero privacy if your phone is on the table or someone is looking at it. Also the notifications cover up any video, game or map. I had to turn off notifications once when driving out of town because they kept covering up my map so much I missed two exits.
    10-21-2015 01:06 PM
    Yep. This is the main reason to want Marshmallow. Battery life is fine now, but better battery life is always a plus.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    10-21-2015 01:08 PM
    is there an app that can accomplish the same thing without having to wait for Marshmallow?
    There is an app called Doze and you run it with their other app called ShutApp.
    PhiPsi32 likes this.
    10-21-2015 01:09 PM
    The heads up notifications are had because you had zero privacy if your phone is on the table or someone is looking at it. Also the notifications cover up any video, game or map. I had to turn off notifications once when driving out of town because they kept covering up my map so much I missed two exits.
    Do you not have this option....
    Attached Thumbnails Who wants 6.0 Marshmallow-1445475110145.jpg  
    10-21-2015 07:51 PM
    There is an app called Doze and you run it with their other app called ShutApp.
    I'm confused... is this the same Doze that's in Marshmallow?
    10-21-2015 07:55 PM
    Do you not have this option....
    That doesn't stop the heads up notifications, only the notifications on the lockscreen.
    10-21-2015 08:14 PM
    I'm confused... is this the same Doze that's in Marshmallow?
    No, Doze in M is different. This is an app and it works when the screen is off.
    10-21-2015 08:16 PM
    No other is different. This is an app and it works when the screen is off.
    so Google basically just stole the name from Doze and used it in Marshmallow?
    10-21-2015 08:22 PM
    I've had the Note 5 for three days now. I'm quite happy with 5.1.1. Having used S3, and N2-4, the N5 with TouchWiz and 5.1.1 is super smooth and fluid.

Although I didn't have any issues (besides lag) when my N4 was updated from Kit Kat to Lollipop, I am a bit cautious. I'm all for Marshmallow if it does not cause the overall N5 experience and capabilities to be reduced.
    10-21-2015 08:36 PM
83 1234